Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Are you on the waitlist and using a RPU or GPU (old Cr1 / SWU)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are you on the waitlist and using a RPU or GPU (old Cr1 / SWU)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2012, 2:02 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by redwoman
Did you apply the GPUs online after your res ticketed, by clicking on the "upgrade this reservation" button, or did you call in and have an agent apply them? I'm looking at an itin for 2 travelers for later in the summer that has plenty of RN/R space available on all segments (R/RN=4-7). To make sure the we snag 'em now I want to know whether it's trustworthy to use the button on the website or call in. FWIW I always called in for all upgrades PMUA; I didn't trust the website not to do something funky to my reservation.
You can use the button.. it's safe. I've done it several times this year before and after the conversion. You will see instant confirmation if there is R space.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Star Gold,Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
Thanks SEA1K4EVR!!
Old Apr 3, 2012, 3:41 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by sakaike
See my post #41 above. Received my EF alert at T-22, called in and apparently jumped to the front of the priority list. Although this is not how things are supposed to work, it's every man/woman for themselves out there. Consequently, you might be in a position to attempt to pull the same trick tomorrow. Good luck.
It's the middle of the night and my cat jumped on me and woke me up so I decided to check on this upgrade. Sure enough, at exactly T-23 I got an Expert Flyer alert. My flight is now R3.. but when I looked at my reservation the upgrade waitlisted segment was completely gone and I was still in economy for UA1072. I called and the agent first told me that I had to go to the airport waitlist..she told me her screen said "waitlist not cleared" regarding my upgrade. I politely said no that's not right...she then talked to a supervisor for 5 minutes and came back and told me again I need to check in and go on the list. I explained how a GPU works (she called it a systemwide..I explained it's the same thing and that R class is available now and I'm not going on a waitlist). On hold again another 8 minutes.. finally confirmed in R class. I was then given the age old favorite line "the supervisor did it for you as an exception". I thanked her, and let her know that I appreciated them helping me, but that it was not an exception because of how these upgrades work. FWIW, she was a PMCO rep (I thought it would be easier if a got a PMCO rep, but I was wrong)

I don't understand why everything has to be a battle!

Checked in for flight.. now back to bed.

Last edited by SEA1K4EVR; Apr 3, 2012 at 3:47 am
Old Apr 3, 2012, 4:02 am

Programs: AA EXP MM/UA MM/Marriott PLT Premier-LT PLT
What i dont understand is this exact thread gets posted about every hour now but i have no idea if united thinks its a bug, what they believe the policy should be, do they have any plans to address it. Its odd because since the system does not process T-24. For R > 0, GS are the big losers, plat are the big winners, and 1k somewhere inbetween, but anytime the big losers are the GS crowd you would think they would pay more attention to it.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 5:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by unhappyflyer
What i dont understand is this exact thread gets posted about every hour now but i have no idea if united thinks its a bug, what they believe the policy should be, do they have any plans to address it. Its odd because since the system does not process T-24. For R > 0, GS are the big losers, plat are the big winners, and 1k somewhere inbetween, but anytime the big losers are the GS crowd you would think they would pay more attention to it.
We're actually all losers now with this new system
Old Apr 3, 2012, 6:26 am

Programs: nobody
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
I don't understand why everything has to be a battle!
This is the problem I have with the new United. Not only we as a customer need to be proactive and sometime we have to explain to them why the system doesn't work right. Case in point, on my return flight last week from DFW-ORD, it was R0 at booking and I put in one of my soon to expire RPU for the flight. At T-72h, it became R1 but the system didn't automatically clear, so I call in to try to get the last upgrade seat. When I talk with an agent about the open upgradable seat for my flight, the agent keep trying to tell me United don't open up First class seat for 1Ks. I explained to her the seat is already open for upgrade, I just want her to grab it for me using my RPU. Long story short, I did get the upgrade but I shouldn't need to persuade the agent to do so. Maybe United thinks we are high maintenance, but it is their process/system attribute to this chaos. If they want to tell me they will try to sell the upgrade for cash until the last moment before it release them to the upgrader, I am ok with it. Just tell me upfront and be transparent about it.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 7:22 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, BA Gold, SQ TPP
One of my RPUs cleared automatically at T-72, although I still had to call (had the modification was made to your itinerary message) to get it confirmed.

It was a p.s. flight (CPU ineligible) - not sure if that made a difference.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 7:42 am

Programs: AA Plat, UAL silver, Marriott Gld, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold
How to sponser an upgrade ?

I'd like to sponser my wife for an upgrade using one of my SWU's. She's not on the same iteniary. Can't I do this on-line like we used to ?
Old Apr 3, 2012, 7:53 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, BA Gold, SQ TPP
Originally Posted by Javaboy
I'd like to sponser my wife for an upgrade using one of my SWU's. She's not on the same iteniary. Can't I do this on-line like we used to ?
Add her itinerary to your reservations (you can add someone else's itinerary in the new website). Then when you bring up her itinerary while logged in as you there should be a "apply upgrade" button at the bottom.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
This is SO Jeff'd up!

