Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 22, 2017, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Active thread Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues"
Waitilisting for awards

Click for the current rules from United

From the above link:You may redeem miles for travel in United Global First, United First, United Business or United BusinessFirst, even if the space is not available. In these cases, United Economy in the same award type must be confirmed, and the front cabin will be waitlisted. If the courtesy waitlist does not clear, it will expire 24 hours before itinerary departure, and you will automatically be added to the airport upgrade standby list upon check-in. In these cases, you will be confirmed on a space-available basis by a United airport representative at the gate once the flight has closed for check-in. For United BusinessFirst and United Business travel awards, the difference in miles will be refunded when the United BusinessFirst or United Business class segment of the trip could not be confirmed. Waitlist requests may only be made over the phone with your local United Customer Contact Center.
Member experiences:
  1. You must have a confirmed segment to wait list for different cabin and/or a different flight.
  2. Can only waitlist for UA/UX operated flight, cannot waitlist for partner flights. Can waitlist for UA/UX flights on a mixed itin.
  3. Maximum number of WL segments in a PNR is 2.
  4. When confirmed segment is on a partner, you can waitlist for UA operated alternative.
    A report of being refused waitlisting for Economy{mixed reports - need further confirmation/clarification}.

At the airport if you have not yet cleared:

Note: The correct priority term here may in fact be a code that is one of WAI, WBI, WCI, or WDI depending on status. The is per GG ONESTANDBY lines 32-55.

Originally Posted by hughw
The agent should give you “PR-1 status” which gives you top-priority status and moves you to the very top of the upgrade standby list, ahead of employees and everyone else trying to upgrade with miles+cash. If one agent won’t put you on the list as a displaced Business class passenger with PR-1 status then find another one who will. With this status the odds of you getting a business class are very high if there are still open seats (or if anybody no-shows).

If the agents in the airport are all clueless you should direct them to look
up “gg onestandby” in their system (they’ll know exactly what this is)
and look around lines 85-89 which spell out the details of the procedure for
this award.
Note: PR-1 status is given to those who "paid" the requisite miles for an upgraded seat (i.e. biz) when only the non-upgraded space (i.e. coach) was available. The PR-1 status is to clue the system (and agents) in so that it is clear that you have been "displaced." (NOTE: once you have obtained PR-1 status, should there be any change to your ticket, e.g., an involuntary reroute by UA due to missing a connection, the PR-1 status will most likely get dropped and you must have it reattached (esp. before any UGs are given to others).

Unfortunately at T-24, many GAs do not get this concept. Use the above to plead your case but be prepared to be unsatisfied. One method that can get you to a higher level of understanding is the UC. Their staff seem to not only have a better understanding of the issues, but they can contact the gate and exert some influence on the less informed GAs, AND they seem to have more of an interest in helping PAX. If you can get into the UC, it will be worth your while.

**Note: If you get the UG on the long haul, the higher level of award miles you are using (like with the GPU) are considered used up regardless of the short haul. You will not be charged the lower level # of miles (i.e. refunded the diff between the lower level and the higher level you paid in advance), rather the higher level award miles will be considered spent. That is the risk you take when you do Plan B.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2017, 9:19 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by grizseahawks
Only took 2 calls.
That probably beats my average! In the meantime, you can setup an EF alert for O just in the rare chance that it somehow opens up. Setup an alert for I as well (which is practically guaranteed to match IN).

-FlyerBeek
Old Jul 31, 2017, 12:50 pm

I've learned a valuable lesson lately with United. If you're traveling with an infant/lap child and are booking an international ticket with points, if you change your ticket, be prepared to have an hour long call.

It's been the same kind of process trying to get someone to waitlist us on J class (our return leg) standby without a change fee. Finally was able to get a CSR to write a note on my J class waitlist request to NOT charge me a fee but she could not actually put me on the wait list. She told me that the infant/lap child (whose fare has to be paid in cash) is throwing everything off and not allowing her to actually put us (2 adult fares with points and 1 lap child paid fare) on a standby J class. I was incredulous and after spending an hour on the phone, I was not going to pursue further.

