Wiki Posts
Search

Overlapping Bookings - Any Problems?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2013, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy BS, Hertz & Avis Pres
Overlapping Bookings - Any Problems?

I know this has been asked before but I have not found recent answers relating to overlapping mileage OR revenue tickets.

A friend and I are doing a Mileage run in May:

IAH-IAD-LHR-IAD-ORD-IAH (all UA metal).

Given that I live in Denver, I am inclined to either purchase a one-way IAD-DEN nonstop or ORD-DEN nonstop to make my getting home on the return a little easier and quicker (I'll be buying a revenue or mileage ticket to get to IAH at the beginning). I'm not sure if I will use miles or purchase a revenue ticket for the IAD/ORD-DEN leg.

Will United flag me if I am booked on two separate itineraries on the same day with overlapping and "conflicting" routings? That is to say, if someone looked at my MP account, they'd see a nonstop IAD/ORD-DEN at the same time as the IAD-ORD-IAH flights (the return portion of my international ticket). Aside from throwing away money (either in a leg I won't use or an award redeposit fee), is there much risk here? In some prior posts I reviewed relating to pmCO and Shares, it was asserted that when I checked in for the earlier itinerary, the "overlapped" later itinerary would be cancelled out. Is that true of the new United?

If I shouldn't book overlapping, conflicting tickets, is there any chance that I could buy an IAH-DEN ticket that creates a legal connection in IAH from my mileage run itinerary but then SDC two PNRs such that I be able to fly IAD-DEN or IAD-ORD-DEN and skip one or both connections (assuming there is fare class availability)?

Thanks much in advance for your help and thoughts.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
What you're proposing is hidden city ticketing (i.e., you are terminating your trip in a different city than what you purchased to/from) and is a violation of the contract of carriage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airline_booking_ploys
Old Jan 25, 2013, 3:53 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
If you were calling it a mileage run then why are you skipping IAD-ORD-IAH? That is a lot of miles to skip when you were actually calling it a mileage run!

You will have less chance to be detected if you don't put in your MP number in your non-MR itinerary (e.g., ORD-DEN).

Originally Posted by NgatesSEA
I know this has been asked before but I have not found recent answers relating to overlapping mileage OR revenue tickets.

A friend and I are doing a Mileage run in May:

IAH-IAD-LHR-IAD-ORD-IAH (all UA metal).

Given that I live in Denver, I am inclined to either purchase a one-way IAD-DEN nonstop or ORD-DEN nonstop to make my getting home on the return a little easier and quicker (I'll be buying a revenue or mileage ticket to get to IAH at the beginning). I'm not sure if I will use miles or purchase a revenue ticket for the IAD/ORD-DEN leg.

Will United flag me if I am booked on two separate itineraries on the same day with overlapping and "conflicting" routings? That is to say, if someone looked at my MP account, they'd see a nonstop IAD/ORD-DEN at the same time as the IAD-ORD-IAH flights (the return portion of my international ticket). Aside from throwing away money (either in a leg I won't use or an award redeposit fee), is there much risk here? In some prior posts I reviewed relating to pmCO and Shares, it was asserted that when I checked in for the earlier itinerary, the "overlapped" later itinerary would be cancelled out. Is that true of the new United?

If I shouldn't book overlapping, conflicting tickets, is there any chance that I could buy an IAH-DEN ticket that creates a legal connection in IAH from my mileage run itinerary but then SDC two PNRs such that I be able to fly IAD-DEN or IAD-ORD-DEN and skip one or both connections (assuming there is fare class availability)?

Thanks much in advance for your help and thoughts.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 4:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. If you use your MP#, the overlapping bookings will be detected.
2. If you don't use your MP#, your overlapping bookings may be detected.
3. If the system picks up the overlapping bookings, UA may call or email you to ask you to pick one or it may cancel one or both without notification.
4. If you really want to do this, don't book your last leg on UA. Book anothr carrier on another ticket. Don't do this often (meaning again in the next couple of years) because it's a violation of the COC and you are putting your status/miles at risk.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy BS, Hertz & Avis Pres
Thanks for the good feedback, all. One of the main impetuses for my wanting to do this is that the ORD layover is 4+ hours but given the feedback that you have provided, I'll just buy a DEN-IAH-DEN roundtrip around the mileage run itinerary and hope to use SDC maneuvering to shorten my layover in ORD or get a nonstop IAD-IAH (and SDC my later flight home).

Thanks again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.