Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2015 MileagePlus Change-No more inherited benefits from higher status accounts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 26, 2013, 3:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Effective April 15, 2015, the "carry-over" benefit where a lower/non-status passengers inherited the benefits of a higher status passenger who booked an award ticket booked and/or sponsored an upgrade for them will be ending.

This DOES apply to:
  • Upgrade status: Will now be the status of the traveler as opposed to that of the redeeming account
  • Baggage fees (but elites on the same flight can still check non-elite companions' baggage as their own)
  • E+ seating (but elites on the same flight can still call in to get free E+ for non-elite companions)
  • boarding priority (but elites on the same flight can still bring non-elite companions along when boarding)
  • IRROPS priority
  • CPU (not day of departure) if the account holder has a Chase Mileage Plus credit card.
  • United Club Access (did seem to retain for awhile but no longer)

This does NOT apply to:
  • TSA Pre-Check (as this did not transfer anyway)
  • *Alliance & Non-UA Lounge Access

The CPU benefit only seems to occur if there is only a single person (and one companion for GS) on the PNR.

Separating the PNR produces inconsistent results so it is best to book each person on a separate record should you desire to have the person you booked the ticket for inherit the benefits.

Questions
Will this affect/change the award fees for changes/deposits if the miles came from an elite?
Award changes are based on the account from which the miles came. As it was before this change.

Known Website CPU Glitch (pre 4-15-2015)
The pre-change thread as been archived as Inherited status benefit of award tickets archive (pre-2015 MP program change)

Print Wikipost

2015 MileagePlus Change-No more inherited benefits from higher status accounts

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2014, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It will hold. At least for now you inherit their status when using their miles.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 2:55 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Baze
It will hold..
It will hold as long as he has status
Old Sep 14, 2014, 5:17 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K; Alaska MVP 75K; Hilton Honors Diamond; Hertz Pres Circle
Good data point here --

Booked a trip on someone else's miles (Plat account) and was not upgraded ahead of time. Arrived at DCA and told the agent at first class check-in I was on an award ticket that was upgrade-eligible because of Chase. I rambled for about five seconds about GG Chase, blah, blah, and he stopped me to let me know he put me on the list. Finally...someone who knew what they were doing! I was number one on the list and got the upgrade. So, be sure to ask to be placed on the list at the airport. You never know what will happen.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA premier gold
Originally Posted by dinoscool3
Don't let facts get in the way if some good old fashion PMCO bashing!
The two key things that keeps me from going to AA are the MM spouse and inherited status award "benefits"
Old Sep 15, 2014, 3:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Originally Posted by mikierin
The two key things that keeps me from going to AA are the MM spouse and inherited status award "benefits"
This is one UA benefit that has good value for me. Having no kids of my own, I often help friends move their kids from place to place (college etc) and once in a while invite a friend or their kid from some challenged climate out to visit us in California. They really enjoy the E+ seating on TATL flights at the very least!
Old Sep 15, 2014, 8:05 pm

Programs: United Premier Gold
International Award Flight for Spouse

Hey friends!

Quick question....

Bought my wife an award flight to Thailand using my miles. I am a Premier Gold.

Will she carry that Gold status? I am thinking lounge access for her.

Thoughts?
Old Sep 15, 2014, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ericjkelly
Hey friends!

Quick question....

Thoughts?
Yes. Whole thread on this "benefits inheritance".
Old Sep 15, 2014, 8:26 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by aacharya
Whole thread on this "benefits inheritance".
And now merged into it
Old Sep 15, 2014, 8:26 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ericjkelly

Thoughts?
Lounge access is hit and miss. Inherit status tends to only show up for UA flight segments. Some have been success to getting lounge access but generally it is a no. See wiki
Old Sep 15, 2014, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by aacharya
Yes. Whole thread on this "benefits inheritance".
Won't it depend on all segments being on United?
Old Sep 15, 2014, 9:04 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SAPriorityTag
Won't it depend on all segments being on United?
If it's a partner you can just give them the *G number and they'll usually let them in. I've rarely had anyone demand to see a card, although it does happen. Sometimes, partner bookings are pre-loaded with the *G number used to book the reservation.

One time, I booked an award ticket for 2 people on LH and the check-in agent freaked out since the same MP number was on the record for both people.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 9:24 pm

Programs: United Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Five Star
I booked a flight using my UA Gold account, and she was able to access the Air China Lounge at PEK. I don't know if it was the gate agent that overlooked it or not but she said there wan't any question.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 5:28 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Lounge access is hit and miss. Inherit status tends to only show up for UA flight segments. Some have been success to getting lounge access but generally it is a no. See wiki
Originally Posted by vicfly7
I booked a flight using my UA Gold account, and she was able to access the Air China Lounge at PEK. I don't know if it was the gate agent that overlooked it or not but she said there wan't any question.
As noted, hit and miss. My mother-in-law was traveling on my Plat status a couple years ago and was able to access the United Club in ORD outbound, and OZ lounge at ICN on the return.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 5:32 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
And as I've mentioned back in March I had no trouble at 2 US Clubs, 2 LH Clubs and an SAS Lounge. So absolutely try it ^
Old Oct 1, 2014, 2:38 am

Location: San Francisco, CA USA // UA 1K 2 Million Miler, AA EXP 2MM, HH Diamond, SPG Plat // Easily found on SFO-ORDs
*G benefits (incl lounge) for non-1K traveling on 1K's miles?

I have booked a friend CDG-FRA-SFO using miles from my 1K account. The receipt shows his status as 1K/*G and he has access to E+ seats (with no status of his own).

He's LH on the short haul and then UA on the FRA-SFO.

Will LH see him as a *G? Will he have lounge access in CDG and FRA based on his BP? Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.