Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2012 Let's Eat - International First, BusinessFirst, & Business Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2012 Let's Eat - International First, BusinessFirst, & Business Class

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2012, 4:44 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by DrivingRain
Thanks for posting...

Im not all too familiar with UA, but shrimp thermidor? A sort of blatant reminder that UA has not upped its game to come even close to SQ's standard lobster thermidor offering.

Everything else gets a meh, even if slightly better than I would have thought vis a vis BF.

I like the champagne choice...

What was your choice of main? How was it?
I had the shrimp thermidor and it was NOTHING like what thermidor is supposed to be like. In fact, it was tiny shrimp that was used and the creamy sauce was heavy to make up for th lack of shrimp. I found i odd since on the way over we had two large shrimp cocktails. It wasn't bad but they are taking liberty with concept of calling it a thermidor.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by mh3265a
I had the shrimp thermidor and it was NOTHING like what thermidor is supposed to be like. In fact, it was tiny shrimp that was used and the creamy sauce was heavy to make up for th lack of shrimp. I found i odd since on the way over we had two large shrimp cocktails. It wasn't bad but they are taking liberty with concept of calling it a thermidor.
UA's menu writers should be required to actually eat the food they are describing.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 5:33 pm

Programs: AA2, DL2, Amtrak2, US2, SPG1, MAR2
Too bad. Did you happen to get a glimpse of the lamb of another pax?
Old Jul 4, 2012, 8:18 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
DXB-IAD
UA 977
Boeing 777 (old config)
Global First

FEATURED CHAMPAGNES AND WINES
  • Philipponnat Brut 2006, Champagne; For lovers of rich, decadent Champagne, Philipponnat's 2006 has toasty, nutty intensity, baked apples and pears and a long, extravagant finish
  • Pascal Jolivet Sancerre 2010, Loire Valley; Sauvignon Blanc from chalky hills along the Loire River generates a rich texture and a lengthy finish despite the mouth-watering, refreshing crispness
  • Benzinger Family Chardonnay 2009, Carneros; Pioneers of organic winegrowing, the Benzingers believe that their wines gain balance and character from their organic methods, and we think so, too
  • Chateau Fourcas Dupre Listrac-Medoc Cru Bourgeois 2009; Called the vintage of the cnetury, 2009 Bordeaux is certainly special: fruit intensity, spicy barrels and balance have all magically combined
  • Alexander Valley Vineyards Syrah 2008, Sonoma County; The Shiraz grape is more often called by its traditional French name in California, and this Syrah hews strongly towards classic Sonoma red wine intensity
Only 2 red wine choices in Int'l F?

Originally Posted by JetAway
UA's menu writers should be required to actually eat the food they are describing.
That should be AFTER the meals are eaten by UA's execs and chefs!
Old Jul 4, 2012, 8:41 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Million Miler, Marriott platinum, lifetime platinum
Shrimp Koliwada

I want to know what that is.........I'm a fairly seasoned person with great NYC restaurants, and all over the world. What is that???

I would bet everything that if you asked the FA in GF that they would have no idea waht it was.

UA GF and BF has become a total joke. Anybody who pays for this is a fool. PMCO BF was a far better product. Of course it doesn't compare to Asian F class, or LH F for example, but it didnt' claim to be either.

What a shame. I'm so tired of reading and seeing pictures of UA's pitiful excuse for service.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 10:58 pm

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by JerseyCityS
Shrimp Koliwada

I want to know what that is.........I'm a fairly seasoned person with great NYC restaurants, and all over the world. What is that???
It's Indian. Spice marinated deep fried shrimp. Probably better than most bland airline crap. Here's a recipe.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 5:23 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Unfortunately, I did not get to see what others got so I'm not sure what the lamb looked like.

Originally Posted by 1kBill
Only 2 red wine choices in Int'l F?
I was tired so they may actually have had a third red option but I'm not 100% sure.

