Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus Gift Card Exchange - turning old gift cards into MP miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MileagePlus Gift Card Exchange - turning old gift cards into MP miles

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2012, 7:11 am

Programs: Any and All
I only looked at this for a few minutes (I received the e-mail too), and I couldn't figure out what "40% more" means.

Do we have any examples of how many miles you can get for a card? It's through PlasticJungle so I'm assuming they're offering a discounted rate... Probably not too worthwhile. Most people would rather have the cash I'm assuming.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 7:26 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by MilesDavis11
I only looked at this for a few minutes (I received the e-mail too), and I couldn't figure out what "40% more" means.

Do we have any examples of how many miles you can get for a card? It's through PlasticJungle so I'm assuming they're offering a discounted rate... Probably not too worthwhile. Most people would rather have the cash I'm assuming.
https://secure.unitedmileageplus.com...gcWelcome.html

Click on: How many award miles will I receive

$25 card = 940 miles
$50 = 1870
$100 = 3730

That includes the bonus it says.

So a terrible conversion rate.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 7:20 pm

Programs: National EE, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
sounds like a lot of effort for a few miles, but each to their own.
This was just a test. If the points post, which they still haven't by the way, I will purchase 10 $300.00 gift cards the next time Sears goes 10pts/$. I'll then take the cards to one of the online buyers and make 90% of my purchase back and earn 30,000 points; seems worthwhile to me.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 4:15 pm

UA 40% Bonus Miles for Liquidating Gift Cards

^
Heck, yes it does!
Old Sep 24, 2012, 4:43 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by JaysonW
This was just a test. If the points post, which they still haven't by the way, I will purchase 10 $300.00 gift cards the next time Sears goes 10pts/$. I'll then take the cards to one of the online buyers and make 90% of my purchase back and earn 30,000 points; seems worthwhile to me.
You will still have spent $300 plus a few hours of effort for 30K points, I guess it depends what you value your time at. There is also the added hassle if the points don't post etc.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 5:31 pm

UA 40% Bonus Miles for Liquidating Gift Cards

Also depends on what he values/uses his miles at/for. I'm sure it's not taking him much time and that he is able to multitask. Or it's a hobby with some benefit. You don't get paid to post on this board do you?
Old Oct 2, 2012, 11:08 am

Programs: UAL, HHonors, Amtrak
MileagePlus® Gift Card Exchange

So; $0.026 per mile?

Right now on UAL: $0.035
Miles cost $35 per 1,000 miles plus a 7.5% excise tax

I guess it is terrible unless if you have unused cards laying around. I wonder just what the fine print, *Minimum Award Miles Awarded* means? Does that mean that with some UAL partner vendors the exchange rate may be better?

I think I have some old BestBuy/Walmart cards with <$5 on that I'll experiment with.

Is those rates go a bit better than the chart level Minimums, I wonder if somewhere out there some one can find a solution for this; lots of national vendors sometimes have Holiday specials for discounts on purchasing $100 gift cards for 10-25% off. The right combo could turn this into a decent deal.

If anyone has done this please post your response!
Old Oct 2, 2012, 11:10 am

Programs: UAL, HHonors, Amtrak
FAQs $25 minimum

MileagePlus Gift Card Exchange FAQs
I don't see my miles. Whom can I contact?

It takes up to five business days for the cards to be verified and the award miles to be deposited into your account. If you don't see the miles after five business days, please email [email protected].
What gift cards do you accept?

Here's the list of cards we accept: view list. However, please note we do not accept merchandise credits, cards with a balance less than $25, or cards with expiration dates.
Do you accept partially used cards or uneven balances?

Yes, as long as the balance remaining on the gift card is $25 or more.
Can I combine gift cards to reach the $25 minimum?

No, unfortunately our system doesn't accommodate the exchange of any single card with a value less than $25.
Do I need to mail in my gift card?

No, you don't need to mail in your card. Once you see that your miles have been deposited into your MileagePlus® account, the gift card is no longer valid.
Can I exchange more than one gift card?

Yes, you can exchange more than one gift card. To trade in more than one, click the "Add another gift card" link.
When will I see the award miles in my account?

We'll validate the remaining balance on all gift cards you've exchanged, and you should see the award miles in your account in about five days.
What do you mean there is no balance on my card(s)?

Before the miles are posted to your account, we reverify the balance with the retailer. At the time of verification, there was no balance on the card for us to convert to miles.
I'm going to travel tomorrow; can I get my miles sooner?

Unfortunately, no. Due to the verification process and posting of miles, it is not possible to speed up the request.
Can I get better rates/miles for my cards or is it the same for all gift cards?

