Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"TravelBank"- United.com Club & Gift Registry Q&A - No new/renewals as of 23 Apr 2019

Old Feb 8, 2016, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Newest Travel Bank program
New UA "Travel Bank" option -- deposit funds and get a bonus

{UA} weve decided to discontinue the program as of April 23, 2019.
In particular, the united.com Club
united.com Club

As we keep evolving the digital experience for our travelers, weve decided to discontinue the united.com Club. If youre a current member, there are a few things we hope you keep in mind.

Although youll no longer be able to renew your membership, youll continue to receive the benefits of the united.com Club until your current membership period expires. If you booked any trips before the end of your current membership, well credit any united.com Club benefits to your TravelBank after youve completed your trip.

For more questions about the program, call us at 1-800-UNITED-1.

Check your TravelBank balance

See full united.com Club terms and conditions
For those wondering when their united,com membership expires

Go to your account details and where you see
Travel Bank
$xx.xx
Exp. mm/dd/yyyy followed by a "?" in a circle

The visible Expiration is the Balance expiration date

Click on the "?" in a circle and you get a pop-up that includes a different date
"The united.com Club Membership
Exp: MM/DD/YYYY"

Recent activity, including subscription renewals, can be found in the same location by "View details"

United.com club

T&Cs

TravelBank Terms and Conditions

Key limitation -- only for UA/UX operated flights. Tickets with partner flights are not eligible for the use of Travel Bank funds.

Customer Support / missing credits contact: [email protected]
Also [email protected] which is web support.
Direct dial to web/.com support: (800) 396-1751
Note -- you will never get an email response but the credit, if deemed valid, should show-up in a week.
Originally Posted by 1KChinito
In your email, include:
  • MP account number and name
  • Traveler(s) name, number of traveler if applicable
  • Member's united.com Club enrollment date; since XX/XX/XXXX valid through XX/XX/XXXX
  • Reservation confirmation number (PNR locator)
  • Flight number, origin/destination, and travel date
5 April 2018 -- UA started posting an "expiration date", appears to be at least 18 months after most recent activity (some are longer for unknown reasons)
also states
Some of your UnitedTravelBank Cash may expire on a different date than whats displayed here. Please check your balance details for a complete history of your UnitedTravelBank Cash transactions and the expiration date for each amount.
Expiration had previously been in the T&Cs for some time (2 years of inactivity? but now is 18 months) and had stated an ETC would be issued if the funds did timeout. Unclear if that still applies.

The Gift Registry has been disabled since Fall 2017 (Sept?) (appears this may be related to a tax issue?)
As of 5 May 2018, it still states
We're sorry, our gift registry page is currently unavailable for maintenance. You can still use the funds from your gift registry to book travel during this time, but you will not be able to receive contributions or update your registry details. We expect the page to be up and running again in early 2018.
Around Sept 2018, wording changed to
We're sorry, our gift registry page is currently unavailable for maintenance. You can still use the funds from your gift registry to book travel during this time, but you will not be able to receive contributions or update your registry details.
To add funds: https://www.united.com/offers/travelcash

Print Wikipost

"TravelBank"- United.com Club & Gift Registry Q&A - No new/renewals as of 23 Apr 2019

Old Sep 20, 2017, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I sent a note to 1kvoice asking about this. I'll pst here when I get a reply.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 5:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
My account is up for renewal in 30days. Does it matter if I renew now vs wait 29 days?
Old Sep 21, 2017, 6:02 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by eng3
My account is up for renewal in 30days. Does it matter if I renew now vs wait 29 days?
not really -- the renewal adds to the end of the present subscription. Doing now avoids missing the renewal but gives UA a "loan" for a few days.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 10:03 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by porciuscato
For the last two weeks I've been getting this message on my Account page:

