Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Traveling with Pets on UA (In-Cabin or Cargo -- not ESA) {Archive}

Traveling with Pets on UA (In-Cabin or Cargo -- not ESA) {Archive}

Old Jun 2, 2017, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, WN A+, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Tit, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sammyindc
Just experienced traveling with our dog for the first time and it was surprisingly a breeze. We just adopted a pet 2 weeks ago and had a pre-planned weekend trip to LA from Florida. Couldn't cancel the trip and didn't want to leave our dog (Shih Tau, 11 pounds) with friends and or a doggie hotel (he was just abandoned) so we decided to take him with us.

Bought a dog carrier (I won't get into the service animal lie game), practiced with him for a few days before the flight so he wouldn't feel scared or anxious, paid the $125 fee and took him with us in F on the 5 hour flight. He didn't make a noise, he sat and slept in his carrier the entire flight, no barking and no whining. He had a blast in LA and spent the entire flight home sleeping in his carrier.
^ We did the same with our young dog on a transcon in F in a carrier under the seat. The flight attendants didn't even know we had a dog because he was so quiet. We had no issue paying the $125 and keeping him in his carrier. He traveled better than most passengers!
Old Jun 4, 2017, 5:55 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by geo979
How do you post a picture on here? ....
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/techn...hoto-post.html
Old Jun 4, 2017, 6:35 pm

Programs: None anymore
Most of the stories in here are about dogs in the cabin, what about in the hold? I have a ~20lb corgi who will have to fly with me in a year or two when I eventually move back to the states - poor girl will have to endure a 10 hour flight - and in the hold because at 20lbs she's too big for the cabin.

Anybody have any experience with this?
Old Jun 5, 2017, 3:28 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
And this is the risk of "emotional support" animals on planes:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news...cid=spartanntp
Old Jun 5, 2017, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K 24 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
One bad apple doesn't represent all.
But this will make for great negativity from people who have a preconceived point of view on the subject.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by SFO 1K
But this will make for great negativity from people who have a preconceived point of view on the subject.
Should we wait for another attack? Or should we fix what's broken? My words not yours.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SFO 1K
True. But try taking a box cutter in your carry-on bag next flight.

Originally Posted by The Article
Another passenger told Fox 5 that the crew saw the dog's owner crying after the incident fearing that the dog would be put down as a result.
If something similar happens to me on a plane, I can guarantee that the dog owner will not have to worry about the dog being "put down" later. I promise to put any dog that deigns to bite me out of his/her misery on the spot.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by kale73
True. But try taking a box cutter in your carry-on bag next flight.

If something similar happens to me on a plane, I can guarantee that the dog owner will not have to worry about the dog being "put down" later. I promise to put any dog that deigns to bite me out of his/her misery on the spot.
Big words. Can you do it?
Old Jun 11, 2017, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by warrenw
Most of the stories in here are about dogs in the cabin, what about in the hold? I have a ~20lb corgi who will have to fly with me in a year or two when I eventually move back to the states - poor girl will have to endure a 10 hour flight - and in the hold because at 20lbs she's too big for the cabin.

I flew PHL-DEN today and this dog was with its owner in 1A. Way over 20lbs and didnt have any type of support animal vest on. The young lady traveling with it told the guy in 1B "Dont worry she's a sweetheart but she's scared of being in a crate".

Old Jun 11, 2017, 4:35 pm

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
And this is the risk of "emotional support" animals on planes:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news...cid=spartanntp
28 stitches. To the face. Wow.

I would hope that whoever certified this animal as an "emotional support animal" gets the pants sued off them. Maybe this will put out of business the outfits that will "certify any animal for $49.95! But wait...there's more!"
Old Jun 11, 2017, 5:40 pm

Programs: Continental OnePass Platinum
Originally Posted by warrenw

There are all sorts of stories and opinions regarding United's PetSafe (and Continental's PetSafe before that). Some people will insist that even the shortest flight is cruel and dangerous for the animal and should be avoided at all costs. Few are open to changing their opinions regarding the cruelty, as most people already have strongly-held beliefs on this (I don't feel it is more stressful than being taken to a vet and left overnight for observation, which is plenty stressful, but not IMO cruel). As far as PetSafe, I have flown two different cats this way half a dozen times and have always been very impressed with the program. I think United does a great job. There have been some worrying incidents reported, but I have always been happy.
(Caveat: sounds like you will be flying internationally. This may be very different.)
​​​
Old Aug 29, 2017, 9:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MM
In-cabin pet carrier as additional item?

At the end of this week, Mrs Lancelot and I are flying to Europe with two in-cabin pets. Every discussion I've seen online suggests that a pet carrier counts as one of your two pieces (i.e., a bag plus personal item). But United's website says:
You're also allowed to bring the following items on board, in addition to your one bag and one personal item limit:
  • Jacket or umbrella
  • Reading material
  • Food or merchandise purchased in the airport
  • Assistive devices (collapsible wheelchair, cane, one set of crutches, medical devices needed to administer prescription medications, portable oxygen concentrator, etc.)
  • FAA-approved child restraint system or safety seat
  • Diaper bag
  • Breast pump
  • Pet carrier (service charges apply for in-cabin pets)
Is this a policy change? A website mistake? Has anyone successfully brought a bag plus a personal item plus a pet carrier through TSA and on board?

It would help enormously to be able to have one additional carry-on, but I don't want to get stuck at TSA or someplace.

I'd note, if it matters, that we've paid for the seat between us as an "extra seat," though the United's website claims we don't get extra carry-on.

(Sorry if this is dealt with elsewhere. I find lots of discussion of how it's one of our items but I couldn't find anything addressing the language on United's website.)
Old Aug 29, 2017, 9:33 pm

Programs: Hertz PC
TSA won't care. Not sure how airline handles a pet taxi (depending on size) If you can stack two in your extra seat or they will make you buy a second extra seat.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 9:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by bhunt
If you can stack two in your extra seat
Absolutely not. That would be an FAA violation. It must fit under the seat.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 10:30 pm

Programs: None anymore
Originally Posted by cjermain

There are all sorts of stories and opinions regarding United's PetSafe (and Continental's PetSafe before that). Some people will insist that even the shortest flight is cruel and dangerous for the animal and should be avoided at all costs. Few are open to changing their opinions regarding the cruelty, as most people already have strongly-held beliefs on this (I don't feel it is more stressful than being taken to a vet and left overnight for observation, which is plenty stressful, but not IMO cruel). As far as PetSafe, I have flown two different cats this way half a dozen times and have always been very impressed with the program. I think United does a great job. There have been some worrying incidents reported, but I have always been happy.
(Caveat: sounds like you will be flying internationally. This may be very different.)
​​​
Believe me, I'd avoid it if I could. But I'll be moving permanently and I'm not about to give me dog up for adoption or something like that, so flying is really the only option...

I recently found that UA won't allow pets on a flight where the total time in transit is over 12 hours. This includes the 2ish hours they have to be in the crate before the flight takes off. That disqualifies me from flying UA from ICN-SFO. I'll probably be flying Asiana instead, eventually.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.