Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Upgrading an International fare paid by 3rd party

Old Mar 3, 2012, 8:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS Gold MVP; UA 1MM; Hilton Gold. Marriott Platinum

If I have another party in China purchasing a ticket for me, (to China or HKG) and they choose a lower fare class than what I need - so that I have a fare upgradeable with either miles or GPU (have to get used to this new term) is it possible to contact the 1K (or whatever their new name is) desk and cancel and apply the ticket to a higher fare class, with me paying the difference?
Or any suggestions as to how to handle this sort of booking
Old Mar 3, 2012, 8:28 pm

Programs: United 1k (finally!), Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by lhiltz
If I have another party in China purchasing a ticket for me, (to China or HKG) and they choose a lower fare class than what I need - so that I have a fare upgradeable with either miles or GPU (have to get used to this new term) is it possible to contact the 1K (or whatever their new name is) desk and cancel and apply the ticket to a higher fare class, with me paying the difference?
Or any suggestions as to how to handle this sort of booking
They can upfare you to W, but you may have to pay a change-fee (I've had some luck getting it waved on CO within the 24 hour window, but its not policy, and I believe requires supervisor approval). Make sure R space is available for business upgrades before doing it, less you risk flushing money down the drain.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS Gold MVP; UA 1MM; Hilton Gold. Marriott Platinum
Thank you for constructive advice - just what I was looking for

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.