Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United to Renovate ORD T2, Triple Size of United Club

United to Renovate ORD T2, Triple Size of United Club

Old Feb 4, 2012, 12:05 pm

Programs: UA Gold, AA MM/Gold, Hilton Gold, Sheraton Gold
I've never been in the T2 UC since I'm always in T1. I'd like to check it out someday. Can you get there from T1 on the air side? Btw, wasn't the old T1 international, torn down for United's new T1, and Intl using the main floor of the parking garage until T5 was built? Fuzzy memory.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA 2P
Originally Posted by halls120
Yes, I'm being cynical here, but I simply don't see UA willing to invest in IAD, especially when they are the dominant carrier at that airport. IAD customers were an afterthought to UA management before the merger, and with EWR up the road, it isn't going to get any better. IAD is always going to be a cesspool compared to the other major hubs.
That was the thought of many in the early days of the merger, but the new UA has shown that they do care about IAD, by doing things such as adding flights (MAN, HNL, etc) and the construction of the maintenance hangar. It certainly will never be their top priority as you said with EWR up the road, but they certainly have shown they do realize its value.

The design of the replacement concourse has been started already, but it's since been put on hold due to lack of funding. Hopefully MWAA and UA will com to an agreement in terms of financing.

Here are some conceptual images of the design as it is now, by KPF:

KPF Site

http://www.degezelle.eu/en_public_buildings.html

(I've done some digging in my free time)

Anyways, that's a bit off topic. Good that UA is investing in its facilities ^
Old Feb 4, 2012, 12:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Originally Posted by gonezen
I've never been in the T2 UC since I'm always in T1. I'd like to check it out someday. Can you get there from T1 on the air side?
You can get there airside, but it's really not worth it, at least not until they actually complete whatever renovations they announced.

Maybe they'll use this opportunity to install some showers. At least in the ORD C UC, they could just open up admissions criteria to the existing Arrivals showers that are already accessible from the club.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 1:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by 11800506
That was the thought of many in the early days of the merger, but the new UA has shown that they do care about IAD, by doing things such as adding flights (MAN, HNL, etc) and the construction of the maintenance hangar. It certainly will never be their top priority as you said with EWR up the road, but they certainly have shown they do realize its value.

The design of the replacement concourse has been started already, but it's since been put on hold due to lack of funding. Hopefully MWAA and UA will com to an agreement in terms of financing.

Anyways, that's a bit off topic. Good that UA is investing in its facilities ^
The flights they've added barely offset the flights that have gone away. But yes, capital improvements are significant, because you can't pick up a hangar as easy as you can an airplane - so I guess there is hope.

What I continue to not understand is why they aren't spending money to build a proper terminal. No one in their right mind can defend the existing C/D terminal.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 1:07 pm
Suspended

What I continue to not understand is why they aren't spending money to build a proper terminal. No one in their right mind can defend the existing C/D terminal.
I do not believe that UA's current lease, or financial position, allows it to construct a mid-field concourse at IAD. All aspects of construction are the responsibility of the MWAA.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
It is my understanding that PMUA and now UA have been in near constant conflict with the MWAA over who will pay for the new C/D concourse in IAD. The parties can not come to terms, so C/D remains the hole it is today. You can see the conflict for yourself every time you take the new train to C/D. The city build the C/D station under where the C/D concourse should be and forces passengers to take that long walk back to the current "temporary" terminal.

You can just imagine how well intrenched the parties are from the amount of money spent to make the connector from C/D to the C/D station.

Originally Posted by sxf24
I do not believe that UA's current lease, or financial position, allows it to construct a mid-field concourse at IAD. All aspects of construction are the responsibility of the MWAA.
It's my understanding that UA can build a new C/D concourse if they want to. UA just has to pay for it.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
I'm just happy that United HAS a club in T2, in the midst of RJ-hell. Just imagine how much better the A gates at IAD would be if there were a club next door....
Old Feb 4, 2012, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by hobo13
I'm just happy that United HAS a club in T2, in the midst of RJ-hell. Just imagine how much better the A gates at IAD would be if there were a club next door....
At least they've got a Five Guys
Old Feb 4, 2012, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA 2P
Originally Posted by colpuck
It's my understanding that UA can build a new C/D concourse if they want to. UA just has to pay for it.
Well who is paying for the ORD T2 renovations and the IAH Terminal B redevelopment? UA, or the respective airports?
Old Feb 4, 2012, 3:09 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, AA Silver
Well who is paying for the ORD T2 renovations and the IAH Terminal B redevelopment? UA, or the respective airports?
At IAH, the Houston Airport System is financing the renovations, and splitting the $2+ billion cost with UA. The airport is adding a $3 surcharge to all tickets, including non-UA tickets. No word on who is footing the bill at O'Hare, but you can bet that ORD will be helping pay in some way.

The problem with IAD is that the projected cost is above $5b for a new C/D, and neither MWAA nor UA want to spend that much money. I hope that after the orange line is extended to IAD, the MWAA has more incentive to open their pocketbook.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mizzou65201
It has been some time since I have been through ORD T2, but may be back there more soon for some UAX flights.

Is there still a small security c/p in T2 next to the airside corridor to T1?

Does that c/p have body scanners?
Nope. It's now an employee checkpoint because it was too convenient for passengers.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 4:40 pm

Programs: AGR WOH
Originally Posted by mre5765
it won't be possible for jet bridges to reach the RJs that are parked a long distance from the gate. I'm guessing they will build junk extensions to concourse F much like UA did on the east end of concourse B in DEN, thin walls that keep no heat in the winter, keep out no heat in the summer, and will be ripped to shreds when a tornado inevitably touches down.
It appears that American Eagle over in Concourse G has 100% jet bridges, using some really long bridges both at the terminal end and at the "cul de sac" end of the concourse: http://g.co/maps/ktvhq

The other neat thing that Concourse G has are those skylights, which make it feel much less cramped than E/F even though it's structurally very similar.

Tornadoes are much less frequent in Chicago than in Denver; the last one within city limits was over fifty years ago.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 6:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Perhaps an end to the F dungeon?!
+1!!!

I fly thru F almost every time since I'm coming from Moline. Just did it today on the way home and no jetway. This is great news.

Originally Posted by rob_flies_ua
You can get there airside, but it's really not worth it, at least not until they actually complete whatever renovations they announced.

Maybe they'll use this opportunity to install some showers. At least in the ORD C UC, they could just open up admissions criteria to the existing Arrivals showers that are already accessible from the club.
It's always crowded and it's very small. Not work the walk unless you want the exercise. Most interesting thing on the way is the Butch O'Hare plane.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Feb 4, 2012 at 7:15 pm Reason: merge
Old Feb 4, 2012, 9:04 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
Here are some conceptual images of the design as it is now, by KPF:

KPF Site
^
Are you sure you had to post those Mythical New C/D Concourse Renderings here? I suppose that's better than seeing them on the wall when you step off the AirTrain underneath the would-be home of that hypothetical structure.

FWIW, I remember hearing a number well below $5 billion for a new C/D concourse from an MWAA rep at the May 2010 Do... but I don't recall what exact figure I did hear.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
I really only have one word for the renovation.

Showers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.