Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New fee to change Award Type

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2012, 10:38 pm
Original Poster

New fee to change Award Type

So I used to book 50k miles Continental reward tickets if no saver was available. Then I'd check back once in a while and if a 25k became available, I could just use the change flight function to get the saver instead.

Continental would redeposit the extra 25k miles back into my account, no fees, no problem ...

Now I read this:
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...ticketing.aspx

Changing the cabin, award type, or changing a flight to a different airline, regardless of departure date (75$ - $50, etc.)

So does this mean, that if I tried the same now with the new United, they would charge me $50 for crediting the 25k miles back???
Old Mar 27, 2012, 10:40 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by rhawke
So I used to book 50k miles Continental reward tickets if no saver was available. Then I'd check back once in a while and if a 25k became available, I could just use the change flight function to get the saver instead.

Continental would redeposit the extra 25k miles back into my account, no fees, no problem ...

Now I read this:
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...ticketing.aspx

Changing the cabin, award type, or changing a flight to a different airline, regardless of departure date (75$ - $50, etc.)

So does this mean, that if I tried the same now with the new United, they would charge me $50 for crediting the 25k miles back???
The amount depends upon your elite level (the Plat & above fee-free), but yes, you have it right.

Even with the new fees, restrictions on award tickets remain far less obnoxious than those for tickets purchased.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 10:46 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick answer. So I guess yet another point that just got worse compared to before. So far I cannot find any benefit for the customers about this merger ...

BTW: I just spent 50 minutes on the Premiere Priority line trying to get this answer. They should have a look at this forum and see how it is done ;-)
Old Mar 27, 2012, 10:59 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Thanks for the quick answer. So I guess yet another point that just got worse compared to before. So far I cannot find any benefit for the customers about this merger ...

BTW: I just spent 50 minutes on the Premiere Priority line trying to get this answer. They should have a look at this forum and see how it is done ;-)
I'll try to do better next time by putting on my best foreign accent. Or maybe all I need to do is change my FT name to John Smith and when customers mention football think they're talking about soccer...
Old Apr 20, 2012, 1:10 am
Original Member

Actually this change is worse for legacy CO flyers, but much better for legacy UA flyers. (Many changes that used to cost $150 for everyone other than 1K are now either free or much cheaper.)
Old Apr 20, 2012, 6:19 am

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
I love the new Award ticket search engine. It is far superior than UA's. I willing to pay some fees to look at all flights.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 6:58 am

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ChinaShrek
I love the new Award ticket search engine. It is far superior than UA's. I willing to pay some fees to look at all flights.
Well, you could have used the same award search option pre 3.3 by just visiting CO.com.....

But enjoy your new fees.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by hobo13
Well, you could have used the same award search option pre 3.3 by just visiting CO.com.....

But enjoy your new fees.
But the tickets wouldn't have been available, we former UA flyers have lots more seats available on *A than before.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 7:26 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Boghopper
But the tickets wouldn't have been available, we former UA flyers have lots more seats available on *A than before.
What are you possibly talking about? Ever since CO joined *A, UA and CO have been able to book the same inventory.

I'm really confused. Please explain yourself.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 12:00 am
Original Member

Another favorable change for PMUA: You can now book a single standard award on mixed metal (for example UA US-Frankfurt; LH Frankfurt to another destination) so long as saver inventory is available on the partner flight. Previously, this required two awards - standard on UA; saver on partner.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.