Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Flight Cancelled (Business Class) / Re-Booked in Economy - IDB Compensation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2012, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold

UA Flight (UA952) was cancelled due to mechanical, and I was rebooked on another flight departing a few hours later (UA932). I missed my connecting flight in FRA, and United rebooked me in economy on a non-partner airline even though my flight was originally booked with a partner airline in Business. My connecting flight's business class was completely empty.

Does this count as IDB? Can flyer talkers point me to what the correct compensation would be if so?

TIA
Old Mar 27, 2012, 2:59 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Were you upgraded from economy to business class on the original UA flight, or were you on a paid business class fare?

If the former, then UA acted appropriately. If the latter, you got royally hosed and you are due the difference between the business class fare and the economy fare.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 100% Green
UA Flight (UA952) was cancelled due to mechanical, and I was rebooked on another flight departing a few hours later (UA932). I missed my connecting flight in FRA, and United rebooked me in economy on a non-partner airline even though my flight was originally booked with a partner airline in Business. My connecting flight's business class was completely empty.

Does this count as IDB? Can flyer talkers point me to what the correct compensation would be if so?

TIA
Downgrade compensation, not IDB. Alternatively, you can ask for a refund of the UA flight.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 3:01 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry

TIA
This is not an IDB. IDB does not apply to flight cancellations..only denied boarding due to overbooking. So there is no official denied boarding compensation in this case.

Because of the downgrade you'll be entitled to get some of your miles back or your upgrade instrument..or if you paid for the ticket..a refund of the fare difference. You'll likely also get a travel cert for the inconvenience. Write customer relations and tell your story.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
Paid Business Class.

Would I be asking for the difference just for that leg or for the entire flight? How do I know what the difference is since the date has already passed?

Thank you.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 3:03 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Paid Business Class.

Would I be asking for the difference just for that leg or for the entire flight? How do I know what the difference is since the date has already passed?

Thank you.
They will tell you what the fare difference is based on the published fares at that time (they have the info).
Old Mar 27, 2012, 3:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Paid Business Class.

Thank you.
Involuntary Denied Boarding means you were denied boarding. By its own terms it does not apply.

You accepted a reroute which included a segment in Y. Your options were to wait for a flight where C/J was available to accept the Y downgrade.

You are entitled to a refund of the difference between the flight paid (C/J) and flown (Y). If you look at UA's contract of carriage, it explains how that is caculated on a multi-segment itinerary where only part is downgraded. Presuming that you flew USA-FRA and then somewhere relatively close xFRA, it's not going to be a large % of the itinerary and the difference between Y and C may not be much (particularly if you paid any form of discounted C).

UA will handle this with a phone call.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 3:27 pm

Programs: QR platinum
Given you had paid for C, you could have demanded to be rebooked in C, even on non-partner airlines. This is standard *A procedure.

That said, if the flight you got rebooked on was a short hop within Europe, chances are that the C seat was the same as Y with a middle blocked and a bit of food. So you'll have to decide if/how much is worth pursuing the matter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.