Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated SFO connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Old Jul 30, 2016, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dhuey
UA @ SFO uses Terminals D, E, F, G, all UA gates are connected airside

UA terminal map & SFO terminal map

United clubs locations:
E gates -- near E3
F gates -- in the F rotunda
G gates -- near G9 (former Global First Lounge)
Mezzanine -- across from E1 (between E & F concourse)

United Polaris Lounge (United/Star Alliance long-haul business class passengers only) - just past Intl G security on the right.

Arrivals -- CLOSED - was near UA Domestic baggage claim (near the Internation Terminal end escalator) on the Arrival level

AMEX Centurion Lounge -- across from Gate F1

Freshen Up! -- is an independent option for Shower facilities, nap rooms, toiletries, ironing facilities and undergarments.

MCT
UA-UA D-D is usually 30 minutes
xx-UA I-D is generally 80-105 minutes (but without Global Entry this is very tight)
UA-XX D-D is ????

Incoming International (except Canadian flights arriving as domestic flights - clearance is done in Canada) - must clear USA immigration and customs even if in-transit to a non-USA destination. Therefore also need to re-clear security if connecting.

Bags can be check at either International Check (G) or Domestic check-in (T3) for either international or domestic flights -- you may get some pushback at International check-in counters checking bags for solely domestic flights (apparently it is a bit more complex to get the bags to the domestic side)

Bag storage Open Everyday 6am 11 pm
Before security, on the Departures/Ticketing Level of the International Terminal, near the entrance to Gates G91-G102.

Related threads
Connecting in SFO

Archived posts: Consolidated Connection time/logistics-Domestic & International at SFO [ARCHIVE]

Print Wikipost

Consolidated SFO connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Old Feb 23, 2019, 7:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by daKav
I guess I'll end up flying LAX-MUC. I was trying to avoid the 405, but alas.
You could fly SBA-LAX. I wouldn't do it if LA were the destination, but for a connection it may make sense. I'd still leave a good chunk of time, in case your aircraft is coming from SFO.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA, UA
Originally Posted by Kacee
You could fly SBA-LAX. I wouldn't do it if LA were the destination, but for a connection it may make sense. I'd still leave a good chunk of time, in case your aircraft is coming from SFO.
Yeah, I looked into it. The best possibly routing leaves me with 6-7 hours in LAX and wastes pretty much entire work day.

After multiple trial and errors, I can now see an earlier SBA-SFO flight that leaves me with a 3-hour connection. I'll book on that one.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 12:26 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by daKav
Yeah, I looked into it. The best possibly routing leaves me with 6-7 hours in LAX and wastes pretty much entire work day.
Originating at SFO, I've just starting booking overnights or equally long connections when I fly long-haul out of LAX. I just plan to spend the time in the lounge working remote. Realize that's not an option for everyone.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 8:36 am

What is "Express Connect"?

At this stage, my question is solely an "academic," general interest one. My transferring from international to domestic flights at SFO has been very rare in the past, and is likely to remain so in the future.

But last month, we flew AKL-SFO on NZ8 (on a UA codeshare and ticket) in J. We had an unhurried 3+ hours' connection at SFO to a UA transcon flight (with no PL or UA Arrivals lounge access, under UA policies ). During the NZ flight, the purser circulated the cabin issuing (unsolicited) paper chits that looked like this:

So here's my question. Had we had a tighter connection to make, where (and under what circumstances) might this document have been of any value to us? Does it have any practical value at all, or is it essentially PR?

Last edited by Thorgils; Mar 22, 2019 at 10:58 am
Old Mar 22, 2019, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by Thorgils
Had we had a tighter connection to make, where (and under what circumstances) might this document been of any value to us? Does it have any practical value at all, or is it essentially PR?
I'm not sure what use that would be. There's no fast track immigration at SFO. Perhaps if you were flying Y on your domestic segment it would have allowed you access to the Premier security line.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 7:57 am

Maybe related to this oneworld program?:

Express Connect - new Joint Business service for pax with tight connections
Old Mar 29, 2019, 2:27 pm

SFO connecting flight logistics (w/ Global Entry)

I'm not sure if I posted in the right forum, but I'll be traveling on UA and thought I'd post here since SFO is a hub

So, I have a connecting flight through SFO, and I set up my appointment for Global Entry at the same time, which is in the international arrivals level baggage claim. I was wondering logistically how it would work:

1) I'm going to be flying into SFO and landing in Terminal 3 via domestic UA.
2) I'll be connecting on through Intl Terminal at the G Gates.
3) I have a 6 hr layover.