Our rates are determined by market pricing, which is affected by several factors. In order to find the rate for your card, please enter your gift card information to receive an offer. You are under no obligation to sell your card, and we will not retain your gift card information if you do not confirm your sale. Please note that the mileage offer you see displayed for the same gift card of the same value may change from time to time.
I see fewer miles in my account than what you offered.

This could happen because the balance of the card decreased from the time we made the offer. If you believe this was in error, please contact [email protected].
Where do I see my miles posted?

Please log in to your MileagePlus account on united.com.
I changed my mind. How do I get my card back?

We're sorry; once you've accepted the offer, the sale is final.
How many miles do I get for my card?

In order to find the miles for your card, please go to ualmiles.com/mpgiftcardexchange. Enter your gift card information to receive an offer. You are under no obligation to sell your card, and we will not retain your gift card information if you do not confirm your sale. Please note that the mileage offer you see displayed for the same gift card of the same value may change from time to time.
Do you accept merchandise credits?

At this time we do not accept merchandise credits.
Do you accept cards with expiration dates?

No, unfortunately, we cannot accept gift cards that have an expiration date.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 12:37 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by leftistrevolution
So; $0.026 per mile?

Right now on UAL: $0.035
Miles cost $35 per 1,000 miles plus a 7.5% excise tax
Actually with Awards Accelerator the rates are between 2 to 3 cmp for RDMs and no transaction fee, so 2.6 cpm is not the best available.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...tor-rates.html
Old Oct 2, 2012, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
I did a gift card trade today, and the miles posted in 2 hours, not 5 days.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 1:23 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
I did my $50 Nike code from My Coke Rewards (1000 miles last Nov.) yesterday & got my 1870 UA miles today.
I don't find the 2.6c rate terrible--just mediocre. The normal rate of 1350 for a $50 GC is poor. Many rates on points.com-- now you're talking terrible! This an OK way to get rid of unwanted or useless GCs, esp. my Nike, which the main PlasticJungle.com would not buy for $39 cash this Sep. because it wasn't a physical card.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 1:29 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Please see everyone's (incl. my) posts on this other thread on the same topic:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ift-cards.html
Maybe the mods should merge these 2 threads.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 5:45 am
Formerly known as MLW20

Programs: AA LT GOLD, Delta, UA/Continental & many others
Exchange Gift Cards for United Miles + 40% Bonus

I am guessing that we've all received gift cards for stores that we do not shop at and would love a way to get rid of them.

There are sites that you can sell the gift cards to (ex.Plastic Jungle) that pay you a percentage of their value. From what I could tell, Plastic Jungle pays back 75% + of face value on your gift cards.

Another option is to exchange your unused gift cards for airline miles.

By using the United MileagePlus Gift Card Exchange you can turn your gift cards into miles.
I received an e-mail last night from United about a bonus offer for the GC exchange.
For a limited time you can earn 40% more award miles when you exchange your gift cards.

Some of the Rules:

Must be a US resident to participate
Your MileagePlus account has to open for at least 30 days and have a positive account balance
Gift cards must have at least $25 balance to do the exchange
You'll see the number of miles you will receive for your gift cards before deciding to exchange them.
You don't need to mail in your gift cards. The exchange will be done electronically.
All gift card exchanges are final

How to exchange the gift cards:

Select the merchant for the gift card you are looking to sell (over 100 to choose from)
Enter your gift card info and they will convert the value into award miles
Receive your miles within 5 business days

Examples of minimum award miles you could earn:

$25 gift card= 940 miles
$50 gift card= 1,870 miles
$100 gift card= 3,730 miles

*The estimated miles earned include the limited time bonus.

In my opinion, exchanging your gift cards for miles is more or less another way of buying miles.
I'm not really interested in buying miles and never have done so. However, if you have gift cards collecting dust this might not be a bad way to get a decent return for them.

To exchange your unwanted gift cards for United miles Click HERE
Old Feb 25, 2013, 6:21 pm

MP gift card trade-in

Received an email about trading in of gift cards from MP today.

Based on what I found, $50 gift card can yield 1670 miles (incl ongoing 25% bonus)... that works out to be about 3.0 cpm which I thought was a pretty good deal.

Link: http://ualmiles.com/mpgiftcardexchange
Old Jun 20, 2013, 6:25 am

Programs: United Platinum
New Offer: For a limited time, earn 35% bonus miles when you exchange them for Mileag

https://www.plasticjungle.com/united...ange/gcWelcome

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.