Wiki Posts
Search

Targeted match/bonus miles offer

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2015, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Targeted match/bonus miles offer

Mods: haven't seen this anywhere else, but please move if I missed it.

Received an email today from Mileage Plus that at first I thought was ridiculously misdirected, but after reading it, I think it may be worthwhile.

The header read "A United flight offer you should not pass up" and the text is:

Experience United’s new enhancements and bring home the reward that’s right for you.

See for yourself the enhancements we've made to our mobile app, inflight Wi-Fi, entertainment options and onboard dining selection – experience all this while earning greater rewards.

For a limited time we are offering top-tier flyers of other airlines a comparable status in the United MileagePlus® program, plus a bonus of 25,000 award miles when you meet flight requirements within 90 days. Or you can choose to earn up to 6,000 bonus award miles for each segment flown during the promotion period for up to 50,000 award miles.

To take advantage of this offer, first register and choose your bonus by January 31, 2016. Then book your travel and fly between November 1, 2015, and February 29, 2016.

At first, I thought how ridiculous that they're sending a status match to someone who just hit Plat. and will hit 1K before EOY. But the second part of the offer - bonus RDM for flight segments - is not limited to status matching flights, so I signed up.

Unfortunately, the ticketing period is 10/26/15 to 2/29/16 & I just booked my travel for the balance of the year last week - meaning I'll miss out on about 15,000 miles.

Details of the bonus miles offer:

Bonus award miles for each segment flown

Register, book your flights and fly in United® premium cabin or select United Economy®.

Fly qualifying segments in our premium cabins and earn:

■ 6,000 bonus miles on longer segments*

■ 3,000 bonus miles on shorter segments*

Fly qualifying segments in our economy fare classes and earn:

■ 3,000 bonus miles on longer segments

■ 1,000 bonus miles on shorter segments

[longer segments = 3000 miles or more]
Old Oct 27, 2015, 10:15 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist
I got this too, and I'm on the other end of the spectrum...I am MP Gold, and will probably not reach that this year due to illness and other factors. I don't have comparable status on another airline. So my question is: can I "match" my current MP Gold status to get the status match opportunity to keep it for another year? I"m guessing the answer is no, but if anyone has some insight before I call I'd appreciate it.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 10:20 am

Programs: None - previously UA
TB8230

I received this as well, but I've been flying Southwest mostly though and they are looking for Delta and AA flyers to match. So I registered but don't have credentials to submit. They are also only offering matches up to Plat which doesn't really interest me that much.

Last edited by escapefromphl; Oct 27, 2015 at 10:26 am
Old Oct 27, 2015, 11:24 am

Status match

I got the same email too and since I'm currently only AA gold and already UA silver I chose the bonus miles. I should be hitting UA gold after next weeks flight anyways.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 11:50 am

Is re-ticketing possible

Originally Posted by greenskin

Unfortunately, the ticketing period is 10/26/15 to 2/29/16 & I just booked my travel for the balance of the year last week - meaning I'll miss out on about 15,000 miles.
Is there any way to get a reservation re-ticketed for free? I'm in the same boat with int'l biz travel coming up. Would be missing out on 24k bonus miles
Old Oct 27, 2015, 12:53 pm

What about PQD?

If you fly the required legs and score enough PQM, does that absolve you from achieving the PQD (for a potential status match)?

If I am Platinum in 2015 (and EXP with AA) but am way short of PQD for Platinum in 2016, will achieving the PQM in 90 days waive the PQD requirement.

PS. Methinks SMI/J's plan to devalue MP is biting them big time...
Old Oct 27, 2015, 2:01 pm

I received one of these this morning as well.

This is the first time since 3/12 that I have received ANY COMMUNICATION at all from MP besides useless offers to buy crap I don't need from partners or useless offers to buy more miles that I can't use.

