Search

SDC Question

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2012, 11:35 am
In memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP - UA *G MM - HH Diamond - Hertz PC
SDC Question

Newbie question about SDCs. If you have an itinerary going from say JFK/IAD/SFO departing in the early a.m., is it possible to SDC just the second leg and take a later flight (i.e.: create a longer layover).

If this is covered elsewhere apologies in advance, I wasn't able to find it.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 11:54 am

Programs: None - previously UA
I don't see how to do a SDC on the new website, when I try to change to a later flight it wants to charge $200 more. Been on hold for 20 mins so far... I would just get in line and wait the hour or so.

One other question, I am hearing that for any SDC now you need to have your original fare still available. Was this the case for UA? wasn't it just H availabilty.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Mar 4, 2012 at 12:57 pm Reason: merge
Old Mar 4, 2012, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
The rules are under "Manage Reservations" Same Day Change.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 8:04 am

These "new rules" are a downgrade for 1k's especially if your on a cheaper fare. I was on an E fare and the agent was able to force E availability still, but if you buy a cheaper fare, the old SDC benefit for 1K's benefit is effectively gone.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 8:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
These "new rules" are a downgrade for 1k's especially if your on a cheaper fare. I was on an E fare and the agent was able to force E availability still, but if you buy a cheaper fare, the old SDC benefit for 1K's benefit is effectively gone.
Yes and no. With the old UA version you couldn't request until 3 hours out and most of the time the inventory goes wide open at 3 hours out anyways so that's basically a push. And the new policy is much broader in terms of when the upgrade can be requested.
Originally Posted by danville 1K
is it possible to SDC just the second leg and take a later flight (i.e.: create a longer layover).
Sometimes. Usually making such a change breaks the fare rules and it fails. But not always.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 7:34 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Can't do same day changes on the website????

I want to do a same day change on a flt. I am within 24 hours and have always done these online. Now I'm getting a message I have to call. Has anyone been able to do these online. I am dreading calling as I am hearing horror stories on wait times even as a 1k.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 7:37 am

It has changed as I found out even 1K's have to upfare now if your original fare class is not available.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-question.html

Last edited by escapefromphl; Mar 6, 2012 at 7:56 am
Old Mar 6, 2012, 10:01 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
It has changed as I found out even 1K's have to upfare now if your original fare class is not available.
[/URL]
True - but all fare classes release approximately 3 hours prior to the flight so if you are willing to wait until that time - you should generally be able to get a seat in your fare class (assuming the flight is not full).
Old Mar 6, 2012, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by cruisr
I want to do a same day change on a flt. I am within 24 hours and have always done these online. Now I'm getting a message I have to call. Has anyone been able to do these online. I am dreading calling as I am hearing horror stories on wait times even as a 1k.
I noticed that this happens if an agent touches my reservation (either over the phone or at the airport). Once an agent touches my reservation, I can no longer make changes on any part of that ticket (both departing and returning).

I wish they would fix it -- but I feel like they have bigger issues to fix right now.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 10:02 am

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
SDC - Waitlist Question

On the old united.com if there were no confirmed SDCs available during OLCI, I could still put myself on the waitlist/standby list to clear a SDC at the gate.

In the new system, I only see one flight that I can confirm. Is there a way to be added to the standby or waitlist for a flight that has open seats but just not in my fare category?

Can this be done by internet OLCI? By mobile OLCI? By phone agent? By airport kiosk? Only via an airport agent? I hope the answer is not "not-at-all"
Old Mar 15, 2012, 10:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, CX GR, Hilton Diamond, Global Entry
Originally Posted by seacarl
In the new system, I only see one flight that I can confirm. Is there a way to be added to the standby or waitlist for a flight that has open seats but just not in my fare category?

Can this be done by internet OLCI? By mobile OLCI? By phone agent? By airport kiosk? Only via an airport agent? I hope the answer is not "not-at-all"
No way to waitlist other than at the airport.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 10:15 am
In memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP - UA *G MM - HH Diamond - Hertz PC
Originally Posted by seacarl
On the old united.com if there were no confirmed SDCs available during OLCI, I could still put myself on the waitlist/standby list to clear a SDC at the gate.

I had a similar situation two weeks ago, and had to get it done at the airport. Only took 5 agents 45 minutes to get it done, which included three calls to tech support and a call to another off duty agent at home.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by danville 1K
I had a similar situation two weeks ago, and had to get it done at the airport. Only took 5 agents 45 minutes to get it done, which included three calls to tech support and a call to another off duty agent at home.
Ouch. I take it that means it can't be done by kiosk either?
Old Mar 17, 2012, 10:43 am

SDC Inventory Buckets

Based on yesterday's experience, I will say that UA seems to open up all the fare buckets at 3 hours before flight, at which point confirmed SDC is available, and can be done via united.com or mobile.united.com

So waitlist was not needed. I don't know whether one needs to see an agent to waitlist for a flight that has no confirmable seats, or can do at a kiosk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.