Wiki Posts
Search

UA vs US

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2012, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat, DL G, Marriott Gold
UA vs US

I'm relocating (temporarily) to Europe, and the most convenient flights will be on Star Alliance...

I used to be a CO plat, but this year I lost all my status. I've been asking UA to match my status with DL, but haven't received anything from them for at least 4 weeks (despite various emails, faxes...).

Now I'm wondering: what if instead of UA I sign up for US (based on their trial program)? I probably won't be flying US much, I'm more interested in miles for Star Alliance awards and upgrades, *G for lounge access...

Anyone with US experience can help me out to decide?
Old Mar 16, 2012, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA GS, AC Elite, Global Entry
US is a weak product in comparison, especially Intl. BC, presume utility of miles similiar, again given smaller route network leaves you to find "star availability", which isn't as good as the primary carrier, at least not easily.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by rwsteelers
US is a weak product in comparison, especially Intl. BC, presume utility of miles similiar, again given smaller route network leaves you to find "star availability", which isn't as good as the primary carrier, at least not easily.
The new Envoy on the A332 (and rolling out to A333) is actually very nice. The older Envoy stuff ... not so much.

US does have better *A mileage redemption rates than UA for the most part. 90K in C to Asia as far as HKG is a steal compared to the 135k or so it'd take on UA.

US trial status requires that all miles that count be on US metal. If anything, it's not a bad way to try them and see if you like them. If you don't, you didn't lose much. You'd at least have *G status for the rest of the year for 15k miles, which is a good deal if that's all you get out of it.

Aside from E+, the only real difference between UA and US Y is the lack of IFE and the lack of power on CO birds. Servicewise, they're comparable.

You do have a smaller network than UA. CLT and PHX are easy airports to navigate, PHL isn't bad but isn't as good as the other 2.

Some things to think about at least.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mbarreto
I'm more interested in miles for Star Alliance awards and upgrades
Do you understand that *A upgrades are only from full fare tickets?
Old Mar 16, 2012, 2:48 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
If crediting to US, upgrades on non-US flights will be a problem.

Such as for UA flights. No complimentary upgrades on domestic flights.
for international flights, *A upgrades are possible but only on YB fares and no waitlisting. (and no use of codeshares).
No E+ access for US elites.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Originally Posted by Superguy
Aside from E+, the only real difference between UA and US Y is the lack of IFE and the lack of power on CO birds. Servicewise, they're comparable.

You do have a smaller network than UA. CLT and PHX are easy airports to navigate, PHL isn't bad but isn't as good as the other 2.

Some things to think about at least.
May not be as much of an issue for the OP, but their domestic first class product, while improved recently still is inferior, especially since flights must be over 3.5 hours for meal service.

PHL certainly has its problems, but is not a difficult airport to navigate, especially since all terminals (with the exception of the commuter terminal F) are accessible airside.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by rittenhousesq
PHL certainly has its problems, but is not a difficult airport to navigate, especially since all terminals (with the exception of the commuter terminal F) are accessible airside.
I know it is pedantic to say so, but terminal F'ed is accessible airside via shuttle bus from C16 and A1. It is not, however, reachable on foot from the rest of the airport without going landside.

One other difference -- which could be meaningful -- is the availability of wifi on the US A321s. Though UA will eventually roll out more extensive wifi, it is currently only available on the p.s. routes JFK-LAX and JFK-SFO.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 4:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat, DL G, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
If crediting to US, upgrades on non-US flights will be a problem.
That may be the deal breaker, as I intend to fly mostly UA and LH/LX...

Well, I'll give another few days to see if MP will answer me... I already have a BOS-GRU-BOS booked in C fro next week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.