FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   "Your reservation requires special handling. Please check in at an airport kiosk" (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1320511-your-reservation-requires-special-handling-please-check-airport-kiosk.html)

mdt76 Mar 3, 2012 8:38 am

"Your reservation requires special handling. Please check in at an airport kiosk"

Have a flight for tomorrow going to Costa Rica, and when I try to do OLCI I get a message that says:

Your reservation requires special handling. Please check in at an airport kiosk.

Am wondering if this is happening to more people, or if it's something about my profile on their new system.

Figured this might be an issue, but oh, well... Tomorrow I'll have to be patient then and go early enough to wade through "issues" at the airport.

aacharya Mar 3, 2012 8:45 am

Originally Posted by mdt76 (Post 18124754)
Have a flight for tomorrow going to Costa Rica, and when I try to do OLCI I get a message that says:

Your reservation requires special handling. Please check in at an airport kiosk.

Am wondering if this is happening to more people, or if it's something about my profile on their new system.

Figured this might be an issue, but oh, well... Tomorrow I'll have to be patient then and go early enough to wade through "issues" at the airport.

Passport?

bsmnsr Mar 3, 2012 9:13 am

It could be tied to Costa Rica visa requirements. If Costa Rica requires a visa before arrival, then UA will want to see that you've got the visa before they check you into the flight. It happens to me quite often.

I'd be surprised if it was merger related.

I'd DEFINITELY get to the airport 3 or more hours early to check in.

RobOnLI Mar 3, 2012 9:26 am

Costa Rica does not require a visa (assuming you're holding a US Passport).

Does the reservation on the new united.com say that your reservation is out of sync? If so call up and ask them to re-sync it and then you can OLCI.

-RM

Often1 Mar 3, 2012 9:32 am

What did UA say when OP called them to ask?

chasbondy Mar 3, 2012 9:45 am

Originally Posted by mdt76 (Post 18124754)

LOL. Thats a classic, brought to you by the racketeers at United. I got that message once and the counter agent comes over to assist me (I guess I looked like a moron). She said I was lucky to be checking in early to get a seat because the plane is totally full. I told her I have a ticket and an assigned so I'm not worried. She then said for just $75 I could have a seat with 5 inched more leg room. I said. I thought you told me there are no more seats???
With United, its a total atmosphere of shameful Al Capone-ish rackerteering

I had the same issue when trying to check in for my flight tomorrow to LAS so it seems to me like a tech issue rather than a visa issue

Originally Posted by RobOnLI (Post 18125063)
Costa Rica does not require a visa (assuming you're holding a US Passport).
Does the reservation on the new united.com say that your reservation is out of sync? If so call up and ask them to re-sync it and then you can OLCI.
-RM

What the hell is re-sync???? Is this another way for United to jerk us around???

danville 1K Mar 3, 2012 9:48 am

More likely related to the cut over to SHARES that took place last night.

bob_the_d Mar 3, 2012 9:50 am

it's an IT issue. i had that not too long ago with a flight from SFO-JFK even. it happens, and it's not the end of the world. just go a little early and check in. you'll live.

365RoadWarrior Mar 3, 2012 11:19 am

I got the same message. And couldn't change seat assignments on an SFO-IAD flight. (Lovely center seat, both directions.) Things worked yesterday, but it's conversion weekend.

aacharya Mar 3, 2012 11:22 am

Originally Posted by chasbondy (Post 18125207)
What the hell is re-sync???? Is this another way for United to jerk us around???

Dude, chill out.

It's nothing to do with extra legroom sales.

earendil31 Mar 3, 2012 11:26 am

Online check-in is at least mostly, if not completely, non-functional today, due to the overnight merger.

mdt76 Mar 3, 2012 11:33 am

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 18125111)
What did UA say when OP called them to ask?

To be honest, I didn't even try calling yet... as many people say it could be related to my passport needing to be scanned by the machines or something like that. But was wondering if it was something just happening on my side or also appearing across the board (sounds like it's mostly an issue on my reservation then).

Thanks,
Mike

Duke777 Mar 3, 2012 11:57 am

I think your passport needs to be scanned/checked at the airport. I had that occur when I flew on CO international for the first time in years. I called the elite desk and there was nothing they could do.

kukabear Mar 3, 2012 12:22 pm

Had the same message for ORD-LAX today- online and at kiosk. Just got BP thru agent - easy.

Often1 Mar 3, 2012 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by mdt76 (Post 18125907)
To be honest, I didn't even try calling yet... as many people say it could be related to my passport needing to be scanned by the machines or something like that. But was wondering if it was something just happening on my side or also appearing across the board (sounds like it's mostly an issue on my reservation then).

Thanks,
Mike

But, all anybody on FT can do is surmise what the reason might be. Could be anything or nothing. Clearly it bothers you enough to post on FT. Therefore, you ought to call and find out and thus clear up whatever the issue may be.