Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated SFO connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dhuey
UA @ SFO uses Terminals D, E, F, G, all UA gates are connected airside

UA terminal map & SFO terminal map

United clubs locations:
E gates -- near E3
F gates -- in the F rotunda
G gates -- near G9 (former Global First Lounge)
Mezzanine -- across from E1 (between E & F concourse)

United Polaris Lounge (United/Star Alliance long-haul business class passengers only) - just past Intl G security on the right.

Arrivals -- CLOSED - was near UA Domestic baggage claim (near the Internation Terminal end escalator) on the Arrival level

AMEX Centurion Lounge -- across from Gate F1

Freshen Up! -- is an independent option for Shower facilities, nap rooms, toiletries, ironing facilities and undergarments.

MCT
UA-UA D-D is usually 30 minutes
xx-UA I-D is generally 80-105 minutes (but without Global Entry this is very tight)
UA-XX D-D is ????

Incoming International (except Canadian flights arriving as domestic flights - clearance is done in Canada) - must clear USA immigration and customs even if in-transit to a non-USA destination. Therefore also need to re-clear security if connecting.

Bags can be check at either International Check (G) or Domestic check-in (T3) for either international or domestic flights -- you may get some pushback at International check-in counters checking bags for solely domestic flights (apparently it is a bit more complex to get the bags to the domestic side)

Bag storage Open Everyday 6am – 11 pm
Before security, on the Departures/Ticketing Level of the International Terminal, near the entrance to Gates G91-G102.

Related threads
Connecting in SFO

Archived posts: Consolidated Connection time/logistics-Domestic & International at SFO [ARCHIVE]

Print Wikipost

Consolidated SFO connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2019, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, 2.3 MM
Transit Question, Int'l to domestic at SFO

I have never entered the US at SFO and was wondering if an hour and 50 minutes would be ok to go through Immigration and Customs and head to my domestic connect. All UA flights. If not enough time, what would be a suggestion. Thanks for any responses.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 8, 2019 at 12:51 pm Reason: moved to master thread
Old Jan 8, 2019, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
How easy 1h50 is will depend on the time of day, your citizenship, Global Entry/TSA PreCheck membership and airline status, but in most cases will be very doable.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 8, 2019 at 12:53 pm Reason: cleanup after merge;thanks for the link
Old Jan 8, 2019, 12:45 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Should be OK if your flights are on time. Really easy if you have Global Entry.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, 2.3 MM
Thank much, US citizen, Global Entry.

Mod, please move if needed.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 12:48 pm

Programs: United Plat
Originally Posted by ErgoTraveler
I have never entered the US at SFO and was wondering if an hour and 50 minutes would be ok to go through Immigration and Customs and head to my domestic connect. All UA flights. If not enough time, what would be a suggestion. Thanks for any responses.
It depends on:

1. If you have Global Entry to go through passport control. TSA Pre to go though domestic security again.
2. If multiple international arrivials around the same time.

I can do 30 minutes with Global Entry and my plane the only one at arrival.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
If you have Global Entry you should be fine, I assume you are connecting to UA. If you don't have GE then you MAY have problems and the lines/waits can be horrible at times.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
If you are arriving in the morning, use the PreCheck lines at INTL terminal after you have cleared customs and immigration. The line is usually much shorter than T3 (most INTL travelers don't have TSA Pre). After you have re-cleared security, you can walk airside to T3 to catch your onward domestic connection.
jonisflying likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 3:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by nomad420
If you don't have GE then you MAY have problems and the lines/waits can be horrible at times.
The lines were down the hallway for my 8:30 a.m. arrival from NRT last week.

With GE, I was through in literally two minutes.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 3:48 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
As mentioned, this should be fine with GE - in fact, if it takes you more than 15 minutes to get from the aircraft to baggage claim, I would be surprised. One thing to watch out for - I've arrived in SFO when the lines for immigration are backed up into the corridor and people who are unsure where to go just join that line - you want to make sure you bypass any long lines and follow the markings and signs for Global Entry that will hug the wall to the left.

After you claim your bags, follow the same GE signs to exit customs - don't wait in the regular lines with general passengers, there are GE priority lanes there.

After you exit, assuming you had checked bags, head left to the bag drop/re-check area then as suggested, you can choose to re-enter from the INTL checkpoint G, or I've usually had good luck with the checkpoint right where T3 and the walkway to G meet which is the closest one to the Arrivals Lounge, where I usually come up from. If you are eligible for the Polaris Lounge, use INTL G to re-enter.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 3:55 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by bocastephen
After you claim your bags, follow the same GE signs to exit customs - don't wait in the regular lines with general passengers, there are GE priority lanes there.
No longer relevant. Customs is not a separate check at SFO.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 9:38 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Kacee
No longer relevant. Customs is not a separate check at SFO.
Can you explain? I haven't been there in a few months, but I'll be there next month - how does one exit the baggage claim without interacting with Customs? Or once you clear the initial counter or GE machine, you turn in your receipt right there before going downstairs?
Old Jan 8, 2019, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Can you explain? I haven't been there in a few months, but I'll be there next month - how does one exit the baggage claim without interacting with Customs? Or once you clear the initial counter or GE machine, you turn in your receipt right there before going downstairs?
They take your form (or GE receipt) at immigration. There's no lineup for anyone after baggage claim, you just walk out. There are some agents standing around, presumably watching for suspicious passengers. Kind of makes sense, having a person there just collecting forms didn't accomplish much.
bocastephen likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 7:26 pm

Programs: AA, UA
Are these doable? I checked and these are legal, but not sure if safe.

1. SBA-SFO-MUC-TBS. 66 minutes between SBA-SFO and SFO-MUC. Last year while, connecting SBA-SFO-FRA, SBA-SFO was delayed and I was rebooked on LH SFO-FRA. But with this routing, there seems to be no other UA/LH flight after this. (5/3, 9 PM)

2. SIN-SFO-SBA (UA 28). 1 hr 25 minutes. Should be fine with GE, unless SIN-SFO is delayed. Wouldn't really mind usually, but the SFO-SBA is the last one for the day (10:45 pm).If I miss that I am stuck in SFO till 8 AM next day.

Last edited by daKav; Feb 23, 2019 at 11:09 pm
Old Feb 23, 2019, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by daKav
1. SBA-SFO-MUC-TBS. 66 minutes between SBA-SFO and SFO-MUC.
No no no! Don't do it. As you likely know, SBA-SFO is frequently delayed, with major negative consequences here.

Originally Posted by daKav
2. SIN-SFO-SBA (UA 28). 1 hr 25 minutes. Should be fine with GE, unless SIN-SFO is delayed.
Yes, I agree. The TPAC arrivals are if anything usually early.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 7:43 pm

Programs: AA, UA
Originally Posted by Kacee
No no no! Don't do it. As you likely know, SBA-SFO is frequently delayed, with major negative consequences here.

Yes, I agree. The TPAC arrivals are if anything usually early.
Thanks! Google flights shows SBA-SFO as delayed 50% of the time. Earlier SBA-SFO flights seem full. It is pricing at over $4k for the economy. Yikes. I guess I'll end up flying LAX-MUC. I was trying to avoid the 405, but alas.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.