What I want to do is exit security, do my interview, then go back through security.

Q #1 ) Best way to get from Terminal 3 post-security to Intl terminal baggage claim? Is it Term 3 -> connector to Intl terminal -> exit to baggage claim? If so, do I get caught up with the people that need to do customs/immigration? I've never exited an intl terminal from a domestic flight before.
-Otherwise, should I go Term 3 -> exit to Term 3 baggage claim -> walk outside(?) to Intl terminal baggage claim?

Thanks for the help everyone
Old Mar 29, 2019, 2:44 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by alsaire
I'm not sure if I posted in the right forum, but I'll be traveling on UA and thought I'd post here since SFO is a hub

So, I have a connecting flight through SFO, and I set up my appointment for Global Entry at the same time, which is in the international arrivals level baggage claim. I was wondering logistically how it would work:

1) I'm going to be flying into SFO and landing in Terminal 3 via domestic UA.
2) I'll be connecting on through Intl Terminal at the G Gates.
3) I have a 6 hr layover.

What I want to do is exit security, do my interview, then go back through security.

Q #1 ) Best way to get from Terminal 3 post-security to Intl terminal baggage claim? Is it Term 3 -> connector to Intl terminal -> exit to baggage claim? If so, do I get caught up with the people that need to do customs/immigration? I've never exited an intl terminal from a domestic flight before. ....
Arriving on a domestical flight, stay airside and head to the International Term. Just after you passed the Polaris Lounge, there is an exit (not requiring customs / immigration), then turn right and continue to the terminal entrance where there will be escalators to the level you want to be on. The CBP office is nearby -- slight to the north.

Originally Posted by alsaire
-Otherwise, should I go Term 3 -> exit to Term 3 baggage claim -> walk outside(?) to Intl terminal baggage claim?
Once in T3 baggage claim, walk toward (right) the International terminal (stay inside the building) don't go outside -- follow the signs, But this would be the second option and only if you have bags to pick.
alsaire likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 2:54 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
This won't be of use to OP who has an appointment already, but perhaps worth noting that Enrollment on Arrival is also a thing...

CBP:

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-t...lment-arrival/

FT thread:

Global Entry Enrollment on Arrival
Old Apr 17, 2019, 7:16 am

YVR to EWR, connecting in SFO. 45 min enough for connection?

Flying out of Vancouver to Newark, connecting in SFO with only 45 minutes for the connection. Seems strange for an international flight? Is customs being done in YVR?
Old Apr 17, 2019, 7:21 am

It's treated as a domestic flight, as you clear immigration and customs at YVR.

45 minutes is never a good idea at SFO, though there is lots of frequency to EWR, so a miss may not have dire consequences.
Collierkr likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 7:34 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Kacee
It's treated as a domestic flight, as you clear immigration and customs at YVR.

45 minutes is never a good idea at SFO, though there is lots of frequency to EWR, so a miss may not have dire consequences.
Absent weather delays or runway construction, sure. Given the fact that weather delays/runway construction seem to be a daily occurrence, anything mid-day typically can go either way. If your inbound flight is delayed for arrival, usually the connecting flights are going to be impacted as well (because they are coming in from somewhere else too). I usually try and leave a buffer of 1:30 at a minimum.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 7:42 am

thanks for letting me know about customs. thats good to know.

I thought about those same concerns, however I would be taking off at night in SFO (landing in EWR at 6am), so i feel like traffic would be light
Old Apr 17, 2019, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by carzaddict
I thought about those same concerns, however I would be taking off at night in SFO (landing in EWR at 6am), so i feel like traffic would be light
That doesn't really make the connection any safer, I've seen plenty of misses on the late night SFO departures to SYD and SIN, for example. So long as you're okay overnight at SFO, you probably won't have a problem getting out the next day.
SFO777 likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 9:52 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by carzaddict
thanks for letting me know about customs. thats good to know.

That flight which arrives EWR ~ 6 AM is not even the last overnight flight out of SFO (I think). If so, you'd still make it to EWR early the next morning.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.