Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unable to use miles for car rental

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2012, 8:38 pm
Original Poster

Unhappy Unable to use miles for car rental

With the recent move to the new United Mileage Plus I have become victim of the new rules. Planning a family trip down Eastern US and attempted to rent a car using my 95,000 miles. But when I book online I get the message:
You are not eligible to use miles for Hotel and Car Awards at this time. You may be eligible for other options such as newspapers, magazines, dining, and air awards. Please visit our Use Miles web page for more information.
After calling customer support, it appears the problem is that I am not a US Citizen (I'm Canadian). It looks like my options are now extremely limited. Why would I want to use United anymore?

Any suggestions? Anyone I can call and try and get this rental car sorted out?
Old Oct 1, 2012, 8:59 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Welcome to FT!, sgrimm
Originally Posted by sgrimm
... After calling customer support, it appears the problem is that I am not a US Citizen (I'm Canadian). It looks like my options are now extremely limited. Why would I want to use United anymore?

Any suggestions? Anyone I can call and try and get this rental car sorted out?
yep the limitation (residence, not citizenship) is there on the united site
Cars

Use award miles instead of money to book car rentals in select locations worldwide. 1

1 Available to residents of the US, Puerto Rico and Guam only.
personally I find the redemption values for rental cars/hotel to be pretty poor.

Looks like you will need to look more at redemptions for air trips
Old Oct 3, 2012, 6:48 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the welcome and the fast reply.

Unfortunately miles are expiring 31-Dec-2012 and no plans to fly anywhere between now and then.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
buy a magazine subscription, or buy a refundable shorthaul ticket, buy the mileage accelerator and then refund the ticket.

There are many ways to have activity to prevent your miles from expiring, car rentals represent one of the worst ways to spend.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 6:55 am

Is residence location the only factor? I have a friend whh encountered the same problem as the OP while his address on file has been a US location for years. I was suspecting (bedore reaading this thread) the reason was that he had too few flying activities on UA.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 6:58 am

It probably has something to do with tax/revenue laws and regulations. "Citizenship" is not the issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.