Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 22, 2017, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Active thread Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues"
Waitilisting for awards

Click for the current rules from United

From the above link:You may redeem miles for travel in United Global First, United First, United Business or United BusinessFirst, even if the space is not available. In these cases, United Economy in the same award type must be confirmed, and the front cabin will be waitlisted. If the courtesy waitlist does not clear, it will expire 24 hours before itinerary departure, and you will automatically be added to the airport upgrade standby list upon check-in. In these cases, you will be confirmed on a space-available basis by a United airport representative at the gate once the flight has closed for check-in. For United BusinessFirst and United Business travel awards, the difference in miles will be refunded when the United BusinessFirst or United Business class segment of the trip could not be confirmed. Waitlist requests may only be made over the phone with your local United Customer Contact Center.
Member experiences:
  1. You must have a confirmed segment to wait list for different cabin and/or a different flight.
  2. Can only waitlist for UA/UX operated flight, cannot waitlist for partner flights. Can waitlist for UA/UX flights on a mixed itin.
  3. Maximum number of WL segments in a PNR is 2.
  4. When confirmed segment is on a partner, you can waitlist for UA operated alternative.
    A report of being refused waitlisting for Economy{mixed reports - need further confirmation/clarification}.

At the airport if you have not yet cleared:

Note: The correct priority term here may in fact be a code that is one of WAI, WBI, WCI, or WDI depending on status. The is per GG ONESTANDBY lines 32-55.

Originally Posted by hughw
The agent should give you “PR-1 status” which gives you top-priority status and moves you to the very top of the upgrade standby list, ahead of employees and everyone else trying to upgrade with miles+cash. If one agent won’t put you on the list as a displaced Business class passenger with PR-1 status then find another one who will. With this status the odds of you getting a business class are very high if there are still open seats (or if anybody no-shows).

If the agents in the airport are all clueless you should direct them to look
up “gg onestandby” in their system (they’ll know exactly what this is)
and look around lines 85-89 which spell out the details of the procedure for
this award.
Note: PR-1 status is given to those who "paid" the requisite miles for an upgraded seat (i.e. biz) when only the non-upgraded space (i.e. coach) was available. The PR-1 status is to clue the system (and agents) in so that it is clear that you have been "displaced." (NOTE: once you have obtained PR-1 status, should there be any change to your ticket, e.g., an involuntary reroute by UA due to missing a connection, the PR-1 status will most likely get dropped and you must have it reattached (esp. before any UGs are given to others).

Unfortunately at T-24, many GAs do not get this concept. Use the above to plead your case but be prepared to be unsatisfied. One method that can get you to a higher level of understanding is the UC. Their staff seem to not only have a better understanding of the issues, but they can contact the gate and exert some influence on the less informed GAs, AND they seem to have more of an interest in helping PAX. If you can get into the UC, it will be worth your while.

**Note: If you get the UG on the long haul, the higher level of award miles you are using (like with the GPU) are considered used up regardless of the short haul. You will not be charged the lower level # of miles (i.e. refunded the diff between the lower level and the higher level you paid in advance), rather the higher level award miles will be considered spent. That is the risk you take when you do Plan B.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2017, 5:26 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bodiddely
That kind you. But does clearing wait list for I award after confirming in X qualify as "paying miles to upgrade"?
As it costed more miles, believe it will
Old May 13, 2017, 8:49 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by IamHungry
So I will not be able to talk to agent in United/Polaris Lounge if my waitlist is not cleared? Or it is ok to enter the lounge with only x class confirmed?
Not until you have a BP that says "Business Class "
Old May 15, 2017, 3:55 pm

I wonder how would it play out in this situation..... From united website
- Ticketed customers may waitlist for travel in a premium cabin for an alternate flight.

So if I waitlisted for an earlier flight of that day and it didn't clear before T-24. I then go to the airport hoping my waitlist would clear. But I got bags that I need to check them in. If I check in the bags, they would be tagged to my confirmed flight right?

What if my waitlist clears at the gate? Then what would happen to my bags?

Thanks!
Old May 16, 2017, 4:58 pm

Can I waitlist XN class reserved for CC holders?

Hi, I tried to find if this was answered already and sorry if I missed it. I have already made the reservation online by paying the number of miles required for business class for the whole itinerary, which has three segments. The first segment is XN class on UA reserved for CC holders. The next two segments are partner business class I class. Can I call now and request waitlist for the first segment in XN class to I class? I tried to book the reservation by phone, but two agents didn't understand what I was asking. Concerned that the award availability will change, I went ahead and booked online hoping to waitlist later. TIA.
Old May 16, 2017, 5:25 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by isac
.... The first segment is XN class on UA reserved for CC holders. ....
XN is also for elites.

Originally Posted by isac
....The next two segments are partner business class I class. Can I call now and request waitlist for the first segment in XN class to I class? ....
yes that is very standard. Don't use the word upgrade but rather as a business class award you want to waitlist for I space. Have them ask for help if they do not know how to do this.

If you want, you can read to them the quoted UA policy in the wiki.
Old May 17, 2017, 11:20 am

Programs: UA 1K, MM
Originally Posted by lancelot21
Seems to have worked with the second agent I spoke with. Aiming for SFO-CDG (with saver economy available). For completeness I'm summarizing my experience...

...It took maybe 10 more minutes on hold. Receipt shows 57.5K miles. Receipt says, "Fare Class: United Economy (XN) - (IN class requested)."
Just to update, cleared from XN to IN at T-36. Thanks, FlyerTalk :-) !
Old May 17, 2017, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA-Gold 1MM
OK to request "I" upgrade for an entire itinerary?

