Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 20, 2013, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2014, 5:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by phltraveler
IAH-LGA in v
Offered Upgrade at Check-In for $59 on an A320
Gold Status

Declined, didn't get upgraded. Didn't see the top of the upgrade list budge so I assume a non-status passenger bought it.
Been getting a lot of these lately on IAH-LGA and vv. anywhere from $59-$79 from booking all the way through check in.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
i think i would have bought that one just to avoid the slimline seat for 3 hours.
I probably would have bought that too. That's a pretty cheap buy up for a 1400 mile flight, not to mention the Y slimline seats are miserable. I wonder what offer I'll see when I fly that route next month.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 11:34 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Titanium
NRT-ORD

Sitting in the UA Club in NRT with 2 hours to boarding - was just offered $1339 to upgrade from C to F. That seems a little steep for just a slightly bigger seat (maybe I would have done $800 back 7 hours ago to get the slightly better lounge access in NRT).
Old Jul 15, 2014, 11:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by gldwebs
Sitting in the UA Club in NRT with 2 hours to boarding - was just offered $1339 to upgrade from C to F.
A discount! The going rate has been $1389.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kacee
A discount! The going rate has been $1389.
Speak for yourself - was offered $5,999 each way EWR-CDG-EWR last week
Old Jul 16, 2014, 12:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Speak for yourself - was offered $5,999 each way EWR-CDG-EWR last week
So, just how stupid does UA think we are?

Wait don't answer that
Old Jul 17, 2014, 8:18 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
I probably would have bought that too. That's a pretty cheap buy up for a 1400 mile flight, not to mention the Y slimline seats are miserable. I wonder what offer I'll see when I fly that route next month.
Originally Posted by weirdlyndon
Been getting a lot of these lately on IAH-LGA and vv. anywhere from $59-$79 from booking all the way through check in.
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
i think i would have bought that one just to avoid the slimline seat for 3 hours. assuming i had booked UAL in the first place (which i wouldn't unless all other options were exhausted).
Offered the same again, $59 for IAH -> LGA upgrade in United Economy E (same TOD upgrade price as V last week). I took it this time... the new Recaro seats on the Airbus' are terrible.

Old Jul 17, 2014, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by phltraveler
Offered the same again, $59 for IAH -> LGA upgrade in United Economy E (same TOD upgrade price as V last week). I took it this time... the new Recaro seats on the Airbus' are terrible.

That is so cheap. I hope I get a similar offer. What level status do you have?
Old Jul 21, 2014, 9:39 am

Programs: -
Don't have full details but GF called saying they are offering her ~$500 upgrade from Y to F.
LHR-EWR. Pretty sure she used miles to book. Seems too good to be true?
Old Jul 21, 2014, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by jfkcnf
Don't have full details but GF called saying they are offering her ~$500 upgrade from Y to F.
LHR-EWR. Pretty sure she used miles to book. Seems too good to be true?
i heard about a similar offer from a friend, double upgrade from economy (L class) to GF (ON class) for under $700 one way on the same route (eastbound)...he accepted and flew it...

fwiw, i'm being offered a "TOD" of sorts from DL right now...a $100 discount over the lowest available F fare, given the delta between my Y fare purchased + "TOD" being offered.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
TOD - tens of dollars....is this dead horse stinking yet??
Not at all. Just last night I received a $79 TOD for my LGA-ORD flight upon OLCI. I'm on an S fare, one way goes for $164. Cheapest V-up is $494 o/w. You do the math :-:

Old Jul 21, 2014, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
DEN-BWI
S-fare
T-25 offered $484 to UG
At OLCI, offer was $159.
Declined and sitting at #6 at T-22

UPDATE: Website now offering me the same UG as the mobile app but the price is $508 vs. $159

Last edited by limey1K; Jul 21, 2014 at 12:41 pm Reason: Update
Old Jul 21, 2014, 1:18 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
ORD -> MLI
$109 at OLCI
declined because paying ~$1/mile seemed silly.
Cleared at the gate.

Everyone else must have thought same as the entire FC cabin was CPUs.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 9:21 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
PBI to EWR
$279 at OLCI
Absolutely not
#2 on upgrade list. Grabbed a bulkhead E+ seat 3 hours before the flight.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 9:48 am

Programs: UA 1K /2mm / Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hilton Diamond
$149 SFO-SEA on L fare, Silver
$179 SFO-SEA on L fare, 1K
(Same PNR, same ticket price, PRUs from 1K account pending for both travelers).

Multiple gripes:
1) Only 1 remaining seat in F, 2 of us on the PNR (so it would have split), but offered to both of us
2) This is a flight I have had pending RPUs on for 4 weeks. At the time of booking, no sold F inventory, and none ever clearly made available (though 4 of the seats at check in now show as upgrades). PRUs "spent" by virtue of the other leg of the flight. I know this is well worn territory on FT, but being asked to buy an upgrade that you have already "paid for" (the spent RPU) chafes me.
3) we have been 1 and 2 on the UG list since check-in started, a couple of people from below us are now confirmed (so buy-ups trump RPUs).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.