Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA's 737-900 Aircraft With no Entertainment System

UA's 737-900 Aircraft With no Entertainment System

Old Aug 17, 2014, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by sbm12
The systems UA is deploying are a generation newer than the Gogo ATG stuff. That's going to be better in the long run. And it turn out I can be patient when I need to be so I'm personally happy that they have the better systems being installed, even if it took longer to get here. That's not pro-UA or pro-others. Just pro-what I think is useful as a consumer.
I expect that advantage is going to be rapidly closed when Gogo or one of their ATG competitors goes to LTE; GlobalXpress-level bandwidth without the latency is a real game changer.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 1:36 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Silver. Former AA gold. UA MP and DL Plat AMEX cardholder
Originally Posted by JerseyCityS
I have the joy of TWO segments on Tuesday with a brand new 737-900 with no entertainment.

I'm soooo sick of this.

And once they to get streamining entertainment that you have to watch on your own device, imagine a row in Y with 3 people trying to balance a bevarage, snack, a "device", and chargers all on one tiny tray table. What a HORRIBLE concept. Then one has to go to the restroom ------ the thought!
Like I said earlier, just fly other airlines. I refuse to pay for for service that warrants me to stream from my own device -- let alone the fact that powerports might not exist or the streaming technology might not be installed. Screw that.

I fault CO mgmt for lack of foresight when it comes to in-flight entertainment systems. So Smisek tells me to suck it up or fly away on other airlines? Great -- I"ll fly away!
Old Aug 18, 2014, 5:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by sbm12
The systems UA is deploying are a generation newer than the Gogo ATG stuff. That's going to be better in the long run. And it turn out I can be patient when I need to be so I'm personally happy that they have the better systems being installed, even if it took longer to get here. That's not pro-UA or pro-others. Just pro-what I think is useful as a consumer.
The UA systems may be newer, but when they give you less usable Wi-Fi time - because they don't turn on at 10000 ft as AA's Wi-Fi does - I don't see how that is especially useful as a consumer. Oh, and there's extra added attraction of UA's Wi-Fi blocking cell phone access once your flight is on the ground - another consumer "benefit."
Old Aug 18, 2014, 6:11 am

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, VA G
Originally Posted by mduell
I expect that advantage is going to be rapidly closed when Gogo or one of their ATG competitors goes to LTE; GlobalXpress-level bandwidth without the latency is a real game changer.
Depends on the quality of LTE and the backbone supporting it

I'm still surprised that there is not a PAYG option where you just get billed monthly for how many hours you use
Its annoying to have to put in the CC details on near every flight
Old Aug 18, 2014, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by LordTentacle
I'm still surprised that there is not a PAYG option where you just get billed monthly for how many hours you use
Its annoying to have to put in the CC details on near every flight
Oh, you mean like AA offers with Gogo? I gues that isn't a "consumer benefit."
Old Aug 18, 2014, 7:26 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by halls120
The UA systems may be newer, but when they give you less usable Wi-Fi time - because they don't turn on at 10000 ft as AA's Wi-Fi does - I don't see how that is especially useful as a consumer. Oh, and there's extra added attraction of UA's Wi-Fi blocking cell phone access once your flight is on the ground - another consumer "benefit."
What I don't understand, why can't wifi be gate to gate? WN does it.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
It was reported in the fleet update thread today that there are no more dark planes mainline fleet-wide. Of course, "dark" meant no IFE in this context, but it's nice to see there's something to do on a plane now, even if one has to spend money on wi-fi.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 1:38 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Million Miler, Marriott platinum, lifetime platinum
Originally Posted by aacharya
It was reported in the fleet update thread today that there are no more dark planes mainline fleet-wide. Of course, "dark" meant no IFE in this context, but it's nice to see there's something to do on a plane now, even if one has to spend money on wi-fi.
Onboard a new 737-900 ewr iah now. HATE not having a screen. Space constraints in Y make it incredibly frustrating to use a device. Especially with a drink on your tray. What a major downgrade in the possibilities for Y entertainment/comfort.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 6:19 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Million Miler, Marriott platinum, lifetime platinum
On my second brand new 900 today. Crew and ppassengers complaining about no video. Crew has to do mmanual safety demo. Welcome to 2014 on United!!!
Old Aug 19, 2014, 8:25 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
MODERATOR NOTE

I've deleted a numerous off topic posts as this thread is about discussing United 737's with no entertainment system and not other United aircraft, other airline's entertainment systems nor bickering amongst yourselves

goalie
United Forum Co-Moderator
Old Aug 20, 2014, 7:40 am

Programs: UA 1k MM, KLM Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by aacharya
Hmm. The IAD-SAN route is still often without entertainment. If you're lucky, you get the "mainscreen". Ridiculous on a transcon flight.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Jade_BR
Hmm. The IAD-SAN route is still often without entertainment. If you're lucky, you get the "mainscreen". Ridiculous on a transcon flight.
Are they truly dark, or just without TVs?
Old Aug 24, 2014, 9:02 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Lest anyone think the grass is always greener with DL, I'm on a DL 752 MSP-SFO right now, and while the aircraft was supposed to have their flashy in-seat entertainment product, it does not. We have dropdown mainscreens. No in-seat power (I'm in F). GoGo internet with a whopping download speed of .55 mbps (at a cost of $15.95 for the 3.5 hour flight). The streaming service (DeltaConnect) is so slow it's unwatchable. On my outbound MD90, their were no screens in the cabin - it was personal device streaming, or nothing. I could not connect to the streaming service. At least we had in-seat power.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 9:14 pm

Programs: UA G
Should this thread be closed? AFAIK, UA no longer has any dark 737-900s; the entire fleet has DirecTV and/or Wi-Fi.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 9:00 am

Programs: UA Silver, IHG Plat AMB, Hertz Pres. Circle, Avis Presidents Club; Caesars Diamond Plus
Originally Posted by unavaca
Should this thread be closed? AFAIK, UA no longer has any dark 737-900s; the entire fleet has DirecTV and/or Wi-Fi.
Yes, but...
The last three 737-900s I've been on on Saturdays/Sundays (in the past three months) were dark...due entirely to the fact that the DirecTV was broken. This past Saturday (IAH-LAS) they tried starting it a couple of times and then gave up. I heard two FAs tell some passengers "DirecTV doesn't work on weekends." Thought that was strange, but I couldn't hear the entire conversation. As we were getting off the plane I asked one of them to clarify. She said DirecTV maintenance people don't work on weekends, so if it's down on a Saturday or Sunday, you're out of luck...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.