Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Code Share with ANZ or ANZ Code Share with United?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2016, 7:21 pm
Original Poster

I'm purchasing a ticket through my company's travel site for a business trip from RDU to MEL. I am flying economy but am Premier 1k with United. I can purchase the flight as a United ticket with the Houston to AKL to MEL leg being code share on ANZ or I can purchase it as a ANZ ticket with the RDU to Houston leg being a code share on United. Price is not a factor.

I worried about seat assignment restrictions based on which way I purchase the ticket. The ANZ Economy plus is very nice and would like to get that if possible but not sure if my United status will transfer over during seat assignment if purchased as an ANZ ticket. I have been burned by Lufthansa too many times ending up with no ability to select a seat when doing a United code share. Any recommendation?
Old Aug 10, 2016, 7:38 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by asellars
... The ANZ Economy plus is very nice and would like to get that if possible but not sure if my United status will transfer over during seat assignment if purchased as an ANZ ticket. ...
NZ does not have Economy Plus -- it does have Premium Economy, which is a different fare class / cabin and requires purchase of that fare class -- UA status or NZ status does not provide "free" access to NZ's Premium Economy.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 7:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Do you care about PQDs and points earning? Booking via a UA flight number will get you revenue-based earning while booking via the NZ codes will get you distance-based earning on the IAH-AKL-MEL segment.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
If you have GPUs and your company's travel website will book you into W or higher, why not go RDU - SFO - AKL - MEL. Just did a quick search and the timing is pretty good on the outbound (~1.5 layover at SFO and ~2.5 hours on the return). You'll be guaranteed E+ for all but the last leg and assuming the above you can try and use a GPU. Even if you can't book W or higher if you go via SFO you'll get E+ both ways which is worth it on a trip of this length.

Or alternatively RDU - XXX - LAX - MEL. That would put you on UA metal the whole way so you could also use a GPU (if feasible) or at the very least E+ the whole way.

No matter what as a 1K your best move is finding a routing that puts you on UA metal for all or most of the way (which is possible on this route since they fly LAX - MEL and you have to double connect no matter what) it's just a matter of whether that routing is available via corporate.

Last edited by Duke787; Aug 10, 2016 at 9:44 pm
Old Aug 10, 2016, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Best to avoid all codeshares. Book operating carrier flight numbers.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 10:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mduell
Best to avoid all codeshares. Book operating carrier flight numbers.
Depends on what your goals are.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
To help the OP further - UA has no restrictions on seat assignments based on codeshare or not. If you're on UA metal and have the UA PNR, you can pick a seat.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AS MVP, HH Gold, MR Gold
While 1K won't get you a seat in NZ premium economy, it might be worth checking the price. I've seen it well under a $300 premium for the TPAC RT. (I've also seen it well over $3000 premium.) YMMV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.