Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

LAX Meltdown; Scary Situation, unbelievable agents...

LAX Meltdown; Scary Situation, unbelievable agents...

Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:14 am
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
!!
Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:15 am

Programs: UA GS
Where is UAInsider when you need them to mitigate a PR nightmare?
Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:20 am

Programs: Continental, BMI
I was booked for EWR-MAN last night and that too was overbooked. I heard some of the GAs blaming the merger for this
Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by Nosilauka
I was booked for EWR-MAN last night and that too was overbooked. I heard some of the GAs blaming the merger for this
Overbooked is not bad. it adds to overall airline profitability. That's a CO route, so blaming PMUA is appropriate as UA tends to overbook more than CO. However, they also have much much lower IDB rates because of an easy rebooking process and standard $400 VDB offer. CO tries to lowball an offer, takes 10x as long to rebook, so yes, it's a problem. Overbooking was rarely a problem in the PMUA world.

However, this has nothing to do with this thread.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:26 am

All three of my past three UA transcons have gone mechanical, resulting in delays, equipment swaps and many very inconvenienced passengers.

This story unfortunately doesn't surprise me at all.

Hard to know what to do in these meltdown situations.

In any other commercial situation, like a shop, I would ask for my money back and leave. At the gate this is very difficult to do. The airline can produce many variations of the product they sold or promised and get away with it. Now that we are dealing with a new company which is taking full advantage of this flexibility, I feel very trapped with a UA ticket.

The combative staff reported are an unwelcome escalation from the situations I have experienced. The GAs so far have all been very polite to me, though one could see they were stressed out.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:27 am
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by travel.flier
Overbooked is not bad. it adds to overall airline profitability. That's a CO route, so blaming PMUA is appropriate as UA tends to overbook more than CO. However, they also have much much lower IDB rates because of an easy rebooking process and standard $400 VDB offer. CO tries to lowball an offer, takes 10x as long to rebook, so yes, it's a problem. Overbooking was rarely a problem in the PMUA world.

However, this has nothing to do with this thread.
Whatever PMUA used to do in terms of how much they overbooked, how is "blaming PMUA" in any way appropriate? The PMUA decisionmakers are not running CO. It's the PMCO management team now running both UA and CO. So what do the previous actions of former UA management have to do with current overbooking on a PMCO route?
Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:28 am

Programs: NW, UA
I'm certainly going to think twice about paying to possibly be subjected to this kind of treatment/experience when there are alternative carriers. Thanks for posting, OP.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
3/14 EWR Terminal A

I flew ROW-DFW-EWR-YQB on 3/14.

I flew AA ROW-DFW-EWR, without incident, although we had a one-hour ground hold in DFW because of weather at EWR.

I then went to my UaEx connection at EWR Terminal A and descended upon a scene of pure chaos. Hundreds of people sitting on the floor, a fetid odor hanging over the place.

Just as I approached my gate (A26), I witnessed the PA police breaking up a scuffle between an irate passenger and a gate agent. I was later told that the passenger's flight had been delayed over 5 hours and that the agent had then boarded the flight without making an announcement that could be clearly heard in the gate area, so the passenger missed their flight.

I'm not sure if the gate agent blamed the merger.

I can confirm, however, that when announcement were being made for my flight, they were not audible in the gate area either, but rather at the other end of the terminal, near the bus loading area.

I thought it would be helpful to mention this to the gate agent (who was not the one involved in the altercation). She was extremely snappy, but I did notice her reach down below the counter, as if she were pushing a button.

After that, the announcements were audible in the vicinity of gate 26...

My flight was only delayed about an hour...not bad.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
Not only that, but you really have to wonder what impact the merger had on this incident, which involved a PMCO route, with PMCO aircraft, and PMCO ground personnel.

How did the merger have any impact on any of this, other than emotionally?
This is the part that really baffles me on this one.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:35 am

Well, this may sound crazy to some (if not most of you), but this is the first post that makes me think that this is possibly really getting out of hand. Yikes!

What a mess! Airline employees were being way unprofessional.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:39 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by CollegeFlyer
Whatever PMUA used to do in terms of how much they overbooked, how is "blaming PMUA" in any way appropriate? The PMUA decisionmakers are not running CO. It's the PMCO management team now running both UA and CO. So what do the previous actions of former UA management have to do with current overbooking on a PMCO route?
if you're a co GA and you've rarely had overbooked situations, then post merger you suddenly have them, it seems logical that you'd blame ua.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:39 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by Nosilauka
How did they accommodate the passengers that didn't have seats on this flight? Did it go a little more smoothly than this incident at LAX?
Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by travel.flier
if you're a co GA and you've rarely had overbooked situations, then post merger you suddenly have them, it seems logical that you'd blame ua.
There is no such thing as a GA who has not commonly dealt with overbooking, unless he/she works for jetBlue (which does not overbook).
Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:46 am

Programs: AA/UA/UR/MRP/IHG Plat
Amazing report. Between this situation, the recent AA FA melt-down and other similar situations likely taking place, you've got to wonder about flying these days at all. it's making my road-trip idea sound more and more interesting...and fun.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:46 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Wow terrible handling no doubt. Hope this doesn't become something that happens more than once a year.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.