Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jan 5, 12, 10:47 pm   #1
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: SEA
Posts: 1,151
Received "United Club" passes in the mail [from Chase]...

Received a letter today from Chase/Continental thanking me for having had the OnePass credit card (had it & closed it last year). The letter says "enclosed are your anniversary benefits...when you renew your OnePass card membership..." Enclosed are two "travel discount certificates" as well as two "one-time passes for United Club".

I do not plan on renewing the card (which I actually have already closed months ago). There is nothing on the passes which indicate I need to be a current OnePass cardholder (or need to present my OnePass card along with the passes in order to gain club access).

The passes state: "This pass grants one person one-time access to United Club". If I use the passes would I likely simply hand the club staff the pass - or would they require a check to see if I am a current OnePass cardholder, etc.?
muji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 12, 11:45 pm   #2
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,481
Does the passes have your name on it? Do the terms prohibit you from giving the pass to someone else?

If the pass can be a gift, then I don't see how they can enforce the card-holder requirement. In any case, my guess is that you can use them even without the card.
__________________
Award Nexus: One-click award search and award email alerts for Star Alliance and oneworld airlines (now with SkyTeam support!)
ckpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 12, 8:09 am   #3
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Diners Club
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami & London
Programs: AA 2MM Perpetual Platinum; HH & SPG Gold
Posts: 20,539
Moderator action

Moved to UA forum because discussion pertains to club admission, the source of the passes is incidental.
mia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 12, 8:21 am   #4
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: SEA
Posts: 1,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckpeter View Post
Do the passes have your name on it? Do the terms prohibit you from giving the pass to someone else?
They have no names on them (but there is a blank line where you are to fill in the "United Club Guest Name"), so it appears that they can be used by, and even given to, anyone. (They also have a scannable barcode - so I wonder if upon scanning the passes the club staff might then say the passes are invalid since the scan shows that the person does not have a OnePass account.)

I'm wondering if others have received this same letter with its discount offer and these passes.
muji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 12, 8:28 am   #5
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by muji View Post
They have no names on them (but there is a blank line where you are to fill in the "United Club Guest Name"), so it appears that they can be used by, and even given to, anyone. (They also have a scannable barcode - so I wonder if upon scanning the passes the club staff might then say the passes are invalid since the scan shows that the person does not have a OnePass account.)

I'm wondering if others have received this same letter with its discount offer and these passes.
I would highly doubt that the systems are that sophisticated to track whether a pass is linked to an active credit account. It wouldn't make sense for the companies to build a complex system only for a limited-circulation pass that costs them a few dollars.

My suggestion is for you to just fill in your name and go in. If there is any trouble, you can always say that this was a gift.

I will probably be receiving one of those soon. If you have any trouble using them, I would certainly appreciate if you could post back.
__________________
Award Nexus: One-click award search and award email alerts for Star Alliance and oneworld airlines (now with SkyTeam support!)
ckpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 12, 9:43 am   #6
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 717
I got two of these and then cancelled my OnePass card. When I went to a United Club (after the OnePass credit card account had been closed and the cards were destroyed) I handed the club passes to the agent at the door, she had me sign the back, and I was granted access. It was very simple. I think you won't have a problem using them.
danpeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 12, 10:47 am   #7
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: San Antonio
Programs: AA, SWA, CO, UA, PC Plat, HH Gold, SPG
Posts: 597
I actually received 3 of them - guess they were sticky - for a card I cancelled earlier in the fall. Only got them for me - we also canx Mrs bj2757's card at the same time - guess they figure she's really gone. Our's were the Continental Cards - we still have fairly new United cards (that I wish I didn't have so I could get the even better United card).
bj2757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 12, 3:23 pm   #8
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: DFW
Programs: AA Exec Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Silver, HHonors & SPG Gold
Posts: 225
Got these two. My card is coming to the 1 yr mark (plan on canceling it). Looks like these can be used by anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muji View Post
Received a letter today from Chase/Continental thanking me for having had the OnePass credit card (had it & closed it last year). The letter says "enclosed are your anniversary benefits...when you renew your OnePass card membership..." Enclosed are two "travel discount certificates" as well as two "one-time passes for United Club".

I do not plan on renewing the card (which I actually have already closed months ago). There is nothing on the passes which indicate I need to be a current OnePass cardholder (or need to present my OnePass card along with the passes in order to gain club access).