Flight tomorrow, have sponsored my bro-in-law with an RPU, waitlisted since booking a couple months ago. Has dwindled down to F1, when lo and behold, at T-24 I get an EF alert for R space (I check and it's now F1R1). Of course, since it's T-24, his waitlist is now "expired" (what an awful, confusing term) and the upgrade has not processed.

Fortunately, was able to call in at T-23 to force the upgrade - and as usual, a very competent agent nevertheless had to call a supervisor to actually process the upgrade. And the icing on the cake is that they of course pulled another later expiring upgrade, instead of processing the earlier one that had already been pulled from my account months ago.

The system is broken, and no amount of apolgizing for this albatross by a few can change that fact.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 3:36 pm

Programs: AA-Plat DL-Plat (did status match on DL before losing EXP on AA)
This flight segment can be confirmed. Please contact Continental Reservations for ...

I have multi-segment upcoming itinerary for which I applied GPU (formerly SWU) and have 2 waitlisted segments.
So, right after reading this thread, I went to United.com, view existing reservations and one of the waitlisted segements has the following in red type:

This flight segment can be confirmed. Please contact Continental Reservations for assistance.
...????? If the computer is smart enough to know that a flight segment can be confirmed, why can't the computer confirm it? Why do I have to call in? What kind of crazy system is this? I have been checking every few days for R inventory on the waitlisted segments, but never have seen any. And even now there is no R inventory. So, did R become available and the computer mark me as getting the upgrade, but it takes multiple people to actually apply it?

So, I call the 1K line, get an agent without hardly any hold time, the agent is very pleasant, and says she'll take care of it - but of course, she cannot - has to put me on hold...... It took 11 minutes, so I guess not too bad...

FWIW - I asked - the agent I got was in Chicago, she said she had to get a supervisor to 'fix' (override) something - she said these cleared upgrades currently cannot be processed automatically and hopes the programmers will get it fixed before too long. I think my ticket actually had to be reissued.
I also noticed when checking the itinerary THAT ALL THE INT'L BUSINESS CLASS SEATS I HAD SELECTED HAD BEEN CHANGED!!!! TO THE DREADED MIDDLE AISLE on the UA777. UGGGH!!!!
I really wish the SEAT ASSIGNMENTS would show PROMINENTLY on the reservation like they used to on pmUA site!
Old Apr 3, 2012, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Flight tomorrow, have sponsored my bro-in-law with an RPU, waitlisted since booking a couple months ago. Has dwindled down to F1, when lo and behold, at T-24 I get an EF alert for R space (I check and it's now F1R1). Of course, since it's T-24, his waitlist is now "expired" (what an awful, confusing term) and the upgrade has not processed.

Fortunately, was able to call in at T-23 to force the upgrade - and as usual, a very competent agent nevertheless had to call a supervisor to actually process the upgrade. And the icing on the cake is that they of course pulled another later expiring upgrade, instead of processing the earlier one that had already been pulled from my account months ago.

The system is broken, and no amount of apolgizing for this albatross by a few can change that fact.
Good luck with getting RPU back.

There is no record, you can see.

One of my RPUs is still missing, one month after the upgrade didn't clear.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kb1992
Good luck with getting RPU back.

There is no record, you can see.

One of my RPUs is still missing, one month after the upgrade didn't clear.
I got it back - but they put it with the earlier expiring one as opposed to the later expiring one At least they're trying, too bad their systems are so antiquated and incompetent.

Only a month ago, this was all so easy...
Old Apr 3, 2012, 4:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Star Gold,Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by mobilebucky
This is the problem I have with the new United. Not only we as a customer need to be proactive and sometime we have to explain to them why the system doesn't work right.
Bullseye!

Originally Posted by c1mth0g
Add her itinerary to your reservations (you can add someone else's itinerary in the new website). Then when you bring up her itinerary while logged in as you there should be a "apply upgrade" button at the bottom.
Hi, I was trying to do the same thing with a res for my parents. How do we add another's reservation to our own account? I can type in their PNR and pull it up, but I don't know how to save it so that it comes up under my own list of current reservations. I looked about 10 times for any link to save it, or a button to click, and i don't see one.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Apr 3, 2012 at 4:42 pm Reason: merge
Old Apr 3, 2012, 4:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM/UA MM/Marriott PLT Premier-LT PLT
[QUOTE=c1mth0g;18325403]One of my RPUs cleared automatically at T-72..., QUOTE]

I believe the way the system works is it will clear automatically during a sweep run (96,72,48,24) but if R opens up in between sweeps or at t<24 , they do not clear which is where the wild west who can call an agent first comes into play. Any seats still left open at the airport will then use the airport standbye list which I think does prioritize correctly

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.