Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Should I wait for buy up offer or pay higher fare with GPU (R=0)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2012, 6:19 pm
Original Poster

I have read a lot of discussion around demestic TOD buy up offers, anyone has experience on buy up offers on international routes? I am debating whether its worthwhile to pay GPU eligible higher fare now and pray for GPU to clear, or pay lower fare now and wait for buy up offers? Need to buy ticket to europe in summer. When R=0, which has higher priority? buy up or GPU?
Old Mar 16, 2012, 7:48 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by presario1626
I have read a lot of discussion around demestic TOD buy up offers, anyone has experience on buy up offers on international routes? I am debating whether its worthwhile to pay GPU eligible higher fare now and pray for GPU to clear, or pay lower fare now and wait for buy up offers? Need to buy ticket to europe in summer. When R=0, which has higher priority? buy up or GPU?
Who knows, but one thing is for sure.... I and a lot of other people don't want to play this kind of guessing game with UA.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 10:40 pm

Programs: UA/CO 1K, AA Gold, SPG PP, Hertz PC
Yep, buy-up priority isn't published anywhere.

Good luck....

EDIT: That said, the buy-up price should be the fare difference to the lowest-price business fare (if there are elites with pending upgrades), so buying a GPU-eligible fare is probably beneficial, either way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.