Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2015 MileagePlus Change-No more inherited benefits from higher status accounts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 26, 2013, 3:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Effective April 15, 2015, the "carry-over" benefit where a lower/non-status passengers inherited the benefits of a higher status passenger who booked an award ticket booked and/or sponsored an upgrade for them will be ending.

This DOES apply to:
  • Upgrade status: Will now be the status of the traveler as opposed to that of the redeeming account
  • Baggage fees (but elites on the same flight can still check non-elite companions' baggage as their own)
  • E+ seating (but elites on the same flight can still call in to get free E+ for non-elite companions)
  • boarding priority (but elites on the same flight can still bring non-elite companions along when boarding)
  • IRROPS priority
  • CPU (not day of departure) if the account holder has a Chase Mileage Plus credit card.
  • United Club Access (did seem to retain for awhile but no longer)

This does NOT apply to:
  • TSA Pre-Check (as this did not transfer anyway)
  • *Alliance & Non-UA Lounge Access

The CPU benefit only seems to occur if there is only a single person (and one companion for GS) on the PNR.

Separating the PNR produces inconsistent results so it is best to book each person on a separate record should you desire to have the person you booked the ticket for inherit the benefits.

Questions
Will this affect/change the award fees for changes/deposits if the miles came from an elite?
Award changes are based on the account from which the miles came. As it was before this change.

Known Website CPU Glitch (pre 4-15-2015)
The pre-change thread as been archived as Inherited status benefit of award tickets archive (pre-2015 MP program change)

Print Wikipost

2015 MileagePlus Change-No more inherited benefits from higher status accounts

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:32 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SF1K
2. Award travel will no longer carry the status of the person whose miles where used, instead status of person actually traveling. (I think this is a good thing).
Just to clarify, here is what was said:

Originally Posted by United.com
Complimentary Premier Access is determined by the Premier status of the traveler on the day of travel. Customers traveling on the same reservation as someone who is eligible to receive complimentary Premier Access will also receive complimentary Premier Access. As of April 15, 2015, complimentary Premier Access for travelers on award tickets is based on the traveler's Premier status on the day of travel, rather than the status of the member whose miles were used to purchase the award ticket.
First, this notice only calls out a change of the "inherit" bug/benefit for day-of-departure purposes.

If that's the case, then I'd imagine that the pre check-in inherit bugs remain (i.e. CPUs and E+ if the miles come from a Gold or higher account).

Second, I'm thinking an easy way for them to implement this is to have the online check-in system verify that the MileagePlus number in the record matches the name of the traveler. That way fees (premier access, baggage) will be correctly collected if the traveler is non-elite.

Again, I have no idea how they're coding this. Maybe this is just wishful thinking on my part. We'll soon find out.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:41 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
It *might* not be as bad as we think. As, I said in the main 2015 program thread:

Originally Posted by boat9781
2. Award travel will no longer carry the status of the person whose miles where used, instead status of person actually traveling. (I think this is a good thing).
Just to clarify, here is what was said:

Originally Posted by United.com
Complimentary Premier Access is determined by the Premier status of the traveler on the day of travel. Customers traveling on the same reservation as someone who is eligible to receive complimentary Premier Access will also receive complimentary Premier Access. As of April 15, 2015, complimentary Premier Access for travelers on award tickets is based on the traveler's Premier status on the day of travel, rather than the status of the member whose miles were used to purchase the award ticket.
First, this notice only calls out a change of the "inherit" bug/benefit for day-of-departure purposes.

If that's the case, then I'd imagine that the pre check-in inherit bugs remain (i.e. CPUs and E+ if the miles come from a Gold or higher account).

Second, I'm thinking an easy way for them to implement this is to have the online check-in system verify that the MileagePlus number in the record matches the name of the traveler. That way fees (premier access, baggage) will be correctly collected if the traveler is non-elite.
Again, I have no idea how they're coding this. Maybe this is just wishful thinking on my part. We'll soon find out.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We have these "is it a feature or a defect" discussions about our product all the time

My guess is that the number of the MP account holder gets inserted as an OSI FQTV in the PNR when the PNR is created. This is probably done to help tracing the PNR back to the account. The downline systems just take the OSI FQTV as the traveller's # without any validation.

I would guess to really fix the problem, they would have to put in something else for the account holder's number and put the traveller's number in OSI FQTV. My understanding is OSI supports free text so I wonder why they did it this way to start with.

PMUA's system did this also but the benefits seem to happen only when travelling on other airlines, right?

Last edited by username; Nov 19, 2014 at 8:29 am
Old Nov 19, 2014, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
+1

I would also suggest it should apply for paid tickets as well. Those on the same PNR that travel with someone that has status should not be put on the upgrade list.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 8:46 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Just glanced thru. Biggest changes:

1. No co-pay waiver for PS upgrades for Premier Members. - not great but not as bad as DL. So hopefully it will make upgrade space easier on those routes??

