Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

TSA PreCheck Program - Questions/Experiences for United Airlines Travellers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA PreCheck Program - Questions/Experiences for United Airlines Travellers

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2012, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by StratMaster
I was going to ask a bunch of questions about this programme, but now I have many fewer questions when you mention that it is not allowed on international itineraries It also sounds like evil foreigners like me might not be eligible.

So I guess my only question is, if I check that little box at the United web site, what information on me will they share? (Assuming anyone here knows.) Wouldn't want some of those people who board first coming to check me out.
There's no guarantee that an international segment won't work. Several reports in the AA forum of people getting access. I (GE) was unable to get the LLL after doing PEK-ORD-SFO-JFK.

Originally Posted by andyh64000
Wow! Really?

I fly to NRT on Tuesday...I will definitely check it out .
Originally Posted by Mats
It won't work for the Narita flight. You can only get "LLLL" on a domestic itinerary. I'm flying on United out of Seattle on a domestic itinerary on the 15th, so I'll be delighted if PreCheck is available.

The return is out of Newark, and I don't think they're getting PreCheck until September.

The next trip (on the the 30th) is on Air Canada. Same checkpoint two weeks later, but I'll be considered in need of greater scrutiny because I'm going to Toronto. I'm still scratching my head.
Yes and no.. Btw, it's LLL, not LLLL.

My assumption is, since there is no second security check, if you fly an intra-US segment, followed by an international segment, you can't get LLLL. But is it possible if you are arriving on an international flight, and continuing within the US? This would be the main benefit for me (if it is possible).
Unclear. Failed for me, and others I know.

Originally Posted by joshwex90
On a domestic to international itin, you could book them separately, and get Pre-Check, and then not have to re-clear again. Probably not worth it though
I had to book a o/w ticket after coming off an intl flight. Pre-Check worked like a charm ^

So the way this works is if you get an "LLLL" on your boarding pass, you drew the winning ticket? Could you edit "LLLL" into the PDF on an on-line check in?
That's highly doubtful. You don't see "LLL" on your BP. It's encoded into the barcode, and likely only revealable when scanned at the checkpoint.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 11:07 am

Programs: SPG Plat, HH Silver, UA 1K, DL Silver
Originally Posted by jbharvey
Entered my global entry number into the Unted traveler profile.

I fly out of LAS and when you go through the premier line they always ask what airline. I say United and they usually pass you on, not allowing access to TSE pre check. This morning they said, hold on, let's run your boarding pass.

Lo and behold, I was granted access! The TSA agent said I was the second United person to get access and that it's been operational for two days.

Yay! Was awesome. No taking off belt, no taking off shoes, no taking out liquids. Was so nice.
My god...its finally happening. About time.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
It wouldn't make any difference...and in fact you might get yourself added to a list you don't want to be on when you're caught!
I think I'm already on a few of those lists, but I definitely wasn't planning on "pioneering" the use of this technique

Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
All BP's are scanned by the TSA ID checker before final access to the screening... a fake BP won't work.
Would this apply just to the queue for the expedited security, or are they scanning them all now? I haven't been to the US for a bunch of months, but I don't remember them scanning anything at security at the time. (Maybe I just forgot.) They often seemed very suspicious of my passport, since (1) it is foreign, and (2) it looks like it went through the wash a few too many times.

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
That's highly doubtful. You don't see "LLL" on your BP. It's encoded into the barcode, and likely only revealable when scanned at the checkpoint.
OK, that's certainly beyond my present abilities. And as per the last post, I'd want to see some other people use this technique successfully a few times before trying it myself

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jun 7, 2012 at 4:18 pm Reason: merge
Old Jun 7, 2012, 11:18 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Would this apply just to the queue for the expedited security, or are they scanning them all now? I haven't been to the US for a bunch of months, but I don't remember them scanning anything at security at the time. (Maybe I just forgot.) They often seemed very suspicious of my passport, since (1) it is foreign, and (2) it looks like it went through the wash a few too many times.
They're not scanning them all right now..I just flew yesterday and cleared security at PHL and my BP was not scanned..nor was it scanned at SEA on my way out a few days ago using the regular lane.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 11:20 am

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Gold, US Airways silver
What about PHX?

Will ask TSA on Saturday...
Old Jun 7, 2012, 1:23 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by remedy
Will ask TSA on Saturday...
Last I heard was "later this year." The TSO said T4 and T2 will get it, but T3 won't.

Take that for what it's worth. Nice to see UA in the program. Hopefully this will get it implemented at SFO soon!
Old Jun 7, 2012, 1:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), AA P, Marriott PP (LT PP), SPG P (LT P), HH G, and Hertz PC
LAS Worked Today!

TSA Pre worked flawlessly in LAS today The TSAR said it actually went live for United two days ago.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3 Million/ex-many year GS, AA PLT/2 Mil, AS MVPG, HH Dia, Starwood Life Plat, Hertz PC
Just went through security in DEN with my phone. The scan to the TSA checker showed LLL even though DEN isn't part of preCheck yet. I asked him and he didn't even know what preCheck was. Interesting that they apparently clear folks even for airports where the system isn't operational yet.

BTW - anyone heard when PDX on the UA side will get it? And based on this experience I wonder whether clearing security at PDX for UA on the ABC side would work?
Old Jun 7, 2012, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by frequentjohn
TSA Pre worked flawlessly in LAS today The TSAR said it actually went live for United two days ago.
^

Originally Posted by pdx1M
Just went through security in DEN with my phone. The scan to the TSA checker showed LLL even though DEN isn't part of preCheck yet. I asked him and he didn't even know what preCheck was. Interesting that they apparently clear folks even for airports where the system isn't operational yet.

BTW - anyone heard when PDX on the UA side will get it? And based on this experience I wonder whether clearing security at PDX for UA on the ABC side would work?

DEN is pretty much setup to have a Pre-Check lane. Hope they enable it soon.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 2:21 pm

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...screening.aspx
Old Jun 7, 2012, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Interesting:

*Expedited screening will only be available to customers who check in online, at a kiosk or via a mobile device.

Still glad to see that ORD is going to be setup shortly!
Old Jun 7, 2012, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Interesting:

*Expedited screening will only be available to customers who check in online, at a kiosk or via a mobile device.

Still glad to see that ORD is going to be setup shortly!
Also interesting to hear reports from people getting LLL at airports not on the list.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 3:20 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by pdx1M
I'd give it a shot on the ABC side. They scan all BPs in the F lane (except WN) and DL says to use the ABC side if you want to use Pre-Check.

Before Pre-Check started at PDX, I'd always clear security at UA then walk to AS/WN. It was always faster and I never had any issues (the TSA even encourages it).
Old Jun 7, 2012, 4:00 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Mad_Max_Esq
Also interesting to hear reports from people getting LLL at airports not on the list.
how would one know that?
Old Jun 7, 2012, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Just got an email from UA about applying for Pre-Check:

United® is partnering with the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) to deliver TSA Pre✓TM, an expedited security screening program at several airports, with Chicago O'Hare, Los Angeles International and Houston Intercontinental starting this summer. Apply today and you could move through security with greater efficiency and ease when flying on a domestic itinerary.
Good to hear that LAX & IAH will be online this summer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.