Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Post 3-Mar-2012:How to find upgrade inventory [+how to see fare bucket availability]

Post 3-Mar-2012:How to find upgrade inventory [+how to see fare bucket availability]

Old Jun 15, 2016, 9:39 pm

Programs: AA PLT, UA GLD
Originally Posted by findark
Are you viewing one or more of those lines in conjunction with other flights? Expert Mode will display numbers for the married segment itinerary if a through fare is used on more than one segment.

That's about the only way I can see F3 FN7 A3 ON6 (FN/ON are null for two cabin flights, but F and A are defined). That might also cause a misleading R count.
searching exactly same flights as one multicity trip I have (NH segment removed)
Code:
UA527  A320: F3     A3           JN3 C3 D3 Z2 ZN2 P2 PN0 R0 RN0 IN0 I0 Y9 YN9 B9 M9 E9 U9 H5 HN5 Q0 V0 W0 S0 T0 L0 K0 G0 N0 XN0 X0 
UA851  B744: F3 FN7 A3 ON6 O0 J9 JN3 C3 D3 Z2 ZN2 P2 PN0 R0 RN0 IN0 I0 Y9 YN9 B9 M9 E9 U9 H5 HN5 Q0 V0 W0 S0 T0 L0 K0 G0 N0 XN0 X0
UA33   B789:                  J9 JN9 C9 D9 Z9 ZN9 P9 PN0 R0 RN0 IN0 I0 Y9 YN9 B9 M9 E9 U9 H9 HN9 Q0 V0 W0 S0 T0 L0 K0 G0 N0 XN0 X0 
UA1730 B738: F9     A0           JN9 C9 D9 Z9 ZN9 P9 PN0 R0 RN0 IN0 I0 Y9 YN9 B9 M9 E9 U9 H9
R is all 0 throughout.

what I have when I click on upgrade reservations is in attached image.
Attached Images  
Old Jun 16, 2016, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Given your results, I am presuming you searched, as part of the multicity, IAH to PEK? This will cause Expert Mode to show the (married) inventory for UA527 X/ORD UA851 for both flights. This is related to but NOT the same as the inventory for either individual flight. Upgrades, however, should clear on a per-segment basis. I expect if you search UA851 as a separate flight (ORD to PEK), you would see R9. If you give the date I could dig more.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 11:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by findark
Given your results, I am presuming you searched, as part of the multicity, IAH to PEK? This will cause Expert Mode to show the (married) inventory for UA527 X/ORD UA851 for both flights. This is related to but NOT the same as the inventory for either individual flight. Upgrades, however, should clear on a per-segment basis. I expect if you search UA851 as a separate flight (ORD to PEK), you would see R9. If you give the date I could dig more.
You've correctly identified the issue - searching for R on a multi-segment itinerary.

It's not a
married inventory" issue though. It's a display issue. If it were a married segment issue, you would not be able to clear into R for the single segment.

(and sorry for the nit, but I'm on a crusade against over-use of the married segment nomenclature)
Old Jun 16, 2016, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Kacee
It's not a
married inventory" issue though. It's a display issue. If it were a married segment issue, you would not be able to clear into R for the single segment.

(and sorry for the nit, but I'm on a crusade against over-use of the married segment nomenclature)
For 'R' it's not a married segment issue because (as far as we can tell) R space uses per-segment inventory. But it's worth noting that the following segment combinations each produce distinct inventories:

UA527
UA841
UA527 X/ORD UA841

The third is usually similar to the intersection (minimum) of the first two, but may take adjustments in either direction at the whim of UA RM. When displaying a revenue search with a fare component applied from IAH to PEK, Expert Mode tries to build inventory for the married segments, but some fare classes aren't amenable to this.

I actually don't know what UA will do when trying to do all of the following for two or more segments:

• apply a fare component (uses married inventory)
  • apply an award fare component (uses married inventory)
  • change (reissue) one or more segments, but not the whole fare component (uses married inventory, I think?)
  • change (reissue) one or more segments on an award ticket (???)
  • SDC one or more segments, but not the whole fare component (???)
  • clear a waitlist for I/IN/O space (???)
  • clear an instant upgrade (???)
  • clear an instrument supported upgrade into R (uses per-segment inventory)

or whether the latter two behave differently into R or PN (I would hope not).
Old Jun 16, 2016, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA PLT, UA GLD
thanks all! now I understand. those upgrade classes only show the least number when multiple segments are "married". since the IAH-ORD seg has R0, it would cause the ORD-PEK show R0 also.

so I searched the individual ORD-PEK and indeed R9 is there!
F7 FN7 A6 ON6 O0 J9 JN9 C9 D9 Z9 ZN9 P9 PN9 R9 RN9 IN0 I0 Y9 YN9 B9 M9 E9 U9 H9 HN9 Q9 V9 W9 S3 T0 L0 K0 G0 N0 XN0 X0
Old Aug 11, 2016, 2:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

This browser extension has been updated to manage some of the married segment stuff better and also fix a few bugs. If you're not on v7.4.0 then you're behind.

Full details for the Expert Mode Plus update on my website.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.