Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

TSA PreCheck Program - Questions/Experiences for United Airlines Travellers

TSA PreCheck Program - Questions/Experiences for United Airlines Travellers

Old Oct 19, 2012, 11:58 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I flew a UA codeshare on US metal (UA ticket) from DCA-LGA and PreCheck didn't work for me. This was before I had Global Entry.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 12:09 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
I flew a UA codeshare on US metal (UA ticket) from DCA-LGA and PreCheck didn't work for me. This was before I had Global Entry.
Does it work after you have Global Entry? If so, does it pick up the PASS ID info from your UA profile or did you have to do something additional? Thanks!
Old Oct 19, 2012, 12:45 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by jackal
Is this what you read? http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-ai...flying-us.html

Best as I can tell, the plain-Jane UA PreCheck invitation doesn't work. However, if you take advantage of UA's offer to pay for a Global Entry interview and you get a Global Entry Pass ID number, you can then insert that in your US reservation and potentially get PreCheck.
Yeah that's what I read. I've been avoiding global entry for civil libertarian reasons, so I'll just have to wait it out in line when flying US.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by lax2010
Does it work after you have Global Entry? If so, does it pick up the PASS ID info from your UA profile or did you have to do something additional? Thanks!
I can't comment on US, but I did recently fly AA (where I have no elite status) and was able to use PreCheck based on the PASS ID that I entered into my AAdvantage profile.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
I can't comment on US, but I did recently fly AA (where I have no elite status) and was able to use PreCheck based on the PASS ID that I entered into my AAdvantage profile.
Ditto on DL for me at SLC
Old Oct 19, 2012, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Great! Essentially that was what the CBP office told me after the Global Entry interview. He handed me a TSA PRE-check flyer and told me that I can start using my 9-digit PASS ID for domestic travel :-).
Old Oct 19, 2012, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Great! Essentially that was what the CBP office told me after the Global Entry interview. He handed me a TSA PRE-check flyer and told me that I can start using my 9-digit PASS ID for domestic travel :-).
Yep- Just make sure that the Secure Flight Data is an exact match to the data on the GOES portal. If it does not match, the system may deny you Pre-Check.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Funny. When I asked my CBP guy about PreCheck benefits, he told me he had no idea what I was talking about. When I said, "TSA PreCheck," he said it was a completely different agency and they have no connection.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
If you type your Pass ID# into your US reservation when you do web check-in, it will work. I wouldn't rely on the information carrying over from your UA profile.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 2:25 pm

Programs: A3 Gold
Apologies if this question was answered already, but how does one know if they've been picked for PreCheck? Is it something that gets printed on the boarding pass like Star* status?
Old Oct 19, 2012, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by FortFun
It's posted many times in this thread. Search for 'manatee' and/or 'neoreader'.

Posts #1029 and #1100 would be good places to start.

Also, I'm sure TSA would not be excited to learn that people are doing this, so probably mum's the word to those guys...
Old Oct 19, 2012, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Bateau
Apologies if this question was answered already, but how does one know if they've been picked for PreCheck? Is it something that gets printed on the boarding pass like Star* status?
There are two ways to know:

1) Approach the Pre-Check lane and have your BP scanned. If the scanner says "LLL" or triple beeps, then you should get access.

2) Search this thread for "PDF417", and follow the instructions about downloading an app to scan your BP ahead of time.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by Bateau
This is one of the real oddities of the program. By keeping membership in this secret society secret even from members (!) until it works for you the first time, they invite the eventual clogging up of the lanes with huge numbers of non-members. If they told you "you're now a member, but it won't always apply" they could then label the lanes "for members only" and cut down on confused interlopers.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 3:35 pm

Programs: DL DM
Not sure if this was posted before, but works in Philly at the C gate checkpoint, even though I was flying UA. C to D is a quick walk, and beats standing in line. 40 seconds from scanning the BP to being done.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 3:47 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by AGSF
Not sure if this was posted before, but works in Philly at the C gate checkpoint, even though I was flying UA. C to D is a quick walk, and beats standing in line. 40 seconds from scanning the BP to being done.
I don't think the TSA agents at the checkpoint care which airline your flying as long as your BP beeps correctly.

I successfully went through the Delta terminal PreCheck lane at LGA with my UA boarding pass even though the concourses are not connected behind security.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.