Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What does "Advance seat assignments are restricted for this flight" mean?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 1, 2015, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NoDestinations
Some common reasons for "Advance seat assignments are restricted for this flight."
  • Bookings made at begin of schedule (aka 330 or so days out) --
    seatmap has not yet been released.
    Wait a week or two and seat selection should become available
  • Pending aircraft change
  • Bookings made within 24 hours of flight will receive this message, check in for flight to select seats
Print Wikipost

What does "Advance seat assignments are restricted for this flight" mean?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2015, 7:53 am

Can't Reserve Seats When Making Award-Travel Reservation?

My first post here!

I encountered a problem yesterday when I made an online flight reservation, using Award Miles.

The reservation transaction was accepted, but after I had selected seating assignments, the system told me that seats could not be selected until check-in.

I've never seen this happen before. The flight is months away, and there is plenty of seat availability.

Is this something new that United has instituted for Award Travel reservations?

I haven't spoken to United yet. Probably someone here knows why I'm having this problem.

TY,
WT
Old Jul 1, 2015, 8:12 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Can't Reserve Seats When Making Award-Travel Reservation?

what's your UA status? What airline was rhe award on? Not all airlines allow adcance seat selection. If on UA, were you trying to select Economy plus (blue) seats? were the standard economy (white) seats unavailable?
Old Jul 1, 2015, 8:40 am

I don't have any status with UA.
The reservation is with a UA flight, and I booked it with UA Award Miles.

As I mentioned in my original post, there are plenty of seats available in all classes. When I attempted to get seats assignments for Economy, the System replied ...

Advance seat assignments are restricted for this flight. Please select a seat during check-in.

I've never encountered this before.

WT
Old Jul 1, 2015, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Call it in. There's probably something wrong with the reservation somewhere and it would be better to find out what's wrong now, rather than at the airport.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 8:55 am

Programs: UA Platinum (1MM Gold), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
another possibilty...

How far out did you book? For the last year+, I've been able to book awards a few days earlier than the oft-quoted 331 days, but have never been able to get seats assigned (on-line) until 331 days out.

So if you were pushing the limits for advance booking, give it a few days.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 9:08 am

How far out did you book? For the last year+, I've been able to book awards a few days earlier than the oft-quoted 331 days, but have never been able to get seats assigned (on-line) until 331 days out.

So if you were pushing the limits for advance booking, give it a few days.

Portolan:

Yep, I booked almost as soon as the seats became available. (Which is almost a necessity if you don't have status & want to book at the 'Saver Award' Economy rate for a popular flight.)

Thanks for everyone's replies & advice.

WT
Old Jul 1, 2015, 9:10 am

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
Probably an IT problem, try again or call in. You can do it in advance.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TonyBurr
Probably an IT problem, try again or call in. You can do it in advance.
No - just wait a few days. The OP booked at the extremes of availability (330 days out). It will fix itself in a few days.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 10:07 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
One other thought:

Any married segments on your flights?

Had that happen when same flight number with change of planes (and gauge) happened in SFO. Selected my seats, but NONE would stick, not even return with no married segments
Old Jul 1, 2015, 10:10 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by aacharya
No - just wait a few days. The OP booked at the extremes of availability (330 days out). It will fix itself in a few days.
^ Agreed-just hunt and peck every day and at some point within the next say 7-10 days, the seat assignment will stick
Old Jul 1, 2015, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by aacharya
I sat down & calc'd how many days in advance.

334! (So much for the 331 number.)
Old Jul 1, 2015, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by WillyT
I sat down & calc'd how many days in advance.

334! (So much for the 331 number.)
Yes, the system lets you book even out further than 330 days. But most of us never look at the fringes.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by WillyT

Yep, I booked almost as soon as the seats became available. (Which is almost a necessity if you don't have status & want to book at the 'Saver Award' Economy rate for a popular flight.)

Thanks for everyone's replies & advice.

WT
Not true. Saver Award inventory (economy included) changes all the time.

Also check out the Quote buttons at the end of each message to include the message's content. The Preview Post button is your friend.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 8:43 pm

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
Seat Assignment Time Window

I do fly a little bit but just came across something I have not encountered before.I booked a family trip ways out (next July) on the web site, so within the open period but the system will not allow seat selection.I can't recall booking something so advanced before so I called reservations and the explanation I got was because the equipment had not been confirmed.This was on a 777 TATL sector which I fly on routinely and always on the same kit.The seat map comes up allows you to enter your selection but will not retain it and then I get the message that selection is not available.
Never seen it before,just wondered if I am missing some info on selection time windows etc.
The UA sectors are the last 2 behind LH but never had problems assigning UA metal in similar circumstances
Thanks
Old Aug 19, 2015, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
A coworker ran into the same limitation recently booking out near the limit; seat requests became available about a week later.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.