The passes state: "This pass grants one person one-time access to United Club". If I use the passes would I likely simply hand the club staff the pass - or would they require a check to see if I am a current OnePass cardholder, etc.?
filelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 12, 4:45 pm   #9
RNE
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: AKC
Programs: UA:Au2014 UC:PP Crown&Anchor:Dmnd CaptainsCircle:Pt Latitudes:Brz Marriott:Au Hilton:Ag SPG:Ag
Posts: 5,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by danpeake View Post
I got two of these and then cancelled my OnePass card. When I went to a United Club (after the OnePass credit card account had been closed and the cards were destroyed) I handed the club passes to the agent at the door, she had me sign the back, and I was granted access. It was very simple. I think you won't have a problem using them.
That's good to know, especially because it flies in the face of the T&C (bolding mine).

Quote:
You will receive two (2) Club passes after account opening and every account anniversary thereafter. Please allow 8 10 weeks after account opening for delivery of Club passes. Please allow 2 4 weeks from your credit card account anniversary date each year thereafter for delivery. Club passes cannot be shipped to PO Boxes or addresses outside the 50 United States and Washington D.C. To qualify for this bonus offer, your credit card account must be open and not in default at the time of fulfillment. Valid when presented at any United Club location. Each pass is valid for one (1) guest for one (1) visit. United Club representatives will retain this certificate. No cash value. Cannot be replaced if lost or stolen. All United Club membership guidelines apply. Chase is not responsible for offer fulfillment.

I received two cards myself and gave them to my son shortly thereafter, so I don't have them to refer to now, but would someone who still has a card check to see if there is any kind of serial number on it? If not, then I would suppose you're good to go because how else could COdbaUA know a particular card is associated with a closed account and therefore invalid?
__________________
Soothsayer, seer, oracle, augur, prophet, sage, prognosticator, diviner, fortuneteller, crystal gazer, clairvoyant, psychic, haruspex, and all around great guy!
RNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 12, 4:50 pm   #10
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNE View Post
That's good to know, especially because it flies in the face of the T&C (bolding mine).
Fulfillment in your quote can very easily refer to printing/mailing of passes (versus redemption at a club).
okrogius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 12, 5:11 pm   #11
RNE
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: AKC
Programs: UA:Au2014 UC:PP Crown&Anchor:Dmnd CaptainsCircle:Pt Latitudes:Brz Marriott:Au Hilton:Ag SPG:Ag
Posts: 5,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by okrogius View Post
Fulfillment in your quote can very easily refer to printing/mailing of passes (versus redemption at a club).
Perhaps, but it's a stretch and we still need to settle the serial number question. Anyone?
__________________
Soothsayer, seer, oracle, augur, prophet, sage, prognosticator, diviner, fortuneteller, crystal gazer, clairvoyant, psychic, haruspex, and all around great guy!
RNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 12, 7:48 pm   #12
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Programs: RC Plat, FPC Plat, HH Diamond, National Exec Elite, UA 1K, VX Gold
Posts: 4,772
I received this mailing today as well - 2 "One-Time Passes" and 2 "Travel Discount Certificates".

One-Time Passes have three different identifiiers on the back.

1) A bar code
2) A number above the bar code (which is the same on both passes)
3) A C00xxxxx number to the left which is different on each card

There are brief T&C's on the back of the card, but none of them refer to whether this card is transferable.

The two discount certificates:

$25 off a flight $175 - $274
$50 off a flight $275 - $399
$100 off a flight $400 or more

Must be a R/T ticket
Must include a Sat night stay, book 14 days in advance
Not valid with W / S / T / L / K or G class fares

I am going to keep this card, by the way, for the time being (along with my MP Visa Signature).
LarkSFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 12, 9:37 pm   #13
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: IAH
Programs: UA GS, DL PM, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 1,588
Most likely the passes are sent out periodically as part of a batch process bulk mailing. If your anniversary is coming up soon and your batch is due to be processed - even if it isnt yet due to be mailed - you might get the mailing for a card that has been cancelled.
Air Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 12, 10:23 pm   #14
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,481
On a side note, can someone post when these passes expire? Is it one year from issue (12 months) or valid until end of next year (2013 for those received in 2012)?
__________________
Award Nexus: One-click award search and award email alerts for Star Alliance and oneworld airlines (now with SkyTeam support!)
ckpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 12, 11:14 pm   #15
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Programs: RC Plat, FPC Plat, HH Diamond, National Exec Elite, UA 1K, VX Gold
Posts: 4,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckpeter View Post
On a side note, can someone post when these passes expire? Is it one year from issue (12 months) or valid until end of next year (2013 for those received in 2012)?
Mine expire 12/30/2012.
LarkSFO is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 3:25 pm.