1k Same Day Flight Change

Old Apr 9, 2013, 1:23 pm

Programs: AA PLT the rest, Kettle Power
As a quick update - I called the Premier line to check on whether it is possible to make this change and was told it would be possible provided there was P class available.
I don't know if perhaps the rep was misinformed, I did ask them to confirm with someone else and the same answer came back - yes.
My itinerary is EWR-IST, how I get there can be SDC'd as long as it's within the SDC rules and the feedback I got was that changing from EWR-XXX-IST to EWR-IST was just fine.
We'll have to see whether it pans out that way tomorrow.

As an aside - star-world, I meant to harm. Perhaps you are right and I shouldn't bash UA. Sometimes they do a good job of provoking me though and venting about something unrelated - eg. SDC - is the outcome.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 3:31 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
One thing I hate about SDC is that it often (but not always) seems to require a manual reissue of the ticket. So SDC lines up the new flights, but you can't check in for them and have to call in or go to the airport to get the ticket reissued.

I've had very mixed luck this year with it working online or at the kiosk without having to get a person involved. The most recent experience started as a SDC but became a cancellation and use of the ticket value toward new flights (done through the same user interface on .bomb as SDC, of course), and yielded a broken itin (missing two flights), plus 3x charges to my Amex (why .bomb apparently tried authorizing the same change three times I don't know, but it got Amex thinking fraud was involved).
Old Apr 9, 2013, 4:19 pm

Programs: DL PM
I had a great experience on Easter Sunday changing an award ticket at the airport. Was booked LAX-IAH-EWR but ended up getting on LAX-EWR morning direct flight as oversell on the former meant I could change without a fee. I so desperately want to get to Gold just to have the SDC option as it is a great perk (at least when it works).
Old Apr 9, 2013, 4:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by exerda
One thing I hate about SDC is that it often (but not always) seems to require a manual reissue of the ticket. So SDC lines up the new flights, but you can't check in for them and have to call in or go to the airport to get the ticket reissued.

I've had very mixed luck this year with it working online or at the kiosk without having to get a person involved. The most recent experience started as a SDC but became a cancellation and use of the ticket value toward new flights (done through the same user interface on .bomb as SDC, of course), and yielded a broken itin (missing two flights), plus 3x charges to my Amex (why .bomb apparently tried authorizing the same change three times I don't know, but it got Amex thinking fraud was involved).
Have you noticed any pattern to this? Is it related to changing from a non-stop to a connecting flight, or vice versa? I never see ticket reissues on straightforward single segment changes, but I do seem to remember a couple of changes in the past where it was required.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 5:12 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by star_world
Have you noticed any pattern to this? Is it related to changing from a non-stop to a connecting flight, or vice versa? I never see ticket reissues on straightforward single segment changes, but I do seem to remember a couple of changes in the past where it was required.
Nope, no pattern. The most recent instance was when I changed to earlier return flights, SNA-SFO-IAD. Same routing, just an hour earlier. Maybe it was because there were two segments involved, but then again, I did the same thing with GJT-DEN-IAD with no issue fairly recently. (Both were also already checked in, so that wasn't a factor AFAIK.)
Old Apr 29, 2013, 4:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, BA Gold, SQ TPP
Did a same day change recently. The first agent I called simply priced it up as a regular change and quoted the buy up plus change fee. Had to hang up and call again.

So be warned - many agents still do not know how to handle this.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 4:27 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by c1mth0g
Did a same day change recently. The first agent I called simply priced it up as a regular change and quoted the buy up plus change fee. Had to hang up and call again. ....
What was the agent's response when you pointed out the error? The agent's computer should have priced this correctly.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 5:27 pm

Programs: Marriott LT-TE, United Gold
Originally Posted by c1mth0g
Did a same day change recently. The first agent I called simply priced it up as a regular change and quoted the buy up plus change fee. Had to hang up and call again.

So be warned - many agents still do not know how to handle this.
This happens to me at the airport when I'm trying to jump to an earlier flight all the time. The agent begins to tell me the price, I mention I'm 1K and they laugh and tell me they forgot to to check. I would think the system would automatically check for this based on the passengers credentials but my thinking is they're simply checking inventory as opposed to processing the actual change where they correct price (or lack thereof) would show up. Just remind them and it should be fine.

BTW I agree with an earlier post that current SDC is definitely a step forward from older policies. I've never had an issue with it working and it's benefited me numerous times since it's been implemented!
Old Apr 29, 2013, 5:59 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Ag
I did an SDC that sort of worked. Already confirmed in R JFK-LAX on Sunday night. I saw availability (including R>0) for Monday morning. Called and switched flights no problem, but agent pulled a GPU from my account for the new flight. The original upgrade was sponsored and they couldn't get it back in the end so they redeposited my GPU, the RPU to the original account holder and pulled miles.
Old May 2, 2013, 2:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, BA Gold, SQ TPP
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
What was the agent's response when you pointed out the error? The agent's computer should have priced this correctly.
Didn't bother to point out the error. Just hung up and called again.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.