I think the significance of this mailing cannot be underestimated. It would seem to indicate a drastic change in behavior and strategy. One that aligns more closely with the behavior of the United Airlines, Inc. before it was taken over by Continental Airlines and renamed United Continental Holdings. It seems unlikely to be a coincidence that this is happening just a few months after Smisek is gone.

The moment Smisek arrives on the scene, all offers and communications from MP besides the aforementioned junk cease. The moment he leaves, I start getting real offers that speak to a real relationship that have the feeling of the old communications.

Makes me wonder what the back-story is here. There's got to be one.

The status match is of no use to me because I have become a Kayaker and have not generated status on any airline.

The bonus miles are miles only and do not count toward status, so it's not a very generous offer, not like the old days when we had promotions towards qualifying miles.

My offer was same as OP.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA-Gold; 1MM
May be ongoing event

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/app...s/airline.aspx

The bonus seems to be in addition to the ongoing status match

Last edited by JubJub; Oct 27, 2015 at 3:33 pm Reason: Making it more accurate
Old Oct 27, 2015, 6:21 pm

Programs: UA-1K, United Club Member, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska-MVP
Link?

Could you post a link to the offer, or the promotion code for this? It's always worth a try for those who were not emailed!
Old Oct 27, 2015, 7:31 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by brando09
Could you post a link to the offer, or the promotion code for this? It's always worth a try for those who were not emailed!
TB8230
Old Oct 27, 2015, 7:33 pm

Programs: AS MVP; UA Silver; HHonors Silver; HyattGP Platinum; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by brando09
+1

I've had good luck with codes from fellow FT'ers that I was never e-mailed.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 8:03 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
TB8230
that code pulls up the ongoing status match (found via google search). This offer is different per the OP, it offers status match PLUS 25,000 RDM, or 50,000 RDM (without match).

Its a different animal, and like Mitch, I would not understate the importance of this. I've not gotten it, but if Mitch did, perhaps it is what I (and others) have talked about, which is doing an honest to god outreach out to former UA elites, offering them something to come back.

I don't think UA is anywhere near where it needs to be to compete again for the business it has lost, but its interesting they are at least trying (and offering 25,000 RDM as a bonus).
Old Oct 27, 2015, 8:18 pm

Programs: United Silver
Not eligible.. Could have really used those extra miles.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I'm eligible, and would have done it. But UA is only seasonal here, and it isn't worth the 2 hour drive to PWM, especially during the winter, to get status. Oh well. :/
Old Nov 2, 2015, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Email: Status Match or Bonus Miles - the choice is yours

Just received this today. Did anyone else? Apologize if it's already posted. Did a search and didn't find anything. I was 1K for 5-6 years and left UA mid-2012 after the merger and have flown about 2 segments since.

Here's the gist of the email:

Rewards are not one size fits all – for that reason we're giving you the opportunity to choose what works best for you.

We are offering top-tier flyers of other airlines a comparable status in the United MileagePlus® program, plus a bonus of 10,000 award miles when you meet flight requirements within 90 days. Or you can choose to earn up to 3,000 bonus award miles for each segment flown during the promotion period for up to 50,000 award miles.

To take advantage of this opportunity first register and choose your bonus by December 31, 2015. Then book your travel by February 29, 2016, and fly between November 1, 2015, and February 29, 2016.

Premier status match + 10,000 bonus miles

Register, choose your offer and submit your current elite credentials from an eligible airline.

Once approved, enjoy your new Premier® status for 90 days.

Fly during the trial period and earn 10,000 bonus award miles. Plus keep your status through January 31, 2017.

OR -

Bonus award miles for each segment flown

Register, book your flights and fly in United® premium cabin or select United Economy® during the offer period.

Fly qualifying segments in our premium cabins and earn:

3,000 bonus miles on longer segments*

1,500 bonus miles on shorter segments*

Fly qualifying segments in our economy fare classes and earn:

1,500 bonus miles on longer segments

500 bonus miles on shorter segments

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.