Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Mileage Between Some City Pairs is Different After System Integration-Resolved by UA.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mileage Between Some City Pairs is Different After System Integration-Resolved by UA.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2012, 11:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by UA Insider
As part of combining our two loyalty programs, we did a side-by-side comparison of the mileage calculations used by Continental and United. Of course, we found differences. Most commonly, these differences in calculations were found in locations where airports have physically moved (e.g. DEN, HKG, SIN, etc.). Other differences were found in markets where, when Continental or United added service, the mileage amount chosen was simply set to match other carriers already servicing the market as opposed to doing a new calculation.

In an effort to begin using a single source for all mileage calculations, we refreshed all of our calculation data. The source against which this new mileage is calculates is a standard Great Circle Map (GCM) table. As many of you know, there are several sources for GCM data, and, while they don’t match perfectly, they are also rarely ever off by more than a mile.
Shannon: there are multiple examples in this thread of mileage being off by a lot more than a mile, even when the airports didn't move. ORD-CDG, for example, is apparently netting 4138 miles, when http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=ord-cdg lists it at 4152. And, surely this is not one of the situations where an airport has moved; last I checked, O'Hare and Charles de Gaulle have been stationary for decades.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
well this is interesting.
Gate display tonight showed ORD-MKE as 67, BP showed it as 66...
Old Mar 7, 2012, 12:28 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
Hi Everyone, in true FlyerTalk form, your detailed thought and research on this topic are worth talking about. And as usual, we have a pretty boring explanation for what really happened.

As part of combining our two loyalty programs, we did a side-by-side comparison of the mileage calculations used by Continental and United. Of course, we found differences. Most commonly, these differences in calculations were found in locations where airports have physically moved (e.g. DEN, HKG, SIN, etc.). Other differences were found in markets where, when Continental or United added service, the mileage amount chosen was simply set to match other carriers already servicing the market as opposed to doing a new calculation.

In an effort to begin using a single source for all mileage calculations, we refreshed all of our calculation data. The source against which this new mileage is calculates is a standard Great Circle Map (GCM) table. As many of you know, there are several sources for GCM data, and, while they don’t match perfectly, they are also rarely ever off by more than a mile.

Shannon Kelly
Director, Customer Insights
United Airlines
So it is pettiness. Thanks, UAInsider for confirming that hypothesis. I think I am more disappointed by this mileage shrinkage than by any other of the new UA features that I am supposed to like. The total mileage isn't much, but there is a principle at stake here. You blew this one.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 12:36 am

Originally Posted by higgsjoa
So it is pettiness. Thanks, UAInsider for confirming that hypothesis. I think I am more disappointed by this mileage shrinkage than by any other of the new UA features that I am supposed to like. The total mileage isn't much, but there is a principle at stake here. You blew this one.
Completely agree ^. What other "nominal" changes occurred that we've yet to discover for alignment...
Old Mar 7, 2012, 12:56 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
This is a little bit bizarre. But I hope they realize that their competitors can now argue that their EQM and even RDM are now more valuable than UA's. SkyPesos included at this rate.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 2:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
This is insane. Yet another blatant cost saving measure which strikes me as nothing more than petty.

Pathetic.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 3:50 am

Programs: UA 1K, EL Al ???, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
EWR-TLV -19

NOT COOL

This is just another example of hitting the frequent travelers the hardest.

At very least mileage should not change on tickets purchased before the merge.

EWR and TLV have moved 19 miles closer together. This on one of UA's most profitable routes. None of the airports have moved.

So here are my calculations for RT loss:
38 PQM
76 Redeemable miles (100% bonus)
10 (25% chase card bonus).

I do this trip 10x per year so I am losing 380 PQM and 860 redeemable.

We can't allow this to pass quietly.

MASSIVELY NOT COOL

Last edited by ElieW; Mar 7, 2012 at 4:00 am
Old Mar 7, 2012, 5:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by dsquared37
This is insane. Yet another blatant cost saving measure which strikes me as nothing more than petty.

Pathetic.
Petty and pathetic indeed. What's next, charging for overhead storage?
Old Mar 7, 2012, 5:35 am

If this explanation is valid, then why did IAD-SAN change from 2,253 to 2,245? GCM keeps the mileage at 2,253: http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=iad-san. Explanation?
Old Mar 7, 2012, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by halls120
Petty and pathetic indeed. What's next, charging for overhead storage?
Charging for PDB since you're not in the air yet???

OK, that was facetious. Charging for a special meal... the few situations where they're still available? Not that I want to give SMI/J any ideas.

Small ball.

I will be pressing for for the mileage that was stated when my tickets were purchased.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 5:53 am

Originally Posted by dsquared37
I will be pressing for for the mileage that was stated when my tickets were purchased.
Me too. I've dug all the receipts out of my archived email folders and have already drafted the note to "Customer Care." It's almost 150 EQMs spread across my existing 5 pre-integration itineraries.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 8:03 am

any routes INcrease??

amazing that 99% of the routes magically are lower on UA than any other calculation tool or mainline carrier displays. i have only seen one example where the "recalibration" increased the mileage. the nickel and dime-ing isn't over, it has just begun. i too will be requesting through all available channels the mileage announced at ticketing... i hope they're staffing extra CS reps for the next 12 months or so

i normally would throw out here that i am ready to status-match and switch to another carrier, but just as they do with all these fare increases the other major carriers are likely to follow suit.
they can say "it's just a couple of miles here or there!" for each individual but the bottom line is it's a huge windfall for the carrier. trimming elites, giving away less "free" miles... but in the end losing immeasurable respect from their travelers.

and UA, I call BS on these "new calculations". how about some transparency, want to show us your single program that provided these revisions... or did you likely choose the lowest value for each route from all available methods?

Last edited by jnb_tx; Mar 7, 2012 at 8:14 am
Old Mar 7, 2012, 8:29 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
I appreciate UAInsiders insights but I find the rationale curious. IAD-LAX used to be 2288 award miles. It has now dropped to 2280. However, GCM would seem to indicate that it should remain 2288.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 8:29 am

Programs: MileagePlus: 1k 2012; Continental Platinum 2010-11
If there was a difference between mileage accrual for old United and old Continental customers, I could understand this change...at least the excuse for change. Any people who flew both United in the past on similar legs notice a difference in mileage accrual under the old system. Perhaps SFO-HNL or something along that nature?
Old Mar 7, 2012, 9:02 am

Programs: DL-PM | UA-1K | HH-Gold
Originally Posted by rch4u
If this explanation is valid, then why did IAD-SAN change from 2,253 to 2,245? GCM keeps the mileage at 2,253: http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=iad-san. Explanation?
Because it's complete BS. A truly laughable cost saving measure. Rather pathetic. Dishonesty does not wear well in such a customer-facing business.

Sending this thread over to the FI guy at the Chi Trib and the Travel guy at the WSJ.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.