Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread [ARCHIVE]

Old Dec 7, 2014, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive of older posts, the active thread is Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread

United operates United Clubs in the USA and many international locations -- see United Club and Other United Lounges for a detailed list.

UA's partners and the Star Alliance operates lounges in some of the same airports and many others. See the *A Lounge Finder and *A Lounge Access Policies . Additionally, some airports have "contract" lounges, admission is airport dependent.

United also operates International Global First Lounges and Arrival Lounges. These lounges have different access policy, see the linked threads for more.

To have access to the UCs, you will need to fit into one of the following
  • Be a UC member -- either directly purchased or combined with a credit card (such as Chase MP Club card)
    * UC members can have 2 guests or guest their spouse and dependent children under 21 years - Note at non-UA *A lounges UC members are allowed only 1 guest.
    * The actual UC membership card @ UCs is generally not required if you have a UA BP -- since the UC membership is tied to the MP account
    * Same day BP on ANY airline (arriving or departing)
    * Spousal memberships are available as an extra cost option
  • Be traveling as *G member (see UA *G on domestic-only itinerary limitation) with departing *A BP showing your status while in any cabin
    * Can guest 1 traveler with a departing *A BP.
    * UA *G cannot access domestic UCs unless traveling on a *A international itin (within 24 hours - can be different PNR)
    * If non-UA *G but crediting to UA MP, you will need to present your non-UA *G card. There have been some reports of refused entry -- agents claiming you have to be crediting to the same program as you are requesting entry
  • Be departing that airport in *A International Business or International First (with BP)
    * International First passengers can guest 1 traveler with a departing *A BP. No guests for International Business.
    * UA has an expanded access policy that those traveling same day International Business or International First on UA operated flights can access UCs at any same day connecting airport
  • Premium transcontinental non-stop (EWR-SFO/LAX & BOS-SFO) business class traveler
    * Limited to origin and destination airports of the premium transcontinental flight -- does not include connecting cities
    * No guests
  • Have or purchase a UC one-time access pass
    * No guests
  • Have Amtrak Select Plus or Select Executive status.
    * 1 guest
    * Same day BP on ANY airline (arriving or departing)

When BP/ticket is required, it can be either a paid or award ticket.

United Club T&Cs

Common questions
Children -- Are they counted as a guest?
Anyone with an individual ticket is counted as a guest. Lap children (below 2 years of age) are not counted as a guest. UC members can guest their dependent family at UCs (but this will not work at other *A lounges).

Is Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Puerto Rico (San Juan), .... international for UC access?
Yes
Travel to or from Canada, the Caribbean, Central America, Guam and Mexico are considered international itineraries for the purposes of United Club access.
What about Domestic First Class?
Domestic First Class is not provided with UC access. Unless you qualify based on some other reason, there is no access for paid or award domestic FC.

Can my guest stay if I leave the lounge?
Strictly speaking, no. Guests only have access when the sponsor is in the lounge. You have "responsibility" for the guest when they are in the lounge. Realistically, however, there is usually no problem with leaving a guest behind.

Can access to the UC be further restricted?
UA reserves the right to limit access including the number of guests at times of crowding.

Can I bring food into the UC?
Strictly speaking no. There may be local health & safety codes against this.

Can I guest 3 co-workers by using multiple access methods? Such as 2 via UC membership and 1 as *G international?
No -- you cannot stack access methods.

Can I access the UC on arrival and no forward *A travel or if departing on a non-*A carrier?
Maybe if UC member or UA *G on international itinerary or arriving on UC operated Polaris cabin itinarary (Alsoyou qill need to able to access to the UC location)
Starting 18 Aug 2016: United Club Access (including members) Only w/ Same-Day BP

Partner lounges
Access / reviews for TK's IAD *A lounge
Consolidated "Access to Lufthansa Lounge at IAD" Thread [2014 forward]
Best IAD Lounge
Lufthansa Lounge Access in DTW/Detroit
Accessing the *A Lounge at LAX/TBIT as a UA flyer
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread [ARCHIVE]

Old Jun 11, 2012, 7:42 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by TheAJ
I'm flying United out of San Diego tmrw . . I have Priority Pass membership which gives me access to the Red Carpet Club, but I left my card at home. Can I provide my Priority Pass Number and gain access to the club?
Priority pass does not get you access to United Clubs in the US.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by cruisr

Airport: san diego (CA) - International (SAN), Terminal 1
Lounge: UNITED CLUB

Location: Airside - Mezzanine Level, near the departure gates.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 7:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by cruisr
Priority Pass cards obtained from US-based financial institutions (Read: Amex) do not get you RCC access. If you go out and buy a Priority Pass membership on your own, you should have access.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerChrisK
Priority Pass cards obtained from US-based financial institutions (Read: Amex) do not get you RCC access. If you go out and buy a Priority Pass membership on your own, you should have access.
didnt realize that. thanks
Old Jun 25, 2012, 11:32 am
formerly RZachSmith

Wife and I have 3 legs on domestic UA coming up in the next couple of weeks. She is *G with TK through a recent match but has not yet received a physical card. Will a printout from the TK website showing her TK Elite/*G status and TK FF# get the job done for United Club access? Limited experience with UC "Dragons" so I wasn't sure how they felt about temporary status verification like this.

