Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Anyone know why UAL1509 SFO-HNL was diverted?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2023, 9:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LT Platinum+Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Delta Plat, United Silver, AX Biz Cent

https://www.flightradar24.com/UAL1509/32a58023

Looks like it made it almost half way to HNL before turning around...
Old Oct 30, 2023, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
FLIFO simply mentions "CREW", so not too descriptive. Perhaps a medical issue amongst one of them?
Old Oct 30, 2023, 10:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LT Platinum+Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Delta Plat, United Silver, AX Biz Cent
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
FLIFO simply mentions "CREW", so not too descriptive. Perhaps a medical issue amongst one of them?
I think that "CREW" was for the very late departure, with no explanation whatsoever for the diversion.
Old Oct 30, 2023, 11:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
A new take on the "Halfway to Hawaii" game.
Old Oct 31, 2023, 4:03 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
I think that was the flight that made some news reports for returning due to a passenger delivering a baby.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2023, 10:54 am

I also read that a woman went into labor shortly after takeoff.

https://www.kron4.com/news/bay-area/...ng-into-labor/
Old Nov 1, 2023, 7:00 pm

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
And then there is stuff like this:https://www.kron4.com/news/bay-area/...nto-labor/amp/

of note, while we do not know the details and hopefully everyone is OK. It is typically made clear to pregnant women that had a certain point they should not be flying.
Old Nov 1, 2023, 7:13 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K, 1MM, 1.8 MM, IC RA
And, then of course, some women go into pre-mature labor when it would be safe for most pregnant women to fly. Agree, we don’t know the details but it is best to consider there are instances where bad things happen in unexpected circumstances.
Old Nov 1, 2023, 8:34 pm

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
I am sorry if this came across implying that she should not have been flying without knowing her due dates. I only point this out in the context that this just happened and we have been talking about this over the past couple of days.

in fact, the link was sent to me by an Ob friend of mine, who has been doing a lot more traveling lately, and her initial comments were how much of a disaster It would be to have to deliver a baby on an airplane in the best of circumstances by somebody who does it routinely for a living
SPN Lifer and cesco.g like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.