Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 20, 2013, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2015, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Tried to self-TOD myself but fell a bit short...

Taking an EWR-STL flight at the end of August - E170 on way out, A319/737 on the way back via ORD. I'm already booked on the return in F (Z class), but I noticed that if I reprice the entire trip in F (A class on the way out, and P on the return - this is a fare class downgrade, so was aware it was unlikely to work), it was just $5(!) more than my original itinerary. Given that it is saying 'online upgrade not available', and with my lack of interest in spending 17.5k miles to upgrade on an RJ, I thought it'd be worth calling in to see what my options were. As it turned out, the upfare was $69 (my guess is that was the $5 + the difference between P and Z on the return), but the phone agent said I'd be subject to a $200 change fee if I did that. I was surprised, as I thought the change fee was only assessed if you changed the actual flight you were flying, not simply trying to upfare on the same flight.

I figure I will probably just roll the dice on the CPU (surprisingly, no one's booked any F seats on this flight so far, even though it's probably long enough to qualify for dinner), but figured it was worth a shot.
wouldn't hurt to HUACA, usually an upfare results in a waiver of the change fee. it's not policy, but many/most agents will do it...
Old Jul 29, 2015, 8:50 am

Programs: UA 1k
Try referencing GG BUYUP with the phone agent. You can search this term for discussion on moving to F without the change fee.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Anybody have any experience IAH-DEN? I'm flying it on a Saturday morning on the 787...
So I answered my own question here. After checking united.com relentlessly, today I was shown the chance to upgrade for $13. $12.54 to be precise, but it rounded to $13 on the upgrade page. Knowing UA I screenshotted every step of the process so we'll see what happens.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 11:16 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, TrueBlue, IHG Plat Amb, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Accor Platinum, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
So I answered my own question here. After checking united.com relentlessly, today I was shown the chance to upgrade for $13. $12.54 to be precise, but it rounded to $13 on the upgrade page. Knowing UA I screenshotted every step of the process so we'll see what happens.
Heh watch out for the Bait and Switch and smart to screen shot all steps. That pending $12.54 may indeed post much higher.

See this thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ly-booked.html

...or you may totally luck out and the charge will disappear and you'll ride upfront for free.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Maybe time for a change.....

Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
Exactly.

When you see that you were practically the first to book the flight in question (4 months in) and your upgrades never clear even up to 2-3 days before the flight - while all the time you see Y seats (15-17 in total over this period) in the back of the plane (definitely not elites) vacate and then fill the business cabin - it is truly infuriating.

Then they offer the seats for *A awards and do not bother to upgrade us, until I called in finally! (I had been checking weekly a month close-in to the flight date)
After having this happen to me too many times and having experience the numerous recent "upgrades" to the MP program I am now less concerned with "loyalty" to UA. I am Gold for live so I now just look for best fares on multiple carriers and hope FT will help me negotiate the complex fare jungle for upgrades and first class purchases.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 11:54 am

Upgraded to First on LGA to ORD flight for $8

Hi there!

I'm new here but thought I'd get thoughts on something very strange that just happened...

For my LGA to ORD flight tomorrow, while checking to see if I could improve my (coach) seating assignment, I was offered an upgrade to United First on one segment (the departure out to Chicago) for only $8 (not a typo). I did successfully book it.

Is this a glitch, or is this something that can actually happen when there aren't many elites booked on a flight and first class seats would otherwise be empty? Seems insanely cheap...

In case it matters, I currently have no status (getting close to PQD req'd for Silver).
Old Aug 1, 2015, 11:58 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by eab6287
Hi there!

I'm new here but thought I'd get thoughts on something very strange that just happened...

For my LGA to ORD flight tomorrow, while checking to see if I could improve my (coach) seating assignment, I was offered an upgrade to United First on one segment (the departure out to Chicago) for only $8 (not a typo). I did successfully book it.

Is this a glitch, or is this something that can actually happen when there aren't many elites booked on a flight and first class seats would otherwise be empty? Seems insanely cheap...

In case it matters, I currently have no status (getting close to PQD req'd for Silver).
Congratulations! You scored a TOD (tens of dollars) upgrade.

My advice is to open another *A frequent flier account, because once you pass Silver status on UA, those TODs will increase in price. But if you put the other *A FF # into your reservation, you may see such enticements again.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by transportprof
Congratulations! You scored a TOD (tens of dollars) upgrade.

My advice is to open another *A frequent flier account, because once you pass Silver status on UA, those TODs will increase in price. But if you put the other *A FF # into your reservation, you may see such enticements again.
Thanks! Any theories as to why this happens or why this would make financial sense to them? I've never seen something like this so very curious.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 12:03 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Thanks! Any theories as to why this happens or why this would make financial sense to them? I've never seen something like this so very curious.
Welcome to FT, by the way.

$8 is more than they would get if they had to give away the seat to one of us over-entitled elites who wait patiently on the upgrade list for a CPU (complimentary upgrade). UA's current revenue management team would sell those upgrades for a dollar before they would give it to an over-entitled elite.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 12:03 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Hi there!

Take screenshots of the offer and the confirmation page so when they charge you hundreds of dollars 2 weeks from now because you were accidentally charged the incorrect price, you'll have proof!
Old Aug 1, 2015, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
What fare class was it? ORD-LGA sees a ton of 350.00 round trip in first fares. But yes, when I was a loney silver a few years back, I got a ton of very cheap offers. I don't see those anymore though.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by LASUA1K
What fare class was it? ORD-LGA sees a ton of 350.00 round trip in first fares. But yes, when I was a loney silver a few years back, I got a ton of very cheap offers. I don't see those anymore though.
Original fare class was W. They're also offering me an upgrade for the return flight, but for $88. Seats up front are all currently available, so perhaps they'll decrease the cost closer to the date of the departure. This $8 TOD didn't appear until today (~30 hours before flight).

I can understand why this would be irritating to elites - I'm sure it'll irritate me too once I join the club, but in the meantime, I can't not book it for $8 (shrug)
Old Aug 1, 2015, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by 1353513636
Take screenshots of the offer and the confirmation page so when they charge you hundreds of dollars 2 weeks from now because you were accidentally charged the incorrect price, you'll have proof!
Unfortunately I didn't do that at the time (very dumb in retrospect), and it doesn't seem like there's any way to reissue a receipt/confirmation for just the upgrade cost from my account. I didn't receive any kind of emailed receipt either.

The receipt link on the account is still the original receipt for the flight's original cost and coach booking.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 12:24 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Original fare class was W. They're also offering me an upgrade for the return flight, but for $88. Seats up front are all currently available, so perhaps they'll decrease the cost closer to the date of the departure. This $8 TOD didn't appear until today (~30 hours before flight).

I can understand why this would be irritating to elites - I'm sure it'll irritate me too once I join the club, but in the meantime, I can't not book it for $8 (shrug)
Of course!! 8 bucks you would be silly not to take it!!!
Old Aug 1, 2015, 12:35 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
What was your total ticket price? Or per segment price paid?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.