Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United to Renovate ORD T2, Triple Size of United Club

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United to Renovate ORD T2, Triple Size of United Club

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2012, 9:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, MC Life Plat, HH Gold
Before they opened the Terminal for Tomorrow (aka T1), United used to have a nice big club upstairs in the lateral hallway connecting E and F, similar to the one that AA still operates in the comparable position in T3. Anyone know what's up there now?

One thing I'd like is for United to take over some of the nearer E gates in place of those far F gates and then a big club in the old location would be centrally located.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by DCBob
Actually, the "original ORD terminal" was old Terminal 1, built in 1955. It was demolished and replaced by the current Terminal 1 in 1987. Terminal 2 was built in 1962 and is still in use. The 1987 Terminal 1 was way ahead of its time and still looks quite modern today.
No, terminal 1 the old international terminal. The current T2 is where United was for many years, through the 60s and 70s. The rotunda between T2 and T3 had the restaurant that was between UA and AA. They demolished the old international terminal (T1) to build the new UA Terminal 1.

Upgraded facilities with downgraded service and upgraded price?

Last edited by flyinbob; Feb 4, 2012 at 9:57 pm
Old Feb 4, 2012, 10:49 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
Other than the lack of concessions I can't see why people wouldn't like the current T1. T2 on the other hand is the one that DOES need work. A big UC ala the AC that's huge on the upper level would be awesome. Hopefully they get some windows and skylights in there too, it just seems to dark and dingy now. ^ to showers too!
Old Feb 4, 2012, 11:21 pm

Why dont they just figure out a way to not use T2 for UX flights and move them to B/C gates so its easy to transfer etc.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Finally! The experience on RJs in T2 in ORD is terrible. It seems for certain destinations, you almost never get a gate. Walking up and down the stairs is hard with luggage, the noise, the weather and the smell of jet exhaust, waiting for gate-checked bag outside...this is definitely good news!

DL seems to be a lot more efficient with its regional operations. Gate-checked bags are done a lot better in many stations big and small - jetway has a door that opens with the cart that transports the bags to/from the plane inside.

To the poster above - I think if there was enough capacity in T1, UA would not use T2.

When/if AA/US merge, US would probably move to T3 DL moved to T2 with NW and freed up a few gates in T3. T2 is just not pleasant - even the McDonald's employees there seem to be nastier than other terminals.

I wonder if they can build a tunnel between T2 and Concourse C

Last edited by username; Feb 5, 2012 at 12:17 am
Old Feb 5, 2012, 3:25 am

Originally Posted by hellyea
Why dont they just figure out a way to not use T2 for UX flights and move them to B/C gates so its easy to transfer etc.
They use T1 for UAX flights but the can only handle so much. Simply not the capacity to have one terminal. They need 2.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 4:21 am

Location: AA Gold/Million Miler,DL dirt,UA1K/Million Miler;Honors Silver,Marriott Gold;Avis Preferred,Hertz Prez Circle, Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by username
Finally! The experience on RJs in T2 in ORD is terrible. It seems for certain destinations, you almost never get a gate. Walking up and down the stairs is hard with luggage, the noise, the weather and the smell of jet exhaust, waiting for gate-checked bag outside...this is definitely good news!

DL seems to be a lot more efficient with its regional operations. Gate-checked bags are done a lot better in many stations big and small - jetway has a door that opens with the cart that transports the bags to/from the plane inside.

To the poster above - I think if there was enough capacity in T1, UA would not use T2.

When/if AA/US merge, US would probably move to T3 DL moved to T2 with NW and freed up a few gates in T3. T2 is just not pleasant - even the McDonald's employees there seem to be nastier than other terminals.

I wonder if they can build a tunnel between T2 and Concourse C
Don't expect a tunnel as they have a shuttle bus. Although the elements can be harsh, it's kind of a cool view while on the drive over to C. It would be great if there were showers in the plans, but that would be better suited for T-1 B or C clubs.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 8:02 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, MC Life Plat, HH Gold
Those of us who live in Chicago and watch the politics surrounding O'Hare improvements realize that it will be a long hard road before any major terminal reconstruction happens. The issue is that, unlike the runway improvements that have moved forward in fits and starts, any rational major terminal plan would increase gate capacity and open room for additional competition. UA and AA, who control most of the current capacity, have no desire to see Jet Blue, Virgin America, and others expand their presence here. Also, an expanded O'Hare would put one more nail in the coffin of the proposed Peotone airport that would have brought great wealth to a bunch of Illinois politicians and their friends.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Great news for ORD T2.

On IAD, I don't know where to start?

1. C/D was built in the 70s as temporary terminals...they need to use IAD C/D as an example to change the definition of "temporary" in dictionaries.
2. The main check-in building and luggage claim area also needs to be expanded and renovated
3. Cost....it is Washington DC... cost will be higher than other city for many reasons
4. Because it is Washington DC, "no decision" is the game in town
5. Washington DC badly needs competition for internaitonal traffic. UA is almost like a monopoly. Without competition, nothing will likely to move and will stay "temporary" beyond my lifetime.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 4:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Great news for ORD T2.

On IAD, I don't know where to start?

1. C/D was built in the 70s as temporary terminals...they need to use IAD C/D as an example to change the definition of "temporary" in dictionaries.
2. The main check-in building and luggage claim area also needs to be expanded and renovated
3. Cost....it is Washington DC... cost will be higher than other city for many reasons
4. Because it is Washington DC, "no decision" is the game in town
5. Washington DC badly needs competition for internaitonal traffic. UA is almost like a monopoly. Without competition, nothing will likely to move and will stay "temporary" beyond my lifetime.
We have more people to pay off than most localities.

We need to have DL come in and offer some international competition. I would have preferred AA, but they are a basket case right now.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 9:02 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
2. The main check-in building and luggage claim area also needs to be expanded and renovated.
I agree that the UA check-in and baggage claim areas can be disaster zones, but what can be done about the problem? The MWAA lengthened the main terminal in 1996 and finished a renovation in 2005. Little more can be accomplished without building a completely new structure, which obviously can never happen, due to historical building preservation issues.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 4:22 am

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by nevansm
^ to showers too!
Agreed. I just can't figure out why PMUA did not offer showers at hub airports like ORD, IAD and SFO. As the unified product is sorted out I hope that showers gradually open when reasonable. Beyond hubs, my wish list would include HNL, BOS and SEA.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 3:44 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Well that's good news. I don't suppose they're going to raise the ceiling height though? That's my biggest complaint with the place.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Construction has begun at ORD. The first jetbridge is being installed at F12-B.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...,1923550.story

With so much UX running in/out of MCI these days, I'm finding myself spending more time around the F gates.. Looking forward to the larger RCC ^
Old Apr 27, 2012, 2:01 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
Does anybody know if the club is new construction somewhere (more convenient) in the terminal or are the expanding the existing club?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.