Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus PQM /RDM Accrual Rates for ANA Flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 24, 2019, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

MileagePlus PQM /RDM Accrual Rates for ANA Flights?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2016, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

Location: EWR and KGL (with occasional home/work trips to NRT/ITM)
Programs: MP MM 1K, Sky Miles, Emirates Gold
I have an upcoming trip to Singapore from US with UA stock (016) and UA code share number (W fare) ANA flights on NRT-SIN-NRT. My trip to Singapore is an appendix to US-NRT portion and I am primary doing that to take advantage of much lower fare then booking strait to Japan.

Upon checking my reservation on the UA website, I noticed that the return portion of my trip "SIN-NRT" indicates that the segment is not eligible for PQM. I am puzzled as the ticket is on "W" fare which is PQM eligible according to the UA site.

Am I safe to assume (upon glancing through this thread) that I should not trust the UA Web site reservation info and I should be able to get the rightful PQM earning upon taking my flight?
Old Oct 13, 2016, 7:51 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Atuchan
Upon checking my reservation on the UA website, I noticed that the return portion of my trip "SIN-NRT" indicates that the segment is not eligible for PQM. I am puzzled as the ticket is on "W" fare which is PQM eligible according to the UA site. ....
If the ANA/NH fare class is mileage earning, ignore the comment -- http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...itinerary.html
Old Dec 20, 2016, 5:45 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Avis First
Would be curious to hear recent mile reporting times for ANA-operated and ticketed flights to MileagePlus--what's the usual lag time? I have one last flight next week and need the PQMs earned from the ANA flight (C fare) to get to 1K. Thanks!

Last edited by monserco1; Dec 20, 2016 at 5:54 pm
Old Dec 20, 2016, 5:59 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by monserco1
Would be curious to hear recent mile reporting times for ANA-operated and ticketed flights to MileagePlus--what's the usual lag time? I have one last flight next week and need the PQMs earned from the ANA flight (C fare) to get to 1K. Thanks!
The reporting time is a secondary issue, the PQM credit will back-post based on the date of the scheduled departure even if the reporting is delayeduntil after January 1.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 1:23 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
I might have an Air Japan flight from HGK to NRT. According to the details pulldown on the flight on the UA website, it's a K fare, with a UA codeshare number. But, zero PQMs.

Is this correct, or a bug in .bomb? I know that Air Japan is an ANA contract, but shouldn't there be at least 50% PQM for a flight with a K fare? Especially with a UA codeshare number?
Old Jul 6, 2017, 6:59 pm

Programs: United Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Still confused about Air Japan PQM...

I've seen a couple of other threads (back from 2010 and 2012) saying people have received PQM from NH flights operated by Air Japan. Today when looking at booking a LAS-LAX-NRT-TPE flight on the UA website, with the final NRT-TPE flight a NH flight operated by Air Japan, it's not showing any miles in the earning estimate - just 5,687 for the LAS-LAX and LAX-NRT segments.

S class should get 100% in conjunction with an international ticket - has anybody recently been shown on the UA site they won't receive PQM for the Air Japan portion only to actually get them after the flight?

Thanks!
Old Jul 6, 2017, 8:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by vegascraig
I've seen a couple of other threads (back from 2010 and 2012) saying people have received PQM from NH flights operated by Air Japan. Today when looking at booking a LAS-LAX-NRT-TPE flight on the UA website, with the final NRT-TPE flight a NH flight operated by Air Japan, it's not showing any miles in the earning estimate - just 5,687 for the LAS-LAX and LAX-NRT segments.
The accruals shown on the website for partner flights are notoriously unreliable. The Air Japan flight will earn 100%.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 8:10 pm

Programs: United Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Kacee
The accruals shown on the website for partner flights are notoriously unreliable. The Air Japan flight will earn 100%.
Thank you! It's hard to keep gold as a leisure traveler, so every mile counts! I appreciate your quick response Kacee!!
Old Jan 5, 2018, 3:49 pm

Book joint flight on UA/ANA through UA or ANA?

UA/ANA is offering a very good price on a flight from EWR-SIN via TYO for under $500 return. I would pay with Chase UR points via Chase's site at a rate of $0.015 per Sapphire Reserve points (about 32K UR points total for the RT).
The transpacific leg is on UA and the TYO-SIN-TYO leg is on ANA.
I am a member of UA's Mileage Plus Program...not a member of ANA's mileage program, and no elite status with UA.
On Chase's UR travel booking page the trip is shown marketed by UA and marketed by ANA at about the same price.
A few questions (yes, I did research them online but found responses quite confusing):

1. If I book it marketed by UA, will I get full Mileage Plus credit for both the UA and ANA legs of the trip? If not, what would I get? What would I get if I book the same flight marketed through ANA?
2. Would there be any differences in flight change penalties based on which airline is marketing the flight?

Thanks in advance,
Protagonist.

Last edited by protagonist; Jan 5, 2018 at 9:55 pm
Old Jan 5, 2018, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by protagonist
... 1. If I book it marketed by UA, will I get full Mileage Plus credit for both the UA and ANA legs of the trip? If not, what would I get? What would I get if I book the same flight marketed through ANA? ...
The PQMs would be the same either on a UA or NH ticket.
On UA, the PQDs and RDMS will depend if Chase issues a BULK or published fare ticket. If you are seinge the Chase price on united.com or elsewhere it is probably not BULK and would be the standard mileage earning rules for both segments

...2. Would there be any differences in flight change penalties based on which airline is marketing the flight? ...
Change fees are ticketing carrier specific, they may or may not be different. As a JV, they have aligned fares, not sure about fees.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 10:36 pm

Please forgive my ignorance here....
The same fare is quoted on UA's webpage so that is good.
On htat page, for the same flight, UA offers 920 "base award miles" and 10,060 PQMs.

I understand that PQM's are credits towards premier status. But does this mean that if I take the flight I would only get 920 Mileage Plus miles credited to my account....the 10060 would count towards premier status but could not be used to pay for another flight?

I find it very confusing, and reading UA's explanation did not help much.

Thanks.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 10:42 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
On htat page, for the same flight, UA offers 920 "base award miles" and 10,060 PQMs.

I understand that PQM's are credits towards premier status. But does this mean that if I take the flight I would only get 920 Mileage Plus miles credited to my account....the 10060 would count towards premier status but could not be used to pay for another flight?

Thanks.
You earn RDMs (redeemable miles) on United issued tickets (016) based on your status and how much the flight cost (taxes exuded). As a non-status member you get 5x the airfare paid. However, you will receive the actual miles flown towards premier status qualification.

If you're looking to maximize UR points, I'd recommend paying for the airfare. You can use your UR points for premium cabin travel via transfer partners (if you're interested in that).

Last edited by JHake10; Jan 5, 2018 at 10:49 pm
Old Jan 5, 2018, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, that is correct. UA's change from distance-based to price-based earnings a couple of years ago drastically reduced the ability to earn MileagePlus miles on inexpensive tickets.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 11:39 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold

Thanks.
As others pointed out, rules have changed and it's not complicated.

You still get EQMs, but if you score a low fare, just a handful EQ$ and redeemable miles.

And no lifetime miles via ANA ticket if that matters to you (no way for me to 2MM).
Old Jan 5, 2018, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EmailKid
And no lifetime miles via ANA ticket if that matters to you (no way for me to 2MM).
That's not true. You'll get lifetime miles for all* UA flights, regardless of ticket stock. You'd get no lifetime miles for the ANA-operated flight from NRT to SIN, also regardless of whether it's a UA or ANA ticket.

* Excluding Basic Economy, which isn't available internationally yet and so is not a concern here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.