Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Post 3-Mar-2012:How to find upgrade inventory [+how to see fare bucket availability]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Post 3-Mar-2012:How to find upgrade inventory [+how to see fare bucket availability]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2012, 8:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Should I call to have waitlisted upgrades for "R" switched to "RN" inventory instead since I'm 1K?
Old Mar 13, 2012, 10:42 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by rch4u
Should I call to have waitlisted upgrades for "R" switched to "RN" inventory instead since I'm 1K?
From everything I've seen R and RN have been tracking each other exactly. Since it's pretty much only elites that upgrade, it probably hasn't been a big deal. I think you're fine leaving it as is.

The only difference I've seen is that XN has more seats than X as that's a reward bucket. It's like the old NY, except now platinums may partake as well.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 1:14 am

Programs: DL DM 1.77MM, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by sbm12
It is actually easier than the old site, with no special codes or settings needed in your profile to easily get access to the data. What, exactly, has been made more difficult here?
Slightly easier to track (more so if one is using the greasemonkey script)...much worse in terms of what people are now able to see, e.g. lots of R/RNs = 0...

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
"Should" for RPUs/CPUs, but plenty of evidence to the contrary that it's not seamless

NO! Hang up and call again to get a different agent. One will be able to force the UG for you.
Shouldn't GPU/RPUs clear as soon as the appropriate #N > 0? I'd be more ok with that than this current 'sweep' setup...
Old Mar 14, 2012, 6:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by astroflyer
The only difference I've seen is that XN has more seats than X as that's a reward bucket.
I saw an example of ON>O the other day, too.

Originally Posted by N515CR
...much worse in terms of what people are now able to see, e.g. lots of R/RNs = 0...
Not a function of the website. :-:
Shouldn't GPU/RPUs clear as soon as the appropriate #N > 0?
Yes.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Shouldn't GPU/RPUs clear as soon as the appropriate #N > 0? I'd be more ok with that than this current 'sweep' setup...
They should, in theory, but lots of things should work better *in theory* with this site/system. Over the past year, I've had to call in more times to force a WL'd upgrade with R space than it's happened automatically. YMMV.

If you really want to guarantee that you're aware of R space coming available and then jump on that UG, I suggest an ExpertFlyer account.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
If you really want to guarantee that you're aware of R space coming available and then jump on that UG, I suggest an ExpertFlyer account.
That's actually precisely what I just did, and it served me well here. Until the system stabilizes, it seems like a very useful tool to have. Especially if we have to manually clear ourselves off the waitlist. Little pricey for the long term though.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 7:30 pm

Programs: United 1K, Delta PLT, IHG Diamond, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National EE
PN Space on International

So, if I purchase a TATL 'B' fare do I need PN/P or RN/R space to upgrade with miles as the instrument? Thanks.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by No1racer
So, if I purchase a TATL 'B' fare do I need PN/P or RN/R space to upgrade with miles as the instrument? Thanks.
You need R/RN to upgrade into long-haul Business.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 2:01 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Fare Buckets - Where to Find now?

On the old .bomb site, if in expert mode, you were able to see fare buckets and their respective availability for each flight. I'm not seeing where to find this information on the new site...if there isn't a place for this on the new site, is there another site with this information? Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
On the old .bomb site, if in expert mode, you were able to see fare buckets and their respective availability for each flight. I'm not seeing where to find this information on the new site...if there isn't a place for this on the new site, is there another site with this information? Thanks in advance.
Hover your cursor over "Fare Class" and they pop up
Old Mar 15, 2012, 2:09 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
It's on the current UA site. Whether signed in or not, if you do a dummy or real booking, pick the flight you want to look at, scroll to the far right column and you'll see a link to "Fare class". Clicking on that, will bring up a box which will show all the available booking classes, including award and upgrade availability, and the number available from 0 to 9.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
There's also a great greasemonkey script that pops up the fare classes without clicking, and highlights the reward classes.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 3:04 pm

Difference between R/RN...Z/ZN

I was reading the post by our UA guru Smb12 ( thank you ) about finding fare classes availability, to find that a flight I was booked on for 2 has R1 and RN1.
I don't know what the difference is between R and RN, or Z and ZN.
So, I took a chance and divided the record. This morning, I got the message in our separate PNRs to contact UA because the upgrade with RPUs has cleared. I guess the computer won't clear 1R and 1RN together for 2 pax in one PNR.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 3:17 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, HH Silver, UA 1K, DL Silver
Originally Posted by AA2MM
I was reading the post by our UA guru Smb12 ( thank you ) about finding fare classes availability, to find that a flight I was booked on for 2 has R1 and RN1.
I don't know what the difference is between R and RN, or Z and ZN.
So, I took a chance and divided the record. This morning, I got the message in our separate PNRs to contact UA because the upgrade with RPUs has cleared. I guess the computer won't clear 1R and 1RN together for 2 pax in one PNR.
Indications are that R = RN. Only difference being that RN is for premiers. If you see RN as 1 and R as 1 there is one upgrade available.

Here is the FT discussion about it aptly titled Decoding the Alphabet Soup.

And here is that awesome Greasemonkey script, which has been updated for the new United site.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 3:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

See also: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...inventory.html.

While it focuses on the upgrade inventory the method works for all buckets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.