Is this specific to me or are other people seeing this too?
I emailed GS about it yesterday, over 2 weeks is becoming quite an inconvenience.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 5:27 am
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
I emailed GS about it yesterday, over 2 weeks is becoming quite an inconvenience.
My TravelBank is still updating correctly though with my flights over the past 2 weeks. Are you having issues with that? I also have the error message it just doesn't seem to be impacting anything.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 5:36 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by LIH
My TravelBank is still updating correctly though with my flights over the past 2 weeks. Are you having issues with that? I also have the error message it just doesn't seem to be impacting anything.
Agreed, my TravelBank numbers look fine. I think this has to do with the fact that UA doesn't sell gift certificates anymore (if I had to guess). That said, it seems like whenever UA updates one thing, something else breaks. The buyups are back (and they have changed the look/feel of that section), but now I am not getting eTicket email confirmations (even when the flight has ticketed).
Old Sep 22, 2017, 6:06 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by LIH
The problem is that I can't contribute money, as explicitly stated in the apology message. I get some consultation fees as gift/credit cards, and just deposit them in the gift registry/travel bank. Haven't been able to do for weeks now, and would like to use em on some big airfares. No reply yet from GS btw.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 7:20 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
not really -- the renewal adds to the end of the present subscription. Doing now avoids missing the renewal but gives UA a "loan" for a few days.
Thanks, I was really asking if the renewal adds to the end of the present subscription. So I'll renew now
Old Sep 22, 2017, 8:17 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Thanks, I was really asking if the renewal adds to the end of the present subscription. So I'll renew now
If you are not traveling in the near future, you can extend your current/then expired membership a few days before your next flight. Your membership will be valid one year from your renewal date.

I have done this and funds in my TravelBank remained the same.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 1:15 pm

So you can extend your membership AFTER it expires without losing your bank value?

I just renewed and noticed a checkbox for auto renewal annually. I don't know how trustworthy the feature is. Next year, if it doesnt auto-renew, I'm not sure what proof I would have that I had auto-renew enabled.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
So you can extend your membership AFTER it expires without losing your bank value? ...
Yes
The subscription is for earning the $5 ticket credit. Once in the travel bank, there are different expiration rules (5 years for Gift Registries, 18 months converted to ETC for Travel Bank)

I just renewed and noticed a checkbox for auto renewal annually. I don't know how trustworthy the feature is. Next year, if it doesnt auto-renew, I'm not sure what proof I would have that I had auto-renew enabled.
It is a revenue source for UA, they watch those closely -- plus minimal problems if it does not.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 22, 2017 at 2:07 pm
Old Sep 22, 2017, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by 1KChinito
If you are not traveling in the near future, you can extend your current/then expired membership a few days before your next flight. Your membership will be valid one year from your renewal date.

I have done this and funds in my TravelBank remained the same.
As long as the tickets were booked when you had an active travelbank, this may be true.

When I first joined travelbank, I had 4 or 5 flights that were booked prior to my activation date & they did not earn the $5 per flight. Once I started flying the flights booked after I joined, then I started earning the $5.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by FlyngSvyr
As long as the tickets were booked when you had an active travelbank, this may be true. ...
That is true, your account needs to be active at the time of booking and at the time of flying.

With every united.com ticket purchased, united.com Club members will earn a 5.00 USD credit to their TravelBank. You must be enrolled in united.com Club prior to making the flight purchase to receive the credit.
A TravelBank Account is required to receive united.com Club credits. Once united.com Club credits have been earned and deposited in the TravelBank, they are subject to the terms and conditions of the TravelBank.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 2:03 pm

Programs: AA Plat
I just renewed and noticed a checkbox for auto renewal annually.
To others, be very careful. It's not possible to unautorenew AFAIK.

As long as the tickets were booked when you had an active travelbank, this may be true.
It's not a hypothetical. I proved this last month.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 3:25 pm

Programs: 3 MMer
Once I started flying the flights booked after I joined, then I started earning the $5.
Occasionally/approximately one out of every 10/15 trips I need to call them and get credit where credit is due! Can take a few weeks to post depending upon how many different stories I get, on each separate call. I had the direct #, but misplaced it a few months ago.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.