Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAL Stock Price, Management and Impact on Passengers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2012, 8:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold

I'm not a shareholder, but I follow the stock and the ratings (and the management) because that impacts me as a PAX.

Jeff started in September of 2008 and even thought I am highly critical of many of the changes - I don't dismiss him as a CEO in any way. He seems very engaged and focused.

That said, stock has not done well since he joined. Any perspectives?

Before I get flamed, I think UAL is rated more highly than most of the other US Airlines out there. That said, since stock performance drives executive compensation, pax benefits and behavior it seems worth asking.

http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=U...=0;logscale=on
Old Jan 11, 2012, 8:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by DCEsquire
Jeff started in September of 2008 and even thought I am highly critical of many of the changes - I don't dismiss him as a CEO in any way. He seems very engaged and focused.
Wait, what? Jeff Smisek hails from Continental (and started there around 1995). The merger talks in 2008 fell through.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 8:56 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
....That said, stock has not done well since he joined. Any perspectives?....
Given the performance of DAL, LLC and other market measures SP500, DJIA, NASDAQ over the past year ... UAL has done a worse but not uncommon for companies in the middle of a merger to do a little worse (given the on going uncertainty)

Probably a little early to draw any conclusions.

addendum: over a two period, UAL has out done the others

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 11, 2012 at 9:04 pm Reason: addendum
Old Jan 11, 2012, 11:43 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
addendum: over a two period, UAL has out done the others
southwest has outperformed united, based on stock price only.

in general, airlines have been and will likely continue to be horrible investments. I love Smisek's quote from a recent Northwestern University lecture/presentation:

"It's interesting for me to be here delivering a lecture, because to me a lecture means you're smart and you're imparting some kind of learning. Well I'm an airline executive so by definition, I ain't smart. In terms of imparting learning, recognize that as an airline business, we haven't returned out cost of capital since the Wright Brothers..."
Old Jan 11, 2012, 11:44 pm

UAUA was trading south of $3 when the most recent merger talks were announced if I recall correctly. How is it [UAL] doing today?

Last edited by B787938; Jan 11, 2012 at 11:58 pm
Old Jan 12, 2012, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
September 2008... September 2008... what happened in September 2008? Hmmm... was it Jeff Smisek taking over the reigns? Or was it the start of the financial meltdown and a global recession? Hmmm... let me think...

Sorry, but traders look at the price of oil and the state of the economy when determining airline stock value. Not how much an airline CEO is making a group of pampered whiners upset because he's taking away a bunch of costly freebies. "But, they're elite after all ..."
Old Jan 12, 2012, 5:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

That said, stock has not done well since he joined. Any perspectives?
I'd say that a quick review of causation v correlation would be useful in this case. :-:
Old Jan 12, 2012, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
I'd say that a quick review of causation v correlation would be useful in this case.
funny you mention that; I find it disturbing that so many execs are compensated based on numbers that they may not really have control over/influence over... certainly this falls into that category. Clearly, if oil goes up 50% the airlines will lose money left and right and there's very little that can be done.

But the CEO particularly in this case has the job of setting the tone and managing a complex integration of two large airlines. Unfortunately, in this case, aside from painting aircraft, the "integration" is not going all so well.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 6:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by entropy
funny you mention that; I find it disturbing that so many execs are compensated based on numbers that they may not really have control over/influence over...
I find many things disturbing; this is pretty low on my list.

Originally Posted by entropy
But the CEO particularly in this case has the job of setting the tone and managing a complex integration of two large airlines. Unfortunately, in this case, aside from painting aircraft, the "integration" is not going all so well.
Yeah, they haven't managed to shift capacity to where it is needed, align some of the policies (with basically all complete in 6 weeks), integrate in-flight policies and procedures to a level that satisfied the FAA or do anything else successfully. What's the timeline that successful integration is measured on? Passing judgment today seems awfully premature to me.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 7:34 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
Unfortunately, in this case, aside from painting aircraft, the "integration" is not going all so well.
Really? Do you think that most passengers can even tell the difference (beyond some new signs)? FT does not represent the flying masses. I don't know why one would explect this to be different than any other merger - there will be problems and it will take more than a few months to fully integrate. Surprise!
Old Jan 12, 2012, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Fanjet
September 2008... September 2008... what happened in September 2008? Hmmm... was it Jeff Smisek taking over the reigns? Or was it the start of the financial meltdown and a global recession? Hmmm... let me think...
Last I checked, the stock market has done pretty good since 2008..

http://www.1stock1.com/1stock1_142.htm

Even though I don't hold shares, I would like to see UAL doing well - to the extent its stock isn't doing great, I think that results in (more) surly service and probably even deeper cost cutting.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Last I checked, the stock market has done pretty good since 2008..

http://www.1stock1.com/1stock1_142.htm

Even though I don't hold shares, I would like to see UAL doing well - to the extent its stock isn't doing great, I think that results in (more) surly service and probably even deeper cost cutting.
The stock market in general has done great since September 2008. But that doesn't mean that every stock has shared in that glory. Airline stock prices are very much subjected to the state of the economy and the price of oil. And opposite of the point of this thread, I think shareholders of UAL would be quite glad that Smisek is running the company; much more so than Tilton. The only people who seemed to be upset with Smisek running things are the ones who are upset their welfare benefits are being scaled back.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 10:42 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
FT Not a Valid Sample / Smisek Done well as CEO

There are however many threads on FT from people swearing that they know 10,000 people who are jumping ship from UACO because Smisek is using a lower threadcount for the hot towels in F. But, the fact is that UA is on an even keel, it's running a profit and pax satisfaction, as publicly reported, is up.

Capacity is down and fares are up. That means fewer award seats available and more pax competing for fewer UG (at a time when paid F and corporate discounts are up). So, of course, some distressed people out there.

But, the fact is that FF programs are like sheep. They aren't the same, but they do follow each other. So the grass isn't going to be greener elsewhere and, if it is, it won't be for long.

In the end, the CEO's duty is to shareholders. That means keeping pax happy enough to sell tickets and that's what's happening.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 10:30 am

Programs: UA .5M, Vistana 1-Star owner
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Kacee
Very few. UA is mostly institutionally held (currently 93.36%).
That comment got me to see who owns UAL stock & since 93% institutional of which over half is Jeffey himself. His cuts to get perceived profit are merely pathological, psychotic self-profit. Plus as countless many said, UAL would make not just any real profit but far more profit if they valued their customer. They're done when low fuel prices go.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Richard Chen
That comment got me to see who owns UAL stock & since 93% institutional of which over half is Jeffey himself. His cuts to get perceived profit are merely pathological, psychotic self-profit. Plus as countless many said, UAL would make not just any real profit but far more profit if they valued their customer. They're done when low fuel prices go.
Institutional owners tend to make broad sector plays, not analyze the merits of UAL vs. DAL vs. what have you. In that sense UAL valuation has benefited from a rising-tide environment despite laggard performance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.