FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Tips for Finding Your Flight's Terminal @ EWR (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1321228-tips-finding-your-flights-terminal-ewr.html)

kwildnj Mar 5, 2012 12:48 am

Tips for Finding Your Flight's Terminal @ EWR

Updated 3/29/12

Mainline Operations
Flight Numbers 1-1999

All United Mainline Flighs will depart from Terminal C at EWR.

All Domestic United Mainline Flights will arrive in Terminal C at EWR.

International United Mainline Flights will continue to be split between Terminals B and C at EWR.

Regional Operations
Flight Numbers 3000-4999

Most United Express Flights (Operated by Colgan and CommutAir) on TurboProp Aircraft will depart from and arrive to Terminal C AT EWR.

Most United Express Flights (Operated by ExpressJet, Shuttle America, and TransStates) on Jet Aircraft will depart from and arrive toTerminal A at EWR.

International United Express Flights will arrive into Terminal B or Terminal C.

During peak times, or periods of significant delays and/or cancellations, United Express flights may arrive or depart from Terminal A and Terminal C, regardless of its origin, destination, aircraft type, or operating carrier.

JOSECONLSCREW28 Mar 5, 2012 1:02 am

Originally Posted by kwildnj (Post 18136003)
As United Mainline flights will be departing from Terminals A and C until gates get shifted around later this month (more on that in a future update), here is a not 100%, but darn close guide to finding which Terminal your flight is departing out of. Note: For arriving flights, the same specifics apply.

• If you are flying EWR to a traditional United Hub (LAX, SFO, DEN, ORD, IAD), and your flight number is three digits long (leading 0's excluded), it will depart from Terminal A.

• If you are flying EWR to a traditional United Hub, and your flight number is two digits long (leading 0's excluded), it will depart from Terminal C.

• If you are flying EWR to a traditional United Hub, and your flight number is four digits, starting with a 1, it will depart from Terminal C.

• If you are flying EWR to a traditional United Hub, and your flight number is four digits, starting with 3 or 4, you are flying on United Express, and your departing Terminal will be determined by your operating carrier.

» If your operating carrier is Colgan/CommutAir (Q200, Q300, Q400 Aircraft Type), you will depart from Terminal C.

» If your operating carrier is ExpressJet, Shuttle America, or TransStates, your flight SHOULD depart from Terminal A. However, should the inbound flight arrive requiring Customs and Immigration, or no gate be available in Termunal A, it COULD depart from Terminal C.

There are also a few international destinations served out of EWR on traditional United aircraft. They too will have a three digit flight number, and will depart from Terminal A, and arrive in Terminal B. (Terminal A does not have Customs Facilities)

Any gate from 10 to 39 (A10-A39) will be in Terminal A.

Any gate from 70-139 (C70-C139) will be in Terminal C.

I recognize that one needs an advanced degree to make heads or tails over where to find their departure Terminal, but know later this month things will shift around and improve dramatically. I have just been asked to delay that announcement until the date is firmed.

Please note, that you currently cannot check baggage in one Terminal, for a flight departing the other. You can take the land-side AirTrain between Terminal A and C, or if air-side, you can take the Inter-Terminal shuttle bus between the Terminals.

I strive to provide the most accurate and helpful information for you all, however, things can change at a moment's notice. Please check ahead if time, either by Web, Phone, or the United App for the most up-to-date gate and departure information.

Some sUA international flights depart from Terminal C. 960 to BRU and 978 to ZRH.

kwildnj Mar 5, 2012 1:08 am

Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28 (Post 18136032)
Some sUA international flights depart from Terminal C. 960 to BRU and 978 to ZRH.

I have made the correction. There are 4 flights operating from A (there are electronic signs at thr airport, which I will be back at on Wednesday) I will update further once I get those four flight numbers. (Unless someone will be there before, if so PM them to me)

TA Mar 5, 2012 2:45 am

Wow, very good info.

How do people without any such resources to read on this website find their terminal? Have the driving signages updated at all? Or are you now strongly encouraged to read your boarding pass when getting to the airport?

lensman Mar 5, 2012 6:20 pm

My amazement at the level of detailed information available here grew substantially upon reading the original post. Well done!

(where does one get information like that?!?!)

snod08 Mar 5, 2012 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by kwildnj (Post 18136003)
As United Mainline flights will be departing from Terminals A and C until gates get shifted around later this month (more on that in a future update), here is a not 100%, but darn close guide to finding which Terminal your flight is departing out of. Note: For arriving flights, the same specifics apply.

^^
Another excellent post by kwildnj.

EggSS4 Mar 5, 2012 10:44 pm

Great post, but this does leave me concerned for the leisure traveler who is just showing up at the airport without a plan. I could see many people getting off at the wrong terminal and being horribly confused; hopefully something intuitive comes up in the near future.

frankmu Mar 5, 2012 10:47 pm

Thank you! Will be at EWR in May, this thread will be very handy.

kwildnj Mar 6, 2012 12:22 am

As I said, half the problem will be cleared up by the end of the month.

However, one glaring problem will continue, with no easy solution.

About 5 years ago, when the former Continental Connection (regional Turboprops) started operating from EWR (which had no prop service prior), it was easy to differentiate between the two types of regional carrier. Continental Connection were props, left from Terminal C. Continental Express were jets, left 90% out of Terminal A.

Now, post-merger, the "Connection" name has disappeared, and both prop and jet regional flights operate as "United Express". Even worse, the two operate on a similar spectrum of flight numbers (3500-4999). 100% of props will be operating from one terminal, while 90% of regional jets will be operating out another.

What.i believe has to happen is that all turboprop service needs to be migrated to flight numbers in the 3000s, with regional jets in the 4000s, or something similar. This way permanent signage can be developed to direct passengers to the right Terminal.

Lastly, the 10% of jet regionals which currently depart from C, by virtue of their inbound flight requiring customs can wreak havok even in a seasoned traveler, such as yours truly. I checked in for a 6:00 am flight at T-24, showed a Terminal A departure. 16 hours later, before goimg to bed, said flight still showed Terminal A. Woke up, headed to airport, only for the Continental App to redirect me to Terminal C

tealeaf99 Mar 23, 2012 4:04 pm

Are the Terminal A check-in desks still open at EWR? This will be for a departure on a legacy UA EWR-SFO 6:35pm flight. Or, does UA now make you check-in at Terminal C, and then you take the airtrain over to Terminal A?

lensman Mar 23, 2012 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by tealeaf99 (Post 18259984)
Are the Terminal A check-in desks still open at EWR? This will be for a departure on a legacy UA EWR-SFO 6:35pm flight. Or, does UA now make you check-in at Terminal C, and then you take the airtrain over to Terminal A?

There are open check-in desks in Terminal A.

kwildnj Mar 23, 2012 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by tealeaf99 (Post 18259984)

As lensman said, there are still United check-in counters in Terminal A, serving the former UA flights as well as the jet-operated United Express service. You still will need to check in at the counters in your terminal of departure. This has not changed.

Also, to update my original post, it appears the anticipated rearrangement of flights has been delayed from its original plan. So, for the time being, flights are operating out if the Terminals as I described in my first post.

revigik Mar 25, 2012 7:53 am

Unconfirmed ewr ua terminal rearrangement

An agent at ewr checkin told me this morning that all ua mainline is moving to terminal c on Tuesday 3/27 and all express will use terminal a- including im guessing some of the old co connection routes that used to go from c

tincan Mar 25, 2012 8:08 am

It would make sense for mainline UA to move to Terminal C. I suspect it would only be a matter of time before that happens.

kwildnj Mar 25, 2012 9:29 am

see post #1