Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Connection time/logistics-Domestic & International at SFO [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2023, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA @ SFO uses Terminals D, E, F, G, all UA gates are connected airside

UA terminal map & SFO terminal map

United clubs locations:
E gates -- near E3
F gates -- in the F rotunda
G gates -- near G9 (former Global First Lounge)
Mezzanine -- across from E1 (between E & F concourse)

United Polaris Lounge (United/Star Alliance long-haul business class passengers only) - just past Intl G security on the right.

Arrivals -- CLOSED - was near UA Domestic baggage claim (near the Internation Terminal end escalator) on the Arrival level

AMEX Centurion Lounge -- across from Gate F1

Freshen Up! -- is an independent option for Shower facilities, nap rooms, toiletries, ironing facilities and undergarments.

MCT
UA-UA D-D is usually 30 minutes
xx-UA I-D is generally 80-105 minutes (but without Global Entry this is very tight)
UA-XX D-D is ????

Incoming International (except Canadian flights arriving as domestic flights - clearance is done in Canada) - must clear USA immigration and customs even if in-transit to a non-USA destination. Therefore also need to re-clear security if connecting.

Bags can be check at either International Check (G) or Domestic check-in (T3) for either international or domestic flights -- you may get some pushback at International check-in counters checking bags for solely domestic flights (apparently it is a bit more complex to get the bags to the domestic side)

Bag storage Open Everyday 6am – 11 pm
Before security, on the Departures/Ticketing Level of the International Terminal, near the entrance to Gates G91-G102.

Related threads
Connecting in SFO
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Connection time/logistics-Domestic & International at SFO [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2017, 4:49 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Getting ready to book a EWR-SMF flight - need to depart after work. Has anyone had any experience with this 30 minute connection (from P.S. to a CRJ200) in 30 minutes?
Attached Images  
Old May 24, 2017, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tarheelnj
Getting ready to book a EWR-SMF flight - need to depart after work. Has anyone had any experience with this 30 minute connection (from P.S. to a CRJ200) in 30 minutes?
That question has less to do with SFO logistics and more to do with overnight options if you're delayed EWR-SFO in any way.
Old May 24, 2017, 5:06 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Is that the last flight of the day, SFO-SMF? You are running a bit of a risk here.
Old May 24, 2017, 5:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by fumje
That question has less to do with SFO logistics and more to do with overnight options if you're delayed EWR-SFO in any way.
Not to mention one of the more frequently canceled routes (SFO-SMF) in the UA system.
Old May 24, 2017, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Not to mention one of the more frequently canceled routes (SFO-SMF) in the UA system.
Not looking too good. The first flight the next morning gets in 8:14am, still in time for my meetings - hopefully worst case. Unfortunately I can't leave EWR any earlier. I might be able to do the 6:00pm through LAX with a 90 min connection.
Old May 24, 2017, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not looking too good. The first flight the next morning gets in 8:14am, still in time for my meetings - hopefully worst case. Unfortunately I can't leave EWR any earlier. I might be able to do the 6:00pm through LAX with a 90 min connection.
I would book the 6p LAX flight, and—if I missed it due to other schedule constraints in NY—push to be 'flat-tire' re-booked on the SFO-connection flight you're considering.
Old May 24, 2017, 5:54 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Or rent a car and drive. It's 90 minutes from SFO to Sacramento so long as you avoid commute traffic (i.e., don't leave SF between 2 pm and 7 pm)
Old May 24, 2017, 7:14 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
For a while the UA app has been showing "At the request of the San Francisco Airport Authority, the map of SFO has been removed.".

I remember it worked about a year ago...

// Edit: and when I zoom in, the message box disappears and I can still see the terminal outline (including gate numbers), but not the more detailed information it used to have.
Old May 24, 2017, 9:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
Originally Posted by Kacee
Or rent a car and drive. It's 90 minutes from SFO to Sacramento so long as you avoid commute traffic (i.e., don't leave SF between 2 pm and 7 pm)
Agree. I might be in the minority here but a fair few PS get quite badly delayed -- an hour of bad WX at EWR is all you need to hose both the SFO and the LAX connections. SFO is the kind of place I'd be comfortable with a 30m cnx if the inbound gets in on time, and worst case you can drive, whereas out of LAX you're toast till the morning.
Old May 25, 2017, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by sfo789
Agree. I might be in the minority here but a fair few PS get quite badly delayed -- an hour of bad WX at EWR is all you need to hose both the SFO and the LAX connections. SFO is the kind of place I'd be comfortable with a 30m cnx if the inbound gets in on time, and worst case you can drive, whereas out of LAX you're toast till the morning.
That's the plan then, particularly since I won't get to EWR until 5:30pm, so taking the 6:00pm LAX flight would be pushing it anyway. I'll book the 30 min connect through SFO hoping we get in early, and if I miss the connection, I'll just rent a car and drive (after making sure UA knows I'm skipping the SFO-SMF leg). Checked yesterday's flights, and the 6:30pm EWR-SFO flight arrived 23 minutes late, but the SFO-SMF flight departed 20 minutes late, so I probably would have made it.

Thanks for the advice.
Old May 25, 2017, 8:26 am

That's the plan then, particularly since I won't get to EWR until 5:30pm, so taking the 6:00pm LAX flight would be pushing it anyway. I'll book the 30 min connect through SFO hoping we get in early, and if I miss the connection, I'll just rent a car and drive (after making sure UA knows I'm skipping the SFO-SMF leg).
That's the best plan. Drive to Sac will be very easy at that hour.

Suggest you book this itinerary as two one-ways so your return isn't affected if you drop the SFO-SMF segment.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 5:18 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Is there an airside storage locker at SFO in either the international or domestic UA terminals?
Old Jun 3, 2017, 8:36 am

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
http://www.airporttravelagency.org/
Old Jun 3, 2017, 12:20 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by SFO 1K
http://www.airporttravelagency.org/
They're based landside though.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by televisor
They're based landside though.
Fair point, my bad.

Still, extremely convenient. Unless one doesn't have some type of expedited security - PreCheck, Clear, the queues aren't bad at Int'l G and sometimes have no one at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.