I booked a OW intl. saver FCO/IAD/CLE in "XN", and waitlisted the itinerary in "I". It looks like some times the award class upgrade is tough not because of the intl. portion, but the domestic. My question is, is there an advantage to request the "I" upgrade only on FCO/IAD and not FAD/CLE?
Old May 17, 2017, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by Art Thomas
I booked a OW intl. saver FCO/IAD/CLE in "XN", and waitlisted the itinerary in "I". It looks like some times the award class upgrade is tough not because of the intl. portion, but the domestic. My question is, is there an advantage to request the "I" upgrade only on FCO/IAD and not FAD/CLE?
Not particularly - as far as effecting the chance of the FCO/IAD upgrade but if the IAD/CLE only clears, not sure what the mileage cost would be.
Old May 17, 2017, 10:25 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
I guess I am unlucky as far as getting an agent that actually listens or understands UA procedure. Perhaps because this agent, from her accent and perfunctory tone, is most likely offshore; or she's just incredibly poorly trained/clueless; or both.

My original award flight was ticketed for Global First, but the domestic segment (first segment) had no first class available in Saver, so I booked that in Y regardless and that segment was waitlisted automatically.

There was a schedule change and I called in to change the domestic segment to a more suitable time. That went fine. However, the I noticed the Waitlist for that segment has now disappeared.

Simple solution is to get back on the waitlist... or so I thought...

Called UA and get an agent who, even after I told her I had an award reservation, after 30 minutes on hold, comes back and says I need a COPAY to WAITLIST!?

I already told her it was an award ticket multiple times, she even said I redeemed 80,000 miles and am in Global First for the international portion, yet she comes back and says I'm trying to upgrade to business on the domestic segment, saying it is a revenue ticket. Ugh...

When I repeat again what has happened, she then turns the story around and says that I will need an additional 50,000 miles to get the business class seat for my domestic segment... WTH?! Why would I need to do that? I only want to WAITLIST. Her response is: there is availability on that flight for 50,000 miles; I cannot wait list you because there is availability for that seat.

OMFG... you cannot be serious... again, explain I am looking to waitlist for a SAVER award. Response again is that you need 50,000 miles.

Seriously, I spent nearly an hour on the phone for this kind of cluelessness. Most of it on a hold for a supervisor, who in all likelihood, was given bad info by the agent in the first place.

If this is any indication of how my flight will be, I'm screwed. In the past, at least I had the 1K card to help; now as a useless Silver, abandon all hope...
Old May 17, 2017, 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld
... Seriously, I spent nearly an hour on the phone for this kind of cluelessness. ....
Never fight with an agent, never think you are going to convince them to do something they say is impossible, ....

Just politely, close the discussion -- HUCA.
While you have to start over, forget about the sunk costs; things will be resolved much quicker. And a much lower aggravation level,

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 18, 2017 at 10:27 am Reason: typo
Old May 18, 2017, 10:08 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Never flight with an agent, never think you are going to convince them to do something they say is impossible, ....

Just politely, close the discussion -- HUCA.
While you have to start over, forget about the sunk costs; things will be resolved much quicker. And a much lower aggravation level,
Agreed, I did exactly that... after realizing the agent was so clueless it was beyond salvaging.

Well, not exactly; have not called again. Just waiting for maybe a time window that I won't get offshore call center.
Old May 18, 2017, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld
Agreed, I did exactly that... after realizing the agent was so clueless it was beyond salvaging....
If I am not getting "cooperative" agreement within 10 minutes, I'm gone - HUCA
Doesn't happen often, but if we aren't on the same page quickly, I am moving on.
Old May 18, 2017, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
If I am not getting "cooperative" agreement within 10 minutes, I'm gone - HUCA
Doesn't happen often, but if we aren't on the same page quickly, I am moving on.
Honestly, I can usually tell within about 15 seconds whether the agent will be helpful. The less helpful variety are capable of handling routine requests just fine, and I will give them a shot with tricky ones, but I'm primed to HUCA pretty early. Sometimes the less helpful/knowledgeable agents will actually do really good things for you though since they don't understand the rules they're breaking. It cuts both ways
Old May 18, 2017, 1:00 pm

Called Mileage Plus CSC regarding F 80K saver award PDX-LAX-NRT, one ticket, one itinerary. PDX-LAX is economy XN, LAX-NRT is F. Agent at MP said she would talk to supervisor, came back and said the Y segment was now waitlisted to I. It is indeed entered on my itinerary. Question: If the waitlist clears will I owe anything additional in terms of miles or money? . I'm not 1K, no other status. How can I find out where I am in the waitlist pecking order/priority? Thank you in advance. I've never waitlisted before. Any other tips would be appreciated.

FWIW, originally I called the regular reservation line a few times to request the I waitlist, but encountered cluelessness or the 'you can upgrade', pay more now problem.

When I went to my itinerary I clicked on seat selection after I got UA agent to place I waitlist for Y segment. There is now an additional seat selection for the same PDX-LAX segment. I am in Y on that, but the second PDX-LAX selection allows me to select an I seat? Should I do that now? Don't want to gum up the works. Does this mean the waitlist has cleared? Reply is appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 18, 2017 at 1:40 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old May 18, 2017, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by loopflyer
When I went to my itinerary I clicked on seat selection after I got UA agent to place I waitlist for Y segment. There is now an additional seat selection for the same PDX-LAX segment. I am in Y on that, but the second PDX-LAX selection allows me to select an I seat? Should I do that now? Don't want to gum up the works. Does this mean the waitlist has cleared? Reply is appreciated. Thank you in advance.
No. The waitlist hasn't cleared if you see 'an additional' seat selection for the same segment.

You'll be able to choose a seat, but clicking confirm won't do anything and you'll still be in Y. You won't mess anything up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.