Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Skip first segment on a return flight? (and "get on" in LAX)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2012, 10:47 pm
Original Poster

HI Guys! I'm planning a trip to Coachella this April and was wondering about the rules for skipping segments.

I'd like to book:

Out
NYC-ORD/DEN/SFO/LAX-PSP
In
PSP-LAX-NYC

Since the price for booking a round trip to PSP is considerably lower than booking NYC-LAX (and then just a one way, or even a return to PSP from LAX).

However I'll be in LA and would like to skip the first PSP-LAX flight on the return and simply "get on" at LAX.

Is this possible or is the entire return ticket forfeited if I skip the first segment?

Cheers!!
Old Jan 16, 2012, 10:49 pm

Programs: UA Silver, whatever the Amex plat gets me and somehow still IHG Diamond after 3 years of no nights
Unfortunately, the rules are designed to prevent you from doing exactly what you are trying to do to save some $$.

If you don't show up for PSP-LAX your return will be cancelled.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 10:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mpw81
Unfortunately, the rules are designed to prevent you from doing exactly what you are trying to do to save some $$.

If you don't show up for PSP-LAX your return will be cancelled.
Thanks for the quick reply!!! I'll just have to do NYC-LAX-NYC and pick up a car there and head down.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by Long leg
Thanks for the quick reply!!! I'll just have to do NYC-LAX-NYC and pick up a car there and head down.
To add to this, you can usually skip the last segment(s) of a reservation easily. Though skipping the first segment and hopping on at the next airport is impossible. As soon as you miss a segment, the remainder of the reservation is automatically cancelled.

If you repeat this practice too often, you may be flagged and there could be repercussions (since skipping a flight segment is typically not allowed per most airlines' rules). But doing this every once in a while would likely go unnoticed.

Some people also like to notify an agent (when they get to the final destination airport) if they're skipping a flight to prevent gate agents from trying to track you down.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Yup. This is one of the hard and fast rules (hidden city ticketing) that they will kill your ticket over. If you miss the first leg your ticket is gone. And, if you jump off a city early on the outbound they will kill your entire return. no way around it.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
PSP's 'only' two hours from LA, and I found much cheaper with rental cars. I had such a trip reserved via PSP, until the next day an Orange County flight showed up, which I grabbed. :-)
Old Jan 17, 2012, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA 1P, AA Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
While this is DEFINITELY against the rules, you can still do it (sometimes).

Twice I have booked MKE-ORD-SAN, because it used to be $200 cheaper than ORD-SAN. Both times I went to O'Hare the day before my flight, said that I could not make it up to Milwaukee, and asked if they could help me out. Thankfully, I got nice (read: ignorant?) TA's who let it slide.

There is still the risk that you'll get stuck, though. So it's probably not worth it unless you're willing to go to the other airport.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 2:26 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Izz24703
While this is DEFINITELY against the rules, you can still do it (sometimes).

Twice I have booked MKE-ORD-SAN, because it used to be $200 cheaper than ORD-SAN. Both times I went to O'Hare the day before my flight, said that I could not make it up to Milwaukee, and asked if they could help me out. Thankfully, I got nice (read: ignorant?) TA's who let it slide.

There is still the risk that you'll get stuck, though. So it's probably not worth it unless you're willing to go to the other airport.
You were very fortunate, both times!
Old Jan 17, 2012, 2:38 pm

Programs: UA MM
Baring circumstances beyond your control, your return will be canceled.

I had ONE success with this about 15 years ago. Flying on UA from LAX to Colorado Springs, connecting in DEN. This was a notorious example as LAX/DEN was always much more expensive that to Colorado Springs. On my return, the Colorado Springs airport was closed and all flights canceled due to a snowstorm about 30 minutes before my departure. To get home for the weekend, I shared a one way rental car to DEN to try and catch a flight there. It seemed like the agent was doing battle with the computer trying to get me on the plane but she finally succeeded and I got home for the weekend.

Do not try this at home
Old Jan 17, 2012, 4:29 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
You were very fortunate, both times!
Agreed.

I was supposed to be in MKE to start a trip to ORD then SFO. Stuck in Chicago and went to ORD to see what I could do. GS agents - and the head of GS at ORD - flatly refused to let me start there absent a refare. They said they get audited and that is one of the biggest no-no's they look for.

Had to take a bus to MKE and then standby for another SFO flight when I arrived at ORD.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Question about intentionally missing a flight

I have a meeting in Manassas, VA in October. Obviously IAD is the choice to fly into but airfares for that phx-iad non stop were $700 and up. So, I looked at flying into RIC instead. The price is 400 all in. Oddly enough my connection....is at IAD

Can I just leave IAD and head to a hotel in Manassas and forgo the IAD-RIC flight? I'd plan to keep my return routing, RIC-CLE-PHX on the return the following day. My colleague is going right past there so he could just drop me off.

If by missing that leg it would possibly effect/jeopardize my return flight I would of course never do it. What do you suggest? I've never not taken a flight intentionally in my life before.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 2:43 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Your return would be cncld and you would have to buy a new ticket at the going rate to return. It's called hidden city ticketing and is against the published rules.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 2:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
If you miss your connection, all remaining segments, return or otherwise are canceled. You would need to book 2x 1 way flights - but you're using hidden city ticketing, which violates the program rules - if you're caught, you could forfeit your MP membership including all miles and status.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 2:50 pm

Programs: M&S E+, Skymiles Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite,
You'd need to look up the price for a one way RIC-PHX for your way back, because as told before any segments following a missed segment will be cxld
Old Sep 18, 2012, 2:50 pm

This comes up every few days ... a search is recommended.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.