Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Can't print boarding passes during online checkin?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2012, 5:15 am
Original Poster

Trying to check in online for FRA-ORD tomorrow and getting, "Your boarding pass can only be issued at the airport" when trying to print. If that's the case, what's the point of online checkin? I've never once seen that since most airlines migrated to online checkin several years ago.

Does that mean my seat assignment won't be locked in until the boarding pass is printed?
Old Mar 27, 2012, 5:21 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Seat assignment should stick. I've never had it not do. Usually something related to a document check that has prevented me doing OLCI for an international segment. That, or a non-UA carrier involved. I wouldn't worry.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 5:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hangpilot
Seat assignment should stick. I've never had it not do. Usually something related to a document check that has prevented me doing OLCI for an international segment. That, or a non-UA carrier involved. I wouldn't worry.
Thanks. We've had a few problems with this itinerary so far (reassigned seats after selection, not allowing us to choose E+ seats after paying, etc.) so it's causing me a little more angst than normal.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 5:32 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier
We had that same scenario last year going EWR to FCO and back. It was all about being on an international flight and needing our docs checked before they would issue BPs. Of course that was well before the mess created on 3/3.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by lancebanyon
Trying to check in online for FRA-ORD tomorrow and getting, "Your boarding pass can only be issued at the airport" when trying to print. If that's the case, what's the point of online checkin? I've never once seen that since most airlines migrated to online checkin several years ago.

Does that mean my seat assignment won't be locked in until the boarding pass is printed?
You can still change/check your seats even if a BP won't print. Just click on the seat assignment.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 6:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gene2632
We had that same scenario last year going EWR to FCO and back. It was all about being on an international flight and needing our docs checked before they would issue BPs. Of course that was well before the mess created on 3/3.
Thanks. Somehow we didn't have this problem when we flew to the states last year (family of five) so wondering if it's a new thing.

Originally Posted by aacharya
You can still change/check your seats even if a BP won't print. Just click on the seat assignment.
My concern was they've already separated us once and it took forever to get us reseated together, and I wanted to make sure our new seat assignments were locked in. I don't have a whole lot of trust in their system at the moment.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 6:23 am

Programs: UA former 1K MM
This has happened to me when I needed to pay the co-pay for an upgrade before a boarding pass could be issued.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 7:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Thanks. Somehow we didn't have this problem when we flew to the states last year (family of five) so wondering if it's a new thing.
From a legacy UA perspective, yes, it is new.

My concern was they've already separated us once and it took forever to get us reseated together, and I wanted to make sure our new seat assignments were locked in. I don't have a whole lot of trust in their system at the moment.
No guarantees in the world, but this shouldn't be what causes issues.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 7:47 am

Since the merger, the united website has been a disaster. I have a mileage plus card and the website will not allow for the first two bags free. I called United and they said its a glitch on the website and I would need to check-in at the airport to have the bag fee waived.

This is after the website charged me twice for my tickets. It took three phone calls for it to be corrected. I had two eticket numbers even though both were assigned to the same seat.

Continental was much better....
Old Mar 27, 2012, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Newark1980
Since the merger, the united website has been a disaster. I have a mileage plus card and the website will not allow for the first two bags free. I called United and they said its a glitch on the website and I would need to check-in at the airport to have the bag fee waived.

This is after the website charged me twice for my tickets. It took three phone calls for it to be corrected. I had two eticket numbers even though both were assigned to the same seat.

Continental was much better....
Umm, it's Continental's system. Not sure how you're blaming the new UA.

Also - the MP card only gives one bag free. Only PresPlus gives two.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 8:00 am

No, the Plus card get the cardholder a free bag and a guest. This is not being calculated correctly.

I don't care who's platform it is, it's United deal now and they are having issues with it for sure...
Old Mar 27, 2012, 8:52 am

Programs: UA Gold, FB, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
If you already have selected seats, checking in online for a flight originating outside of the US does not seem be be very usefull. I tried to do this for my AMS-IAD flight last week, but could not print my boarding passes. At checkin in AMS the gate-agent told me online check in only works for selecting seats. She had to re-enter my pasport information as well as the address I would be staying in in the US, while I had already provided both at my only check-in. I was also only added to the upgrade waitlist for my connecting flight at that time, not during my checkin attempt online the day before.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 8:56 am

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
I had this issue as well recently. It was a flight I booked prior to the merger. Apparently old reservation had a different confirmation number (confirmation numbers changed on 3/3). Apparently they didn't sync so I had to have them process this at the counter. Sounds like it's common from what agent said. My RPU cleared and my seat stuck so hopefully it's just a minor inconvenience.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 11:57 am

Programs: was UA 1K now Gold, cuz UA 1.3 MM; HA,DL,AS (no status in these), Marriott Gold
Passport scan precludes OLCI? Advice.

An earlier post (by Redwoman, can't recall the thread) indicated that if this is your 1st international flight post-3/3, passports must be scanned, thus precluding OLCI. We have just that situation later this week. 1st leg is domestic, 2nd leg is international. Although all passport info is in our profiles, is that anyone's experience that a *physical* scan is required? Seriously thinking of stopping by SEA 24 hrs early, do a scan/checkin so as not to jeopardize UG waitlist status since (under the new regime) time on the list apparently is a factor.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 6:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Star Gold,Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by BH62
An earlier post (by Redwoman, can't recall the thread) indicated that if this is your 1st international flight post-3/3, passports must be scanned, thus precluding OLCI. We have just that situation later this week. 1st leg is domestic, 2nd leg is international. Although all passport info is in our profiles, is that anyone's experience that a *physical* scan is required? Seriously thinking of stopping by SEA 24 hrs early, do a scan/checkin so as not to jeopardize UG waitlist status since (under the new regime) time on the list apparently is a factor.
I was actually responding to a post wherein someone suggested that was the case; I was asking for confirmation, but nobody confirmed nor denied. I'm dying to know, so thanks for the bump.

Hopefully WineCountryUA or smb12 will come along. They are pretty active and post on a wide range of topics.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.