1k Same Day Flight Change

Old Aug 6, 2012, 9:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AGR SE, SPG Platinum, HH Gold, MR Gold
Originally Posted by FormerAmtrakTraveler
Ah yes, great. Will try at SIN check-in AND at EWR after customs. Thanks!
Final update:

No at SIN. "There will be a charge".

Yes at EWR.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
3rd times a charm!

Flying XXX-EWR-XXX today. Scheduled on a 3.5 hour EWR connection. Upgrades confirmed with miles.

Saw that R space was available on earlier flight. Called UA to try to same day confirm and preserve upgrade b

Call 1: "can't same day change on part of itin. We can only change origin to destination."
(that may be accurate. Never done this before)

Call 2: "we can confirm the change with no fee, but you will lose the upgrade. We can't process over the phone within 24 hours, so you will go into the queue."
(again, may be accurate)

Call 3: "looks like space is available! Do you mind traveling a row separated in F?". Tickets were signed, sealed, and delivered.

Was agent 3 against company protocol?
Old Aug 23, 2012, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by zrs70
Flying XXX-EWR-XXX today. Scheduled on a 3.5 hour EWR connection. Upgrades confirmed with miles.

Saw that R space was available on earlier flight. Called UA to try to same day confirm and preserve upgrade b

Call 1: "can't same day change on part of itin. We can only change origin to destination."

Call 2: "we can confirm the change with no fee, but you will lose the upgrade. We can't process over the phone within 24 hours, so you will go into the queue."
(again, may be accurate)

Call 3: "looks like space is available! Do you mind traveling a row separated in F?". Tickets were signed, sealed, and delivered.

Agent 3 was just good! When ever I SDC I look for R avail where I can slip into a CPU. They are allowed to SDC w/ an UG in place, or even put you into R if the flight(s) you move to put you at the top of the list.

Well done!
Old Aug 25, 2012, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, BA Gold, SQ TPP
Some recent experiences:

Original flight on UA + *A (not codeshared with a UA flight number): First agent said no same day change on INTL. Called back, second agent said yes at first, but when the agent tried to actually make the change it said I had to pay the change fee and was told the non UA segments made this impossible.

Original flight on UA + *A (codeshared with a UA flight number): First agent said no (because of non UA segment). Second agent said yes and did it.

So I'm guessing there's still some inconsistency and it also depends who you get on the phone.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 4:09 pm

Programs: AA PLT the rest, Kettle Power
Any feedback for SDC international? I have this: EWR-MUC-IST (UA/LH). Would like to SDC to EWR-IST direct. Is this in the rules? I'm assuming it is if I pay of course...
Thanks!
Old Feb 10, 2013, 4:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by TGGDEL
Any feedback for SDC international? I have this: EWR-MUC-IST (UA/LH). Would like to SDC to EWR-IST direct. Is this in the rules? I'm assuming it is if I pay of course...
Thanks!
Should be possible, assuming the inventory is there. Going the other way, not so much.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 4:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by TGGDEL
Thanks!
There's a more recent thread on current SDC policy here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...questions.html

I believe that with the alignment of UA and CO policy on SDC, the answer is yes, it's available for international itins, but I think some have reported issues switching away from flights on other metal (though others have reported success).
Old Feb 25, 2013, 8:16 pm

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
Was this done right?

I called for a same day change - within 24 hours. My fare class was not on the flight I wanted so agent charged me the fare difference - in this case a whopping $16. Didn't know you could pay the fare difference, thought it had to be inthe same fare, or go standby. Happy to have the new flight for $16...was this correct?
Old Feb 25, 2013, 9:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by 1k-all-the-way
I called for a same day change - within 24 hours. My fare class was not on the flight I wanted so agent charged me the fare difference - in this case a whopping $16. Didn't know you could pay the fare difference, thought it had to be inthe same fare, or go standby. Happy to have the new flight for $16...was this correct?
Yes.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 9:48 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by zrs70

(again, may be accurate)

As for agent #2, I did a GPU for R space within 24 hours of departure a week or two ago for an international flight. Just another data point.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 9:54 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by lax2010
As for agent #2, I did a GPU for R space within 24 hours of departure a week or two ago for an international flight. Just another data point.
you responded to a 6 month old post.

As fr your situation, if R>0 space exists you can apply within the 24 hour window, but can not waitlist.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 11:18 pm
V9

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Marriott Pltm, Hyatt Diamond, spg Pltm
When did this change during the past 6 months? My understanding was UG can be done anytime but not on the SAME DAY.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 11:28 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by V9
When did this change during the past 6 months? My understanding was UG can be done anytime but not on the SAME DAY.
The fact you can waitlist in the last 24 hours or ask a GA to apply an upgrade as confused many and not be aware if R>0 you can call and upgrade in the last 24 hours.
Old Mar 2, 2013, 7:37 pm
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Exclamation What happens if you same-day change an upgraded flight?

I have a flight LAX-JFK tomorrow that is upgraded from Y to C using miles currently.

.bomb is offering me a same-day change for $0 to an earlier flight. The earlier flight is showing R3, so upgrade space is available. But if I change the flight, will the upgrade be automatically re-requested and cleared? Or, can I call in and request the upgrade? (after already being checked in online) Do I have to support the upgrade on the new flight with a new instrument and watch the original miles go into limbo until I can get a UA agent to manually re-credit them?

Or, what happens?

Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 2, 2013, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by EsquireFlyer
I have a flight LAX-JFK tomorrow that is upgraded from Y to C using miles currently.

.bomb is offering me a same-day change for $0 to an earlier flight. The earlier flight is showing R3, so upgrade space is available. But if I change the flight, will the upgrade be automatically re-requested and cleared? Or, can I call in and request the upgrade? (after already being checked in online) Do I have to support the upgrade on the new flight with a new instrument and watch the original miles go into limbo until I can get a UA agent to manually re-credit them?

Or, what happens?

Thanks in advance.
Officially you will be dropped to your original purchasing class. Your upgrade request will then be reapplied. Keep in mind that R fares are only used by GPUs and RPUs (not CPUs). So if you are applying a GPU/RPU, the system should clear you instantly. CPUs will usually not clear (esp if there is people on the CPU list waiting).

Now and again, an agent will "screw up" and change into R (if available).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.