Thanks!
Old Jun 25, 2012, 11:58 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RZachSmith
Wife and I have 3 legs on domestic UA coming up in the next couple of weeks. She is *G with TK through a recent match but has not yet received a physical card. Will a printout from the TK website showing her TK Elite/*G status and TK FF# get the job done for United Club access? Limited experience with UC "Dragons" so I wasn't sure how they felt about temporary status verification like this.
Depends on the airport and club.

I've seen them pull the status from the reservation, and I've seen them demand a *G card.

The latter is the more probable outcome IME. It is possible they will allow her in using the printout, but it's also possible they will claim they need a real card (which is stupid given UA's issues getting out cards this year in a timely fashion).
Old Jun 25, 2012, 12:25 pm

Programs: LH SEN (LH*G), HH Diamond, AB Gold (1W Saph)
Another question for the experts:

Next month my brother will be flying from Germany to the US, via Newark.

The trans-Atlantic is in Lufthansa Business, the connecting flight is on United Express, on a Dash 8 (in Economy, because no other cabin is available). He has no FF status.

Would he have lounge access at Newark based on his same-day international ticket? The website seems to suggest he wouldn't (since his onward flight is in Economy), but does anyone know how this is handled in practice?
Old Jun 25, 2012, 2:47 pm

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
Question about the Credit Card "one time" passes:

Are we able to use those at two locations on day-of-travel? I have two layovers of roughly 2 and 3 hours, each, at ORD and SFO and they state one-time instead of one day or all day. Any experience in having the lovely agents allow us to hang on to these at ORD and give them up at SFO?

edit: actually, with my new *G status via TK and a UA award tik, will I even need a pass? Domestic (US) itinerary. Question still stands with buddy traveling with me. Actually, hell... he would get guested in, right?
Old Jun 25, 2012, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fly UA MM 1K, Sleep Hyatt & IHG, Hertzer. 2022 Flyertalk Fantasy Football Champion
Originally Posted by exerda
My other thought is that the UC is not something to get arrested over! Some pre-wrapped cheese and crackers are simply not worth getting the cops involved. Oh, but it is ironic that a SQ flyer would be denied access to a UC, too...
No kidding, talk about a true life "when keeping it real goes wrong" episode
Old Jun 25, 2012, 5:44 pm

Programs: QF Plat, VA Plat, BA Gold
Hi FT,
Flying BOI-SFO-EWR-YUL tonight on UA; I'm not a very frequent traveller of *A domestic flights in the US, but will my LH*G suffice in granting me access in SFO, even though it is a domestic leg? Sorry for the trivial question ...
Old Jun 25, 2012, 5:53 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mrredskin
edit: actually, with my new *G status via TK and a UA award tik, will I even need a pass? Domestic (US) itinerary. Question still stands with buddy traveling with me. Actually, hell... he would get guested in, right?
If you have your *G card, no problem at all. If not, it's possible the lounge dragon may accept something in lieu of the card (status on the itin, printout of card / status from TK, etc.), but not guaranteed.

Originally Posted by im.daniel
Hi FT,
Flying BOI-SFO-EWR-YUL tonight on UA; I'm not a very frequent traveller of *A domestic flights in the US, but will my LH*G suffice in granting me access in SFO, even though it is a domestic leg? Sorry for the trivial question ...
Yes. *G will get you into any *G lounge in the world, including RCCs, if flying on a *G itin that day.

The domestic restrictions are on UA and US *G pax trying to use UA and US domestic lounges. As a UA *G, I have used a LH *G lounge within the United States on a domestic itin without a problem.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 4:55 pm

Lounge Access when connecting

I'm flying First/Global First from BOS-IAD-MUC. Will I have lounge access in Boston on the outbound trip and IAD on the return, even though my next flight will be first (no lounge access) instead of GlobalFirst (lounge access)?
Old Jul 9, 2012, 5:12 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by JoeM
I'm flying First/Global First from BOS-IAD-MUC. Will I have lounge access in Boston on the outbound trip and IAD on the return, even though my next flight will be first (no lounge access) instead of GlobalFirst (lounge access)?
Yes.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 5:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K [ex-GS],1+MM, SPG PLAT
Based on my experience, you will have access in BOS and IAD. Same-day international F ticket.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 5:45 pm

Programs: UA, SPG, Hilton, Mrt., PC, Hertz
That's correct. Look under UA - club access.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.