Good thing??? Bad thing. I travel with my kids, my employer pays my ticket I use my hard earned miles for my kids. My kids get E+ now I will have to pay as the new UA wont allow. Dumb dumb petty little things like this!
Old Nov 19, 2014, 8:53 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
+1

I would also suggest it should apply for paid tickets as well. Those on the same PNR that travel with someone that has status should not be put on the upgrade list.
Does it even matter? Who's getting upgraded via the list anymore anyway? I've had 2 CPUs in 2014...And that includes most travel to LAS, MCO and PHL...Not even much hub-hub travel.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 8:57 am

It *might* not be as bad as we think. As, I said in the main 2015 program thread:

Looks like they clarified on UA.com

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...dbenefits.aspx

Travel benefits on award tickets

As of April 15, 2015, when traveling on an award ticket for United- and United Express®-operated flights, benefits including but not limited to complimentary Economy Plus seating, Premier priority travel services (such as Premier Access check-in and priority boarding), and checked baggage service charge waivers are determined by the traveler's own Premier status, even if another member's miles were used to purchase the award ticket. Customers traveling on the same reservation as a Premier member may receive the applicable companion benefits. Please visit the pages relating to specific Premier benefits for more information.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 9:01 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by edcho
Looks like they clarified on UA.com

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...dbenefits.aspx
Wow. I have been away for three weeks and not really checking FT. I can't believe this one. UA has had a busy few weeks with all their "enhancements"
Old Nov 19, 2014, 9:08 am

Programs: UA GS 4+ MM
Anyone know if change/cancel/refund miles fees are still going to be determined by the account holder's status? Massive negative if it is now determined by the travelers status.

Update -- found answer. Still by account holder's status.

Last edited by dkc715; Nov 19, 2014 at 9:12 am Reason: Mods can delete if post not useful
Old Nov 19, 2014, 9:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
This change will have negative and positive impacts.

The negatives are obvious. Our gifted miles won't be nearly so valuable.

On the positive side, it will reduce CPUs given to non-elite travelers just because they are traveling on elite miles. This could be particularly meaningful if the change is applied to GS.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Kacee
This change will have negative and positive impacts.

The negatives are obvious. Our gifted miles won't be nearly so valuable.

On the positive side, it will reduce CPUs given to non-elite travelers just because they are traveling on elite miles. This could be particularly meaningful if the change is applied to GS.
Will elites traveling on award tickets from via non-elite status accounts enjoy E+ and CPU after 4/15?
Old Nov 19, 2014, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by kb1992
Will elites traveling on award tickets from via non-elite status accounts enjoy E+ and CPU after 4/15?
If eligible, you should in theory. However, in practice can be totally different (and potentially difficult). It's hard enough to put yourself on the battlefield list on award right now.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 10:25 am

Programs: UA 1k, US Airways Silver, SPG PLT, Marriot Gold, Hertz PC
Transferring status benefits was kind of a big deal for me, I liked sharing my perks with family.

This will likely cause me to cancel my UA Explorer Card, it's the only reason I kept it.

First of UA's "changes" that has hurt me
Old Nov 19, 2014, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
Good thing??? Bad thing. I travel with my kids, my employer pays my ticket I use my hard earned miles for my kids. My kids get E+ now I will have to pay as the new UA wont allow. Dumb dumb petty little things like this!
Others who don't travel with kids/spouse probably have the opposite view.

We've enjoyed Premier-for-non-premiers for longer than I thought it would last.

There will be fewer BG1 faux 1Ks traveling on my miles.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Nov 19, 2014 at 10:46 am
Old Nov 19, 2014, 10:54 am

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, National Exec Elite, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, AMTRAK

I'd bet this would not be done at checkin but at point of purchase. Right now it (at least I believe this is the case) puts the MP number in the "benefits" field of the record but not the "earnings" field of the record. I think this is why the inherited passenger gets A)reciept notates ff number and status and B) when you click on "earn more miles" link for a reward ticket it says "you have to be a member to get miles, put your mp number in". Not to mention at booking picking e+ seats at booking so I'd say this is done at booking.

My guess it will just omit the ff number completely from the record.

It was nice to be able to get my mom and dad e+ and free bags but I get the reason they are fixing this bug which it was. I'll just have to let them fly on first class reward tickets more.

One thing that worries me as a 1k I book tickets for my mom and dad quite a bit and if they have changes I've easily changed them and canceled. Will we have issues changing and canceling such as with mileage redeposit?

Last edited by mht_flyer; Nov 19, 2014 at 11:02 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.