She encouraged me to keep calling to see if anything opens up or request it at the airport.

that was after a HUCA on another person who ASSURED me that any request for waitlist/standby would incur a change fee upon redemption. Sheesh.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 2:50 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by gumercindo
.... It's been the same kind of process trying to get someone to waitlist us on J class (our return leg) standby without a change fee. Finally was able to get a CSR to write a note on my J class waitlist request to NOT charge me a fee but she could not actually put me on the wait list. She told me that the infant/lap child (whose fare has to be paid in cash) is throwing everything off and not allowing her to actually put us (2 adult fares with points and 1 lap child paid fare) on a standby J class. I was incredulous and after spending an hour on the phone, I was not going to pursue further. ....
Since there are known issues with waitlisting for upgrades with lapchild, the award waitlist problem does not surprise me.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...lap-child.html
Old Jul 31, 2017, 3:03 pm

Got it, I can see how it makes it systematically difficult. Here's hoping to either something opening up this week or a sympathetic and effective airport agent.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 12:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite (Lifetime Gold), United 1K
Not sure if this is addressed elsewhere... but what has everyone's general success rate been for clearing in advance of 24 hours?

My flights are about a month out (booked three months ago), keep checking all of them, and no dice yet.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 1:03 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cmatthews11
Not sure if this is addressed elsewhere... but what has everyone's general success rate been for clearing in advance of 24 hours?

My flights are about a month out (booked three months ago), keep checking all of them, and no dice yet.
IAD-HNL cleared within a week before the trip roughly - had been booked 329 days out
Old Aug 1, 2017, 4:13 pm

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler

I don't think there are any metrics on success rate or time. I've had flights never clear, and I recently cleared both going and coming EWR-CDG RT 10 weeks out.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 6:30 pm

Programs: UA 2MM

I have always cleared prior to the flight usually about 6-7 days out.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 2:23 am

Programs: Northwest, United
I just booked an award flight SEA-SFO-IST in Business. Got the C seats for the longhaul SFO-IST on TK (which is what matters most, of course) but they were only offering the first leg in coach (that leg is on UA metal).

I'm on the phone with them now, asking to be waitlisted for the SEA-SFO leg. Agent says no, even though you booked and paid for a business class award ticket, if you want to be waitlisted for domestic First on the first leg, I need to charge you more miles for that.

I politely told her that I believe she was mistaken, and that I should be able to waitlist for "PR-1" status as a displaced business class passenger now, at no additional cost, and if the space clears we should get it at no cost then. She's off to check with her supervisor. Manilla call center, I think.

I have a feeling this might be a HUCA-in-the-morning situation...

Nope - after a long hold, she comes back and says yes, she has waitlisted us for that first leg.
^

Now, if I can just get her to dig out the TK PNR number for me, I can cross this off my to-do list for tonight...
Old Aug 3, 2017, 5:19 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by nwflyboy
I just booked an award flight SEA-SFO-IST in Business. Got the C seats for the longhaul SFO-IST on TK (which is what matters most, of course) but they were only offering the first leg in coach (that leg is on UA metal).

I'm on the phone with them now, asking to be waitlisted for the SEA-SFO leg. Agent says no, even though you booked and paid for a business class award ticket, if you want to be waitlisted for domestic First on the first leg, I need to charge you more miles for that..
I sometimes have to wonder who they hire and with what if any training. I have been in the same situation myself several times. I quite honestly didn't think you even needed to ask to be waitlisted on the domestic segment.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 12:33 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by nomad420
I quite honestly didn't think you even needed to ask to be waitlisted on the domestic segment.
You absolutely must request.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by nwflyboy
Got the C seats for the longhaul SFO-IST on TK (which is what matters most, of course)
Enjoy!! Loyal 1K here, but always happy when I can a TK C leg squeezed. Great service, food, hard product.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 11:29 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite (Lifetime Gold), United 1K
1 of my 4 legs finally cleared ~6 weeks out, unfortunately its the smallest of the 4 and on the return (IAH->PIT)... hoping to see my SFO->HNL or HNL->SFO clear in the next month, still plenty of seats left.

Last edited by cmatthews11; Aug 4, 2017 at 5:01 pm
Old Aug 4, 2017, 2:54 pm

Quick follow-up on our EWR-BOS-BOG-SCL business saver award trip tomorrow. United just expanded their travel advisory for NE United States to include our departure date. I'm on phone with United trying to change to desired NYC - IAH - SCL routing in business/first. First rep told me he can't accommodate since there isn't saver space available. That seems to contradict the terms of the travel advisory. Am I being greedy or is this a HUCA scenario? I don't feel comfortable with the little buffer time I have between flights on 2 cities in the NE when the NE is experiencing adverse weather. I can build in an early flight to IAH to work through any delays as necessary and have ample time for the SCL flight. Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Should be positive space if you qualify for the waiver. I'd HUCA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.