Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United lounge access when flying award ticket with inherited status

Old Feb 1, 2012, 9:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, DL GM, Avis First, Sixt Plat

My brother is flying on a ticket I bought with my miles on CO. Because of the bug they still have he's able to choose exit row seats and his ticket shows him as *G/Plat.

Will he also be able to access the lounge at GRU? Has anyone here given it a try?
Old Feb 2, 2012, 10:50 am

Programs: UA 1PP MM
Would depend where he's going? If it's a lounge that can scan the BP (most of Asia) no problem. If he's going to Europe - most also want to see you *G card.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by mnmme
Would depend where he's going? If it's a lounge that can scan the BP (most of Asia) no problem. If he's going to Europe - most also want to see you *G card.
So does that mean it will more likely work at a legacy UA club (scanned BP) but not as likely at a legacy CO club (manually entered BP)?
Old Feb 2, 2012, 10:59 am

Programs: UA 1PP MM
Been my daughters results, while on award tix with my status.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 11:11 am

if they ask for a card, you could always try, "Oh, they haven't sent me a card yet this year due to the merger". Certainly a true statement for many new elites.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, DL GM, Avis First, Sixt Plat
Cool. I'll let you know if it will work or not...
Old Feb 2, 2012, 11:43 am

Programs: VAG
Originally Posted by Wx4caster
if they ask for a card, you could always try, "Oh, they haven't sent me a card yet this year due to the merger". Certainly a true statement for many new elites.
At which point, you're basically just lying your way in, and ethically equivalent to sneaking in while everybody's back is turned.

If you wanted your brother to have lounge access you shoulda spent the extra fifteen thousand miles to give him a biz-class ticket...
Old Feb 2, 2012, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jorgen
At which point, you're basically just lying your way in, and ethically equivalent to sneaking in while everybody's back is turned.

If you wanted your brother to have lounge access you shoulda spent the extra fifteen thousand miles to give him a biz-class ticket...

Let's spare the ethics debate on this one. It's up to the OP how far they want to go.

They could check bags for free with this bug, or they could volunteer the fact that they're really non-status and pay for their bags. It's a personal choice.

Similarly, how many times do we have to fight for benefits that we're entitled to, or overlooked by things like EUA due to systems issues.

Perhaps it all balances out in the end.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by Jorgen

I've done just that (purchasing bf reward), and had my wife turned away at the door because of the club's own lack of knowledge about the rules!
Old Feb 2, 2012, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Wx4caster
I've done just that (purchasing bf reward), and had my wife turned away at the door because of the club's own lack of knowledge about the rules!
Like I said, it all balances out over time.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 2:19 am

Programs: LH Senator, Hertz Presidents Circle, IHG Plat. Previous: UA 1K, AAdvantage Platinum;
Bring a guest with no status

here is the question

If i (*A Gold) book my son an award ticket does he:

a. get himself into the lounge
b. get himself and a guest into the lounge
c. a but only if i am also there
d. b but only if am also there

If it is d, then i guess we get a total of 4 (me + guest, and son + guest)

I know this may differ by lounge, so i will tell you that i am specifically asking about EWR connecting to/from TLV in coach
Old Apr 20, 2014, 6:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The official rule is that the lounge access benefit is not inherited via purchasing the award reservation from your account. What actually happens at the lounge may vary, but you should expect that the traveler does not gain access.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 7:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by sbm12
The official rule is that the lounge access benefit is not inherited via purchasing the award reservation from your account. What actually happens at the lounge may vary, but you should expect that the traveler does not gain access.
Although this may be true, the person you were answering was asking about TLV in particular. @ TLV there is no UA Club, and UA like all carriers besides LY and BA both of whom have their own lounges, everyone else uses the Dan Lounge.

I believe presenting your UA or *A G card wont be of any help, as every person who can access the lounge must get an Invite for the Lounge to hand them when entering from an agent at the check-in counter. In the past when flying in Y as a 1K I was presented with said Invite w/o having to ask for it. Since I travel alone I have no idea if they would also grant an Invite had I been traveling with anyone. But the Dan Lounge is not a UA lounge nor a *A G lounge.

My gut tells me since its not a UA or *A lounge that access will be for those with the proper status or in BF, w/o any guests who wouldn't qualify for access on their own. I will try to remember on Tues to ask but Im not flying UA but AC.

But it doesn't hurt to ask, I know some folks who were flying on the status of the person who gave them the tkts and they were told no Invite since they have no status regardless of what is printed on their BP, I guess its a YMMV issue all depending on the person checking them in
Old Apr 20, 2014, 7:34 am

Programs: UA 1K
I'm pretty sure that in TLV the answer is c.

Originally Posted by bosbjg
here is the question

If i (*A Gold) book my son an award ticket does he:

a. get himself into the lounge
b. get himself and a guest into the lounge
c. a but only if i am also there
d. b but only if am also there

If it is d, then i guess we get a total of 4 (me + guest, and son + guest)

I know this may differ by lounge, so i will tell you that i am specifically asking about EWR connecting to/from TLV in coach
Old Apr 20, 2014, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by Wx4caster:17938421
Very true. I didn't get my card, asked for another & didn't get that either! I usually show my BP but next week I'm starting on a partner airline that doesn't show my status on their boarding passes. I doubt it will be a problem as I have my phone with the UA app

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.