Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1K on USAir - *Gold Seating benefits?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2013, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA 1k
Always pays to remember that US Air's "Choice Seats" are anything but. They have no Economy Plus area and all the seats are the same. I once paid $45 for one these frauds. Even some of the exit row seats don't have extra legroom!

FYI: I'm 1k and never get these for free.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by CMH1k
Always pays to remember that US Air's "Choice Seats" are anything but. They have no Economy Plus area and all the seats are the same. I once paid $45 for one these frauds. Even some of the exit row seats don't have extra legroom!

FYI: I'm 1k and never get these for free.
IME, this UA 1K member has always been assigned one of those seats up front behind the F cabin if no seat was picked at booking. Just last week, we had a last minute booking on a pretty full flight where the only two-seat that are together is the bulkhead row and we got assigned to them right after I called to put in my *A Gold number since the third party booking site did not put in my FF number at booking!
Old Mar 19, 2013, 4:38 pm

I have also been assigned choice seats on US if I don't select a seat at booking. It happened when I was Gold and Plat as well.

My experience is that phone agents can't even switch you from one choice seat to another (e.g., aisle to window) unless you pay for it.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by lax2010
IME, this UA 1K member has always been assigned one of those seats up front behind the F cabin if no seat was picked at booking. Just last week, we had a last minute booking on a pretty full flight where the only two-seat that are together is the bulkhead row and we got assigned to them right after I called to put in my *A Gold number since the third party booking site did not put in my FF number at booking!
Originally Posted by bwiflyer01
I have also been assigned choice seats on US if I don't select a seat at booking. It happened when I was Gold and Plat as well.

My experience is that phone agents can't even switch you from one choice seat to another (e.g., aisle to window) unless you pay for it.
Same experience. The best bet is to check in at the kiosk and move yourself to an exit row. As noted upthread, if you do OLCI first then try to change at the kiosk, you may be charged for the exit row seat. You will certainly be charged for it at OLCI, IME.

I occasionally play the dykwia card with the GAs and they've been able to move me from choice window to aisle and vv without an add collect. YMMV.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 8:38 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
If you are UA/*G and book through a corporate travel-hindrance gatekeeper like Concur, you can (at least in my experience) select US "choice" seats for free. Oh sure the seat-picker yells that if you don't have US status they don't have to honor the selection, but I've always gotten these seats for free.

Oh and I can safely state that row 5 on the US A321 sucks (despite what Seatguru says) because the divider between F and Y on US A321 goes to the floor unlike UA A319/320, so there's no under-seat stowage and you MUST put all your crap upstairs, and the legroom is limited. Whoever thought that was a good idea is an idiot.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by born sleepy
If you are UA/*G and book through a corporate travel-hindrance gatekeeper like Concur, you can (at least in my experience) select US "choice" seats for free. Oh sure the seat-picker yells that if you don't have US status they don't have to honor the selection, but I've always gotten these seats for free.

Oh and I can safely state that row 5 on the US A321 sucks (despite what Seatguru says) because the divider between F and Y on US A321 goes to the floor unlike UA A319/320, so there's no under-seat stowage and you MUST put all your crap upstairs, and the legroom is limited. Whoever thought that was a good idea is an idiot.
Yeah I've had success with "choice seats" using our corporate travel office, unfortunately this was personal travel booked outside

It sounds like I won't have much luck with a phone call, I'll have to see if I can get lucky at OLCI or at the airport...thanks everyone
Old Mar 20, 2013, 11:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I really wish I had known not to pick a seat when I booked my upcoming US mileage run. It sounds like there's basically nothing that I can do now except to try at the airport.

No reason I can't check in at the airport the day before (within T-24) my flight, right?
Old Jun 6, 2013, 12:44 pm

This lowly silver did get an exit row on a SFO-PHL US Airways flight a few weeks back. Was originally in a middle seat somewhere near the back until OLCI, when I was able to move into an exit row (a godsend for trancon flight). Interestingly it did not let me into an exit, or any choice seat, on my connecting PHL-DCA flight. I also had zone 1 boarding for both flights.

I had no luck getting into an exit row on a US DCA-PHX-SJC flight a few days before (and was stuck with zone 4 boarding), even at OLCI, so as others have said seems to be hit-or-miss. Both reservations had my MP number on them.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 1:12 pm

Programs: UA Plat, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Hertz Prez Circle
Is there complimentary upgrade for *G? I was upgraded on a recent ORF-CLT. There were 3 empty F on take off so, they were just upgrading anyone they could at that point and trying to butter up a MP *G to come along with the new AA?

I had no idea that US gave upgrades to *G at all.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by Hadrian35
Is there complimentary upgrade for *G? I was upgraded on a recent ORF-CLT. There were 3 empty F on take off so, they were just upgrading anyone they could at that point and trying to butter up a MP *G to come along with the new AA?

Probably an op-up.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 3:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Hadrian35

some have reported in another thread being upgraded (by an agent, not automatically) due to *G status.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 8:03 pm

Programs: UA 2.6 MM, 1K, HHonors Diamond
Choice seats for a UA 1K

Just made a reservation on US SMF -> PHX -> GDL. Following advice read on this and other threads, I purchased my ticket including my M+ account info and without selecting a seat (I would have needed to pay for a seat up front). It asked me if I wanted to proceed, as they would assign a seat automatically for me. I chose yes and upon checking the assigned seats after the fact, they were both bulkheads (4F on A320 and 1F on CRJ900). Worked like a charm. Thank you to those of you who posted this clever trick.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
An awesome experience for me as well with my four short-haul US flights on Tue. When my TA booked my ticket, my first two seats were of the back of the plane variety, but my final two she was able to get me Choice seats. At OLCI, was able to change into exit rows on my 3 mainline flights. At the LGA US Club, I moved seats for my 4th flight (express, E75) to the nice bulkhead row (with tons of legroom).

My first US flights in 2 years...forgot how nice of an alternative it was to UA ^ Especially when it helps "beat" EWR monopolistic pricing!
Old Sep 5, 2013, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
My first US flights in 2 years...forgot how nice of an alternative it was to UA ^ Especially when it helps "beat" EWR monopolistic pricing!
Indeed. And the FA's are so nice!
Old Sep 12, 2013, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by szbenny
Just made a reservation on US SMF -> PHX -> GDL. Following advice read on this and other threads, I purchased my ticket including my M+ account info and without selecting a seat (I would have needed to pay for a seat up front). It asked me if I wanted to proceed, as they would assign a seat automatically for me. I chose yes and upon checking the assigned seats after the fact, they were both bulkheads (4F on A320 and 1F on CRJ900). Worked like a charm. Thank you to those of you who posted this clever trick.
FYI, the trick worked for me today, for two separate itins in November.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.