Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

JFK/EWR to SFO - United First Class vs CO Business First

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2012, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: CONTINENTAL ONE PASS

A few weeks ago I booked the following flight for 85,000 miles.
JFK to SFO and SFO back to EWR (all on a Boeing 757-200)
I havent flown in over 3 years so I wanted to have a lovely and luscious experience. Since CO doesnt offer FC I tried to get a round trip FC on United.
I was able to get FC on United to SFO (from JFK, ugh) but on the way back there was nothing in FC on United so I opted in a Business First on CO back to EWR (I live in NJ so I prefer EWR)
I looked online to get info on United FC cabin and I wasnt impressed. Is there a big difference between United FC and CO Bunsiness First?
Is it worth it dragging my ... to JFK to get a FC flight or would i have been better taking a CO BF from EWR?
Also, what airline has the best FC or Business experience from NYC to SFO?
Does any airline have anthing close to an international business class experience (like Virgins UC)?
Sorry for asking so many questions.
It's been ages since I flew and I'm nervous/excited
I'm, the type that gets more excited about the flight than the destination
Jim
Old Mar 5, 2012, 10:47 am

Programs: United 1K, Hyatt Discoverist
So your JFK-SFO will be United's Premium Service. First Class is almost lie flat and has from what I understand quite upgraded service from domestic first class. However, with the merger, many are complaining about First on PS losing its magic, right as Delta's Transcon Premium Product is getting quite good. Nevertheless, it is sure to be better than regular domestic first or business. Your trip on the way back will be a BusinessFirst seat and Domestic First Service. You can look online to get details on your meal options. The BF seat is completely lie-flat, however you only get BF on this aircraft because United is optimizing their aircraft routing and using an international plane for this route. This is not sold as a BusinessFirst market.

So, in conclusion, if you want something special from NY-SFO go to JFK and take Delta's BusinessElite or United PS. Also, I think American has something for that route. But if you just want the seat go for EWR-SFO on the UA 752, it'll be better than the options from JFK. And the service will be regular domestic first.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd go with Virgin, honestly. Probably the best transcon ride out there.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 11:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by revigik
And the service will be regular domestic first.
The transcon F service is a step up, with meal choices/courses much better than "regular domestic first."
Old Mar 5, 2012, 11:14 am

Programs: UA 1K, National Car EE, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Platnium/Lifetime Silver
I just did P.S. F and I honestly wasn't impressed. The seat is small compared to the OLD BF seat to say nothing about the New BF seat. The international F lounge at JFK is a freaking joke. Ramen noodles do NOT make a International First Lounge.

In addition they still have those digiplayers which they collect about 45 min before landing (though they pass them out to first then business and collect the opposite) while BF has built in media in the seat. I do not know much about the food choices on BF transcon but I would not use miles on P.S. again over BF.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 11:20 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by JACKENSACK
I havent flown in over 3 years so I wanted to have a lovely and luscious experience. Since CO doesnt offer FC I tried to get a round trip FC on United.
I was able to get FC on United to SFO (from JFK, ugh) but on the way back there was nothing in FC on United so I opted in a Business First on CO back to EWR (I live in NJ so I prefer EWR)
I looked online to get info on United FC cabin and I wasnt impressed. Is there a big difference between United FC and CO Bunsiness First?
Is it worth it dragging my ... to JFK to get a FC flight or would i have been better taking a CO BF from EWR?
Does any airline have anthing close to an international business class experience (like Virgins UC)?
Jim
How does this earn 85000 miles? Cost ? CPM ?
Old Mar 5, 2012, 11:31 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
I want to have a lovely and luscious experience.
That isn't going to happen on any commercial airline any more.

UA PS in F on the 757 is completely lay flat. However, it is not horizontal. It is the SQ Space Bed seat.

The CO business class seats are lay-flat and horizontal, but are quite narrow. There are also four additional seats in the cabin.

Virgin America does not have sleeper style seats.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 11:36 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
JFK-SFO is a 3 cabin service. You'll be able to use the International First Class Lounge in JFK. You get a handheld video player, noise cancellation headset, and a menu for your meal. Lunch and Dinner comes with a sundae cart service. It's as close to international business class as it gets.

OP is redeeming 85,000 miles for the flights, not earning.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by HMPS
How does this earn 85000 miles? Cost ? CPM ?
Award ticket.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by NYC2TheWorld
I just did P.S. F and I honestly wasn't impressed. The seat is small compared to the OLD BF seat to say nothing about the New BF seat.
I am assuming you are not referring to the business seats on the former CO 757s because they are quite confining while the UA 757 PS seats are not.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 11:45 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
85 K ?

Jim
How does this translate to 85000 miles?

Cost ? CPM ?
Old Mar 5, 2012, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by HMPS
How does this translate to 85000 miles?

Cost ? CPM ?
The award ticket cost him 85,000 of his redeemable miles.

PS F in one direction. Domestic F in the other direction.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CONTINENTAL ONE PASS
You guys are freaking amazing!

I would like to thank all of you who responded to my question.
For you to take time out of your busy day to ponder my query is quite humbling.
I will be thinking of your kindness as i fly out of JFK this Sunday morning

BTW - I am sorry for the confusion but I used 85,000 miles to pay for this flight
Jim
Old Mar 5, 2012, 1:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, BA Gold, SQ TPP
Originally Posted by revigik
So your JFK-SFO will be United's Premium Service. First Class is almost lie flat and has from what I understand quite upgraded service from domestic first class. However, with the merger, many are complaining about First on PS losing its magic, right as Delta's Transcon Premium Product is getting quite good.
I did LAX-JFK on Delta recently and I felt their seat recline was worse than United's p.s. C, not to mention p.s. F. Was actually quite disappointed. The only impressive thing was the Delta handed out what appeared to be international ammenity kits.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 2:05 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Guys, CO F SFO-EWR will not be international product, will be domestic F. Complete waste of miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.