Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

PLS --> EWR [stop ~<1 yr] --> HNL possible on UA miles?

Old Mar 3, 2012, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA GLD 1.xMM, MAR SLV, HH DMND, IHG PLT

I am wandering over from the AA forum and wondering if something along the lines of the below using UA miles.

I want to book a 1 way from PLS --> EWR w/ a stop over for almost 1 year --> HNL for 20K miles (Caribbean to Hawaii award) each award.

Dates I am looking into are:
~2/22/2013 PLS --> EWR on UA/CO metal non-stop
2/15/2014 EWR --> HNL on UA/CO metal non-stop

Travel on 2/22/2013 means I have to get seats around 3/22/2013, which is coming up soon, and the ticket is valid for travel for 1 year from date of issues which is ~ 3/21/2013.

Is there a way to change the date/add the EWR to HNL leg for travel 2/15/2014 for which seats open on ~ 3/15/2013 before the ticket expires w/o loosing the 2/22/2013 PLS to EWR segment?

UA/CO gurus please walk me through the mechanics of this process. I know I can pull this off similar (start in Central America or northern South America but not Caribbean e.g. SJO, LIM via JFK) w/ AA miles so wondering if same can be done w/ UA miles.

I need 5 economy seats and if it helps I can push the 2/22/2013 start to sometime in April 2013 (spring break instead).

Thanks in advance for all the feedback!

-miles

P.S. I will wrap up the other end of each trip on AA metal via either AA miles of BA Avios.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
No stopovers are allowed on a one-way.

And certainly not what you want to do.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Are stop overs only allowed on round trip international awards?
Old Mar 3, 2012, 3:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by miles_navigator
Are stop overs only allowed on round trip international awards?
You need to have a roundtrip award between regions. A US to Canada award, while international, does not cross region boundaries and doesn't get a stopover.

UA's award rules are different than AA's.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 3:08 pm

If using points only then you will almost certainly have to book two separate one-ways for this itinerary. The Saver Award level (lowest # of points) from EWR to HNL should cost 20K all by itself, plus whatever point level you choose for the leg from PLS.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 4:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by FlyerChrisK
You need to have a roundtrip award between regions. A US to Canada award, while international, does not cross region boundaries and doesn't get a stopover.
Actually it only needs to cross regions if one of the regions is Continental US/Alaska/Canada. For an award wholly within the Europe region, for example, a stopover and two open-jaws would be permitted.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

I am crossing regions:
start = Caribbean
end = Hawaii (not continental US/Canada)

..but I guess I need a round trip to take full advantage of this type of ticketing, eh?

Originally Posted by sbm12
Actually it only needs to cross regions if one of the regions is Continental US/Alaska/Canada. For an award wholly within the Europe region, for example, a stopover and two open-jaws would be permitted.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.