Originally Posted by JerseyCityS
Shrimp Koliwada

I want to know what that is.........
Originally Posted by lexdevil
It's Indian. Spice marinated deep fried shrimp. Probably better than most bland airline crap. Here's a recipe.
Lexdevil describes it well. It was basically a large shrimp that had been fried in some batter that was red and had a slight spice to it. Pretty good for the flight. I didn't have the other appetizer, though.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 3:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium & Lifetime Platinum, United Platinum, Delta Silver
IAD-MUC Business class

Menu was the same one posted a few times on here

- Beef filet with gnochi

- Spice rubbed chicken

- Fish (forget exact description)

- Tri-color ravioli

I had the beef - the filet was excellent - flavorful and cooked correctly. The gnochi was bland. The meal started with a large salad (can get dressing on the size), warm bread from basket, and large shrimp cocktail.

Dessert was cheese (served with port), grapes and crackers, or ice cream sundae

Arrival meal was the deli plate (did not each much of it) plus fruit and yogurt and choice of warm bread (had cinnamon role, which was good)
Old Jul 8, 2012, 3:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium & Lifetime Platinum, United Platinum, Delta Silver
MUC - IAD Business class

Menu was different than any I have seen posted on here - it was good and seemed creative

- Filet of beef with red wine reduction

- Indian chicken (can't remember if it was masala?) with spinach

- Indian spiced shrimp with basmati rice and juliene vegetables

- Tri-color ravioli

I had the shrimp, which was excellent. It tasted like a restaurant meal with perfectly cooked shrimp, a slightly spicy sauce, and rice with vegetables all mixed together in one bowl. My seat mate had the chicken - it was a large piece of chicken with spinach (not mixed together in one bowl like the shrimp).

The meal started with a generous sized salad of mixed greens, tomato, pears, and croutons. I had balsamic vinaigrette on the side and a warm pretzel role. There was also a good smoked salmon appetizer. Sundae and cheese cart for dessert. The cheese was served with port or a selection of spirits (I had Disaronno on the rocks). Three white wines were offered - a Chardonnay, a "Spanish wine," and a Riesling. I had the Riesling, which was very good, not very sweet (accurately described on menu)

The pre-arrival meal was some kind of open faced chicken sandwich, which was served hot and was actually pretty good. It was a large meal, as it was served with a cucumber / pepper / tomato salad (large bowl of it - no lettuce) and a large fruit bowl and a chocolate for dessert.

Meal was very good - served on old style plane (equipment swap). Big improvement on offering earlier this year MUC-IAD. Some of the best choices and most flavorful dinner options I have seen.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 6:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Anyone with current SFO-NRT in BF Menus to share?
Old Jul 8, 2012, 7:16 pm

Programs: United GS 2MM,, Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Platinum
[B]DXB-IAD
UA 977
Boeing 777 (old config)
Global First
Boy this flight seems to get the old configuration all the time. Like the last two times I have been on it. And it's not a cheap fare, though i suspect united ops has no ability or interest in linking those two issues.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 8:40 pm

Any changes to the meals in intra-Asia (especially NRT-BKK/SIN) routes?
Old Jul 8, 2012, 9:05 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by BrianUA800
Any changes to the meals in intra-Asia (especially NRT-BKK/SIN) routes?
BKK -> NRT a couple weeks ago was pathetic as usual in GF.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 2:10 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA GLD, MRT GLD, HYT PLT, Fairmont PLT, SPG PLT
Had the lamb on IAD to DXB last week. It was actually rather tasty.

Old Jul 9, 2012, 4:54 am

Originally Posted by SAN 1K
Boy this flight seems to get the old configuration all the time. Like the last two times I have been on it. And it's not a cheap fare, though i suspect united ops has no ability or interest in linking those two issues.
You're telling me. In my last 3 round trips (6 segments) 4 of my segments were in the old configuration! Not fun but the improved food service makes it a little more bearable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.