Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Why do some names show up on the checked-in upgrade list prior to T-24?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2012, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: UAL 1K MM

I suspect it's buried here someplace or on the UAL site but who can check in prior to 24 hours? Is this a GS privilege? I just noticed there are two people checked in for my flight tomorrow afternoon (27 hours from now) and I (as I expected) am not able to do so.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 10:44 am

Programs: exUA, WN
Connecting flights, you checkin 24 hours before the first one.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 10:45 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Marriott LT
Originally Posted by hans
I suspect it's buried here someplace or on the UAL site but who can check in prior to 24 hours? Is this a GS privilege? I just noticed there are two people checked in for my flight tomorrow afternoon (27 hours from now) and I (as I expected) am not able to do so.
Most likely passengers on a connecting itinerary, since checking in for your first flight also checks you in for all subsequent connecting flights.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 10:47 am

Programs: UA 1K, UA MM SPG Gold
I think the TSA limits it to 24 hours. Several years ago CO allowed checkin 30 hours ahead of time and then cut it back to 24. The pax checked in are probably connecting so they can checkin 24 hours ahead of their first flight. I often fly PDX-DEN-CLE and checkin at 5:45 AM (24 hours before the PDX-DEN flight) and am checked in for the CLE flight even though it departs in 29 hours.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 10:52 am

Programs: United 1K, Delta Gold, Cathay Pacific Diamond, SPG plat.
When I worked for a cruise line we had a service called Bags and EasyFly. We could check people in and print boarding passes and luggage tags 48 hours before the first flit time.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 9:17 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hertz President Circle
What benefits would one gain from checking in earlier?
Old Jan 21, 2012, 9:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Landice
What benefits would one gain from checking in earlier?
For some FF programs, time of check in rather than time of ticketing or time on wait list is the tiebreaker for upgrades.

Perhaps the passenger has easy access to a computer and printer or the boarding pass early, but later will have no printer or would be forced to pay hotel business center fees to do it.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 11:30 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hertz President Circle
Have they not heard of mobile checkin? :-)
Old Jan 22, 2012, 9:10 am

Programs: Delta Gold
This makes me wonder if, as a 2P, I would have access to E+ seating more than T-24? If that were the case, it means that for trancon flights (from BOS), it might be smart for me to connect (maybe through EWR/JFK/etc), and beat other 2Ps to the punch for grabbing E+ seating...
Old Jan 22, 2012, 9:31 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by alanstar
This makes me wonder if, as a 2P, I would have access to E+ seating more than T-24? If that were the case, it means that for trancon flights (from BOS), it might be smart for me to connect (maybe through EWR/JFK/etc), and beat other 2Ps to the punch for grabbing E+ seating...
Adding a stop, and total travel time, for a better chance at a few inches, doesn't seem like the best trade-off. The few extra miles still doesn't seem worth it, to me.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by clublounger
Adding a stop, and total travel time, for a better chance at a few inches, doesn't seem like the best trade-off. The few extra miles still doesn't seem worth it, to me.
Spoken like a true 1K who probably makes 1K easily.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 1:19 pm

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
JFK would definitely make sense as a connection point, because all of UA's transcons from there are PS planes, in which all Y seats are E+. (Although with 1" less leg room than E+ on other planes...)
Old Jan 22, 2012, 5:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, IHG Plat Amb, HH Diamond
CO website check in always gives you the option to check in your return flight when you check in the outbound.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 6:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, UA Million Miler
To each his/her own but that's insanity
Old Jan 22, 2012, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by PDXbound
I think the TSA limits it to 24 hours. Several years ago CO allowed checkin 30 hours ahead of time and then cut it back to 24. The pax checked in are probably connecting so they can checkin 24 hours ahead of their first flight. I often fly PDX-DEN-CLE and checkin at 5:45 AM (24 hours before the PDX-DEN flight) and am checked in for the CLE flight even though it departs in 29 hours.
LY allows you to check-in from 27 hours out, and they have ex-USA flights, so I don't think it can